U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 AM

750 posts, read 915,923 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a potential job opportunity in a biotech company in South San Francisco and my wife has the same in UC Davis. We were thinking we could live near UC Davis (we do have kids) for affordability and I would drive to South SF everyday to work. We wonder if that would be doable, it does not seem that far, but we don't know about traffic in the area. Any help/suggestion from people people that know well the commute will be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 07:11 AM

37 posts, read 39,582 times
I'm planning a similar move right now. My wife will be working at UC Davis and I will likely be working in the bay area.

From what I've seen of traffic, that is going to be a very difficult commute. You might want to consider using some form of transit as part of that. Traffic is pretty bad coming down I-80 or I-680 to CA-24 during rush hour. This will undoubtedly make for a pretty long commute to South SF.

For transit, you can take Amtrak to Emeryville with bus service to SF. From there you can switch to whatever transit you need for South SF. You can also try driving to the ferry in Vallejo which will get you to SF and again take other transit options to South SF.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 AM

32,206 posts, read 54,858,011 times
I commuted fron Granite Bay to downtown SF from 2003-2005. By car

I think I almost had a nervous breakdown.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:17 AM

7,685 posts, read 25,572,795 times
If you're working for Genentech, find out what locations you can board their buses in the East Bay. That will be a starting point for figuring out the whole trip. I only know of the pickups from Millbrae and Glen Park.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the replies. It appears though, that mass transit would take more time than driving, maybe 2 hours one way? I was hoping to be able to do it in no more than 1.5 hour driving but seems like impossible?

Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 AM

12,190 posts, read 10,330,921 times
Yep, impossible. If it's a M-F gig, you may consider getting a room or commuter apartment in SF or the East Bay (Emeryville has them) and going home on the weekends if you want to live in Davis that badly.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:41 AM

I see. If we live in SF area, then my wife would have to commute to Davis. Would that be much better (less than 1.5 h driving)? I suppose she would be driving in the opposite direction of the heavy traffic?

Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 AM

229 posts, read 338,644 times
Impossible. As is, the drive is at least an hr and 15 mins or so on weekdays to Oakland/Berkeley (1hr in Saturday or midday traffic), but you'd be going much further (South SF is nearly an hr from the East Bay because you have to go through SF and practically to SFO. Find alternatives or you will go crazy.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:51 AM

12,190 posts, read 10,330,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I see. If we live in SF area, then my wife would have to commute to Davis. Would that be much better (less than 1.5 h driving)? I suppose she would be driving in the opposite direction of the heavy traffic?
Some people do the Sac-to-SF commute for a time, and it's at least 1.5hr each way. Not as bad as South City to Davis, but still pretty bad. You may also consider living an in-between area such as Benicia or Concord (the latter has BART) to split the commute.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Some people do the Sac-to-SF commute for a time, and it's at least 1.5hr each way. Not as bad as South City to Davis, but still pretty bad. You may also consider living an in-between area such as Benicia or Concord (the latter has BART) to split the commute.
Well, we have young children and we would like to be close to them, at least one of us. The living at half-way scares us to death because if there is an emergency, it is a good idea to have at least one parent close by for quick attention.

I thought of living in Davis because of cheaper cost of living (I think Davis has better schools too), but if traffic from South SF to Davis back and forth is much better than the other way around, we could as well live in SF.

If it's bad anyway, well, maybe my wife should try to find something in the Bay area. I'm not a sexist, it's just that my job would pay better and it would be easier for her to find something in the bay than for me to find something in Davis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland