Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,622 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I will be moving to the SF bay area this summer (from New England - we have no experience in California) and were hoping to get some suggestions on what areas and neighborhoods to look for housing. Our primary concern is cost of housing and having a relatively easy commute (both by public transport and by car), given the following parameters:.

* No kids, no pets. Both of us are in our early 30s.
* Wife will be working at UCSF (probably for 3 years), primarily at the Parnassus campus, but will occasionally need to get to the VA Hospital in the north part of the city. She needs to be at work early in the morning most days, but will occasionally need to come in during the late afternoon or night.
* I will be working near San Carlos (about 5 minutes drive from the San Carlos Caltrain station). I will be commuting early in the morning (at or before rush hour) and returning at night (after rush hour)
* We will both have cars given that we will be working odd hours.
* Living in the suburbs unfortunately or in Oakland is unfortunately not an option, primarily for my wife's work reasons. We need to be in the city or relatively close to the city.

Here are the pro/cons of the neighborhoods we have thought about so far (again, primarily from a transportation/cost perspective):

1. Sunset - PROS: Very close to Parnassus. Relatively easy access to Parnassus by bus/N Judah and by car. Mostly single family homes that are relatively affordable and large by SF standards. Parking is relatively easy. CONS: The closer to UCSF we go, the harder for me the commute is. 19th ave is congested in the morning. Virtually no public transportation option.

2. Parkside/West Portal. Similar to Sunset, with an easier commute for me. PROS: Better commute for me, easier access to 280. Parking is relatively easy. CONS: Bit of a longer drive to UCSF for my wife. Public transit to parnassus is more difficult and takes longer. No public transit option to San Carlos for me.

3. Miraloma/Sunnyside. PROS: Relatively easy commute for both of us. Quick access to UCSF by bus and car for my wife, and easy access to the 280/101 for me. Public transit is a pain but not impossible for me (Glen Park Bart to Caltrain). CONS: Expensive area. Mostly large (larger than we need) single family homes $3800/mo and up.

4. Noe Valley: PROS: Relatively easy drive to Parnassus for my wife, and to the 101 for me. Mixed bag in terms of cost, but housing seems to be relatively abundant here and a decent value. CONS: Public transit is relatively difficult to Parnassus (surprisingly so) and to San Carlos. Parking a bit more difficult but doable.

5. SOMA. PROS: Easy drive down the 280 and then to the 101 for me. I could also take the Caltrain directly to San Carlos. CONS: Longer more difficult drive for my wife. Possible congestion from downtown traffic. Public transit commute is on the N-Judah which offers a direct line to Parnassus, but again there may be congestion issues. Driving issues caused by SF Giants games. Parking is difficult and expensive. Housing is extremely expensive. Worst value of all options.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you think there is a neighborhood I should add to the list, please let me know! Or if I have misstated something about one of the neighborhoods on the list, please also let me know. Thanks in advance

Last edited by erhacne; 06-21-2013 at 11:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 09:31 AM

370 posts, read 862,701 times
you need to list a budget and your housing requirements (size, bedrooms, etc).

Old 06-22-2013, 10:24 AM

41 posts, read 142,281 times
Don't forget that your wife can also take UCSF shuttles: UCSF | Campus Life Services | Transportation | Shuttles at UCSF | Routes & Timetables.

This opens up options a little more. In particular - places close to UCSF Mission Bay become more attractive, because the shuttles run pretty frequently from there to Parnassus. This makes Mission Bay itself a possible place to live (though it will be expensive), but also the Dogpatch and Potrero Hill, which can be less expensive, and are close to the freeways and the 22nd St Caltrain station. There's also a UCSF shuttle from 15th/Harrison.

Re: the Sunset - parking in the Inner Sunset (9th/Irving area) is much more difficult than most people thing. It's a great area, though.

Yes, budget and size requirements would be helpful. Also, don't underestimate how long rush hour on the Peninsula can be, especially Thursday and Friday evenings.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,622 times
Thanks for your replies so far. We are looking for a 2br or large 1br. We'd ideally like to pay $3000-$4000 per month.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:06 PM

That's a very generous budget, so you should have your choices of places to live.

If Caltrain access and cost are your most important i would suggest Potrero or Dogpatch as well but only if your wife can easily catch shuttles to Parnassus from that area.

Most areas of SF arent that conveniently located to Caltrain and SOMA right around the Ballpark is very expensive. Potrero/dogpatch will be cheaper and you should be able to find a place for $3k to $4k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhacne View Post
Thanks for your replies so far. We are looking for a 2br or large 1br. We'd ideally like to pay $3000-$4000 per month.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:25 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
If Caltrain access and cost are your most important i would suggest Potrero or Dogpatch as well but only if your wife can easily catch shuttles to Parnassus from that area.
I would avoid Dogpatch like the plague. It is one of the most isolated areas of SF. Even with the UCSF shuttle,it is still a half hour to Parnassus with cross-town city traffic.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:51 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
1. Sunset - PROS: Very close to Parnassus. Relatively easy access to Parnassus by bus/N Judah and by car. Mostly single family homes that are relatively affordable and large by SF standards. Parking is relatively easy. CONS: The closer to UCSF we go, the harder for me the commute is. 19th ave is congested in the morning. Virtually no public transportation option.
There are other ways to go besides 19th Ave. Hint:follow the number 6 bus route to get from Inner Sunset to Parkside. Inner Sunset near UCSF is a good area. Don't forget the other side of UCSF - Cole Valley.

Quote:

2. Parkside/West Portal. Similar to Sunset, with an easier commute for me. PROS: Better commute for me, easier access to 280. Parking is relatively easy. CONS: Bit of a longer drive to UCSF for my wife. Public transit to parnassus is more difficult and takes longer. No public transit option to San Carlos for me.
Great choice with an easy exit to the city form the south. One can use Monterey to get to the 280 north to 101 south. From West Portal it is a two minute ride to Forest Hills on the K,L or M trains. Then take the 43 to UCSF or the 44 to 9th/Irving and walk 5 blocks.

Quote:

3. Miraloma/Sunnyside. PROS: Relatively easy commute for both of us. Quick access to UCSF by bus and car for my wife, and easy access to the 280/101 for me. Public transit is a pain but not impossible for me (Glen Park Bart to Caltrain). CONS: Expensive area. Mostly large (larger than we need) single family homes $3800/mo and up.
Maybe the new Avalon apartments on Ocean Ave. would work. They are near the 43 bus stop and close to the 280 freeway. Also one could walk to the Balboa Park Bart from there. They are new and next to a new Whole Foods. Unfortunately the rest of Ocean Ave. is not the most inspiring neighborhood to live in.

Quote:

4. Noe Valley: PROS: Relatively easy drive to Parnassus for my wife, and to the 101 for me. Mixed bag in terms of cost, but housing seems to be relatively abundant here and a decent value. CONS: Public transit is relatively difficult to Parnassus (surprisingly so) and to San Carlos. Parking a bit more difficult but doable.
I think Noe Valley is very overrated. There is a lot of traffic if one is trying to get to the 101 south on Cesar Chavez. Noe Valley does have an easy exit from the city on the 280 going south on Dolores or Guerrero.

Quote:

5. SOMA. PROS: Easy drive down the 280 and then to the 101 for me. I could also take the Caltrain directly to San Carlos. CONS: Longer more difficult drive for my wife. Possible congestion from downtown traffic. Public transit commute is on the N-Judah which offers a direct line to Parnassus, but again there may be congestion issues. Driving issues caused by SF Giants games. Parking is difficult and expensive. Housing is extremely expensive. Worst value of all options.
Soma would be my last choice of all SF neighborhoods. What about Glen Park? Close to both the 280 south and the 280 north to 101 south. Also the 44 bus goes directly to 9th and Judah. From there one could walk to UCSF or take the N train or the 43 bus.

Also look at Forest Knolls and Midtown Terrace. There will be houses in your price range. They are very close to UCSF and have easy street parking too.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:20 PM

OP stated he wanted to be near CalTrain which is why I didnt suggest any of the areas below.

If you are going to drive to San Carlos most of the time that changes the options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
There are other ways to go besides 19th Ave. Hint:follow the number 6 bus route to get from Inner Sunset to Parkside. Inner Sunset near UCSF is a good area. Don't forget the other side of UCSF - Cole Valley.

Great choice with an easy exit to the city form the south. One can use Monterey to get to the 280 north to 101 south. From West Portal it is a two minute ride to Forest Hills on the K,L or M trains. Then take the 43 to UCSF or the 44 to 9th/Irving and walk 5 blocks.

Maybe the new Avalon apartments on Ocean Ave. would work. They are near the 43 bus stop and close to the 280 freeway. Also one could walk to the Balboa Park Bart from there. They are new and next to a new Whole Foods. Unfortunately the rest of Ocean Ave. is not the most inspiring neighborhood to live in.

I think Noe Valley is very overrated. There is a lot of traffic if one is trying to get to the 101 south on Cesar Chavez. Noe Valley does have an easy exit from the city on the 280 going south on Dolores or Guerrero.

Soma would be my last choice of all SF neighborhoods. What about Glen Park? Close to both the 280 south and the 280 north to 101 south. Also the 44 bus goes directly to 9th and Judah. From there one could walk to UCSF or take the N train or the 43 bus.

Also look at Forest Knolls and Midtown Terrace. There will be houses in your price range. They are very close to UCSF and have easy street parking too.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:06 PM

147 posts, read 471,453 times
Sunset near enough to N-Judah that wife can take it to UCSF. Parking at UCSF sux.

You drive to San Carlos. Not that bad. Take Sunset or 19th to 280.

better yet

Inner Sunset, she can walk to work or catch N-Judah. You drive up to Portola down to 280.

or

Cole Valley. Similar deal.

280 commute isn't that bad if not at rush hour. Keep her from driving to work.

Lots of people like Inner Sunset and Cole Valley. You're moving to San Francisco. Live in a walkable, somewhat lively hood close to Golden Gate Park. Unique enough without being in the main squeeze on the other side of the park.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:24 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Sounds like you are already good at comparing and judging different neighborhoods. I'd definitely second the Inner Sunset or Cole Valley. Inner Sunset has a bit more going on, Cole Valley is cute but feels a bit like a little island in between more happening areas. Also both have a lot of fog and wind, especially the Inner Sunset. Cole Valley not as much but the fog can seep in from the Sunset area iirc.

Glen Park would be good except that it's probably not a great commute to UCSF, I don't remember the 44 being very reliable. The N is pretty frequent. Plus if you stayed in Cole Valley or the Inner Sunset it would be a quick and cheap cab ride if your wife was working late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland