U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 03:55 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,766,592 times

Advertisements

Still no compelling reason to live there.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:57 PM

15,461 posts, read 25,405,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Go back to my first post in this thread, top of page 5. I was supporting the Bay Area.
Never said you weren't, it was clearly a reference to posts you make outside of this thread. Still doesn't change the fact you're getting very defensive with the Ozark comparison.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:02 PM

6,805 posts, read 5,022,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Still no compelling reason to live there.
A whole lot of people prefer the rural lifestyle.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,766,592 times
I'm sure they do.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:08 PM

3,683 posts, read 8,337,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
IMO, at least in Silicon Valley, folks with the dough aren't necessarily as much into the bling cars as they are in SoCal. You will find lots of high-worth tech folks driving Priuses and other rather ordinary cars.
You got that right. The most popular cars in our company parking lot are the Prius (for sure), and then maybe the Leaf, and then the BMW 3-series. My boss's boss made $26M last year and he drives an old POS Lexus that I'd be embarrassed to drive.

Folks that live in the Las Vegas neighborhood where we have a vacation home probably make less than 1/4th what they make in my neighborhood here, but they drive cars that on average are far newer and cost at least 2x as much. Spending a large percentage of your income on a car seems inversely related to educational attainment.

People in Houston say the same thing about people in Dallas. Many more expensive cars seen in Dallas, despite Houston having more millionaires and higher per-capita income.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:08 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,541,677 times
I've long had a strange love-affair with the SF Bay area, even though I would never consider residing there (urban politics just don't sit well with me in the long-term). To put it somewhat vaguely, the SFBA just has a certain atmosphere--or "pace," if you will--that isn't matched by any other urban setting that I've experienced.

And yeah, the yuppy classes of SF proper, Marin County, etc. are what lots of people would term "materialistic," but that's not opposed to the yuppy classes of really any urban metropolis.

Besides, "materialism" is an increasingly subjective concept if you ask me...

Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 PM

32,342 posts, read 55,140,686 times
I was at the 7-11 in Dimond yesterday and I was standing in line behind this stunningly beautiful girl(early 20s) and she was dressed to the nines, holding a ten thousand dollar handbag, wearing at least 50 thousand dollars on her fingers and wrists, hair and weave just fabulous, bragging loudly on the phone to someone about some party she was at with Kim Kardashian(I kid u not) ...I cringed not because of the materialism but the gum smacking, name dropping boasting-obviously a cry for help.

But thats not the most embarrassing part.

Then she says 'The Range Rover parked next to mine is aighht but aint got rims' and she starts laughing into the phone. RIGHT THEN, this tow truck come out of nowhere and swoops on her Range Rover. A guy gets out, starts writing something on a clipboard and she drops everything and runs out of the store hysterical, swagger all gone(lol). So I pay for my stuff and walk out to hear her screaming at the Repo man to lower her car...it was quite a spectacle.

Ironically the Range Rover she put down because it didnt have fancy rims was the car I was driving. My dad's. If I dont take it out it will sit in the garage for weeks on end cause he prefers his Ford truck. Hes not as hoity-toity as me.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:14 PM

6,805 posts, read 5,022,275 times
I need a picture to be sure you are appropriately describing stunning beauty.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:20 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,611,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I was at the 7-11 in Dimond yesterday and I was standing in line behind this stunningly beautiful girl(early 20s) and she was dressed to the nines, holding a ten thousand dollar handbag, wearing at least 50 thousand dollars on her fingers and wrists, hair and weave just fabulous, bragging loudly on the phone to someone about some party she was at with Kim Kardashian(I kid u not) ...I cringed not because of the materialism but the gum smacking, name dropping boasting-obviously a cry for help.

But thats not the most embarrassing part.

Then she says 'The Range Rover parked next to mine is aighht but aint got rims' and she starts laughing into the phone. RIGHT THEN, this tow truck come out of nowhere and swoops on her Range Rover. A guy gets out, starts writing something on a clipboard and she drops everything and runs out of the store hysterical, swagger all gone(lol). So I pay for my stuff and walk out to hear her screaming at the Repo man to lower her car...it was quite a spectacle.

Ironically the Range Rover she put down because it didnt have fancy rims was the car I was driving. My dad's. If I dont take it out it will sit in the garage for weeks on end cause he prefers his Ford truck. Hes not as hoity-toity as me.
Oh, the experience to see that happen was priceless (pun intended)!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:20 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,644,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
You got that right. The most popular cars in our company parking lot are the Prius (for sure), and then maybe the Leaf, and then the BMW 3-series. My boss's boss made $26M last year and he drives an old POS Lexus that I'd be embarrassed to drive.

i don't think it would be surprising to have a daily driver and a more expensive sports car for evening and weekend use.

i rarely drive my sports car to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland