U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:29 AM

15,300 posts, read 17,714,809 times

Advertisements

My aunt, uncle, cousins have lived by Sonoma many years. They love the warm weather there & vineyards. Not a long drive to SF...

Best of Luck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 03:08 PM

222 posts, read 369,066 times
Where jackets are frequently needed is mainly in the fog zone; SF, Berkeley, Oakland. Winter further inland (Lafayette, Walnut Creek, etc.) is colder than bayside areas. Mill Valley gets a major rainy season annually. Outside of those areas, especially in Napa, Sonoma, San Jose, Fremont, Benicia and Vallejo are closer to what you're looking for.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:24 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,230,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
My aunt, uncle, cousins have lived by Sonoma many years. They love the warm weather there & vineyards. Not a long drive to SF...

Best of Luck...
Oddly, I nearly moved to Sonoma last year. Had a job and home. I didn't own a car at the time, so had to back out. I realized if I bought a car, I couldn't afford the move.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorbaTheGeek View Post
Where jackets are frequently needed is mainly in the fog zone; SF, Berkeley, Oakland. Winter further inland (Lafayette, Walnut Creek, etc.) is colder than bayside areas. Mill Valley gets a major rainy season annually. Outside of those areas, especially in Napa, Sonoma, San Jose, Fremont, Benicia and Vallejo are closer to what you're looking for.
Hey, thanks! I accept that NorCal will have cooler temps. I feel that if I look in Orange County, I'll get the temps I want and a bit of the vibe I like. No place will ever be San Francisco, but life is about compromise.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:07 PM

16,429 posts, read 22,287,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Hey, thanks! I accept that NorCal will have cooler temps. I feel that if I look in Orange County, I'll get the temps I want and a bit of the vibe I like. No place will ever be San Francisco, but life is about compromise.
orange County is very different from the Bay Area. SoCal in general is but the closest you might find would be in San Diego, even then it's relative.

As mentioned the basic fog belt around the bay are SF, northern parts of Oakland and the hills, Berkeley and points north through Richmond.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:04 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,433,694 times
Yeah Orange County doesn't have much of an urban vibe at all. 90% of it is beige cookie-cutter suburbia. Some of the coastal areas are interesting in terms of wining and dining, but they're super expensive, and overrun with either frat bros, teenage surfer freaks, or uber-elite Republicans.

If you want to move to SoCal because of the weather and want a bit more urbanity, I'd look at somewhere like Long Beach, it has some funky areas. Or if you can afford it (since you seem to be able to afford somewhere like Irvine) maybe look at places like Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach.

The LA/OC area is a totally different animal from the Bay Area though. It has some interesting aspects, and great weather, but it just does not feel urban to me, and I don't really care for its weird mix of suburban sprawl with urban squalor.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Yeah Orange County doesn't have much of an urban vibe at all. 90% of it is beige cookie-cutter suburbia. Some of the coastal areas are interesting in terms of wining and dining, but they're super expensive, and overrun with either frat bros, teenage surfer freaks, or uber-elite Republicans.

If you want to move to SoCal because of the weather and want a bit more urbanity, I'd look at somewhere like Long Beach, it has some funky areas. Or if you can afford it (since you seem to be able to afford somewhere like Irvine) maybe look at places like Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach.

The LA/OC area is a totally different animal from the Bay Area though. It has some interesting aspects, and great weather, but it just does not feel urban to me, and I don't really care for its weird mix of suburban sprawl with urban squalor.
Ugh. I know. I'm trying to convince myself.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:25 PM

584 posts, read 1,129,939 times
Quote:
heavy wool pea coats & parkas are too warm to wear , it doesnt get cold enough for heavy winter coats, you will end up leaving it at home or carrying it most of the time
I disagree with that. Some people in SF are known to wear peacoats are parkas religiously. It makes sense because everyday in SF feels like a day on the docks. Particularly, the peacoat and a wool beanie combo is a classic look for many of the ghetto people in SF in neighborhoods like Hunter's Point, Lakeview and the Fillmore. I also have noticed in my thirty years on this planet that black people, as a group, are more prone to dislike the cold and dress more appropriately for the weather than many whites who will brave 50 degree and below weather with shorts and sandals.

It also varies from person to person. You can almost wear whatever you want in SF because of the weather. Some people in SF are permanently acclimated to the weather and wear nothing but t-shirts and other short sleeved shirts all year round, other people never leave their residence without a hoodie, others wear heavy jackets all year round. The average day in SF is like one of those breezy days in the Spring or Fall, when you will see some people wearing shorts and other people wearing winter jackets, where the day starts out cold or cool and warms up by mid day only to get cool or cold again at night.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:52 PM

11,907 posts, read 20,327,277 times
This is one of those things that affects every one differently -- heck -- even affects the same person differently. I had a different attitude towards the weather here when I wasn't menopausal and arthritic. Now I can be hot and cold at the same time and stuff hurts in the damp.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:25 AM

622 posts, read 959,129 times
I'm out in the Avenues and last night's windstorm made it freezing cold out here. My boyfriend and I were walking from the train to my house after catching an evening movie and brrrrrrrrrrr. However, I was bundled up in a peacoat, heavy scarf, knit hat, and was wearing gloves. I just enjoyed it.

Err on the side of having a jacket or coat. If it ends up that you don't need it, fine. However, I always leave the house with a something because I'm not a fan of being chilly or freezing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland