Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:50 PM

219 posts, read 436,231 times

Advertisements

Can growth in the Bay Area continue unchecked? Are there natural limits to growth? When I was in knee pants in the 80's I heard adults saying the East Bay (Berkeley, Oakland, Alameda, El Cerrito, Albany, and other bayside towns) was already overcrowded,there was no more room. Now growth has expanded inland. How long can this continue before transit, freeways, power and water sources are pushed beyong capacity? Is anyone paying attention, or does growth keep happening until collapse stops it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 09:08 PM

159 posts, read 646,381 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Bay_Area

"Home to approximately 7.15 million people..."

Tokyo metro area has over 30 million. Seoul has 20 million. New York, 20 million.

Is there a limit to growth? Yes. Have we reached it yet? Probably not even close. Being from Asia, I don't find the Bay Area (even San Francisco) to be "dense" at all.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:11 PM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I would say that "the sky is the limit". Unfortunately, many real estate developers don't care about your comfort, or mine. All they care about is developing and developing, so they can make more money.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,918 times
Transit and freeways will never be a problem. Just look at the LA area. It stretches for miles in each direction and all of it is accessible via transit and freeways. The only thing that could stop expansion is water. Electrical probably won't even be a problem. Unfortunately when developers run out of land they just start to build up into the sky instead. So really no I don't think growth will ever be stopped.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:02 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Bay areahas growth? That's news to me. The population stabilized here like 10 years back.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Lots of the open land in the Bay Area will not be developed as it is protected park and wilderness areas. The East Bay cities mentioned cannot expand due to being bordered by other cities, the bay and parkland. The only way to go is up. this is happening somewhat in Berkeley as new lofts and apartments are going up downtown. The south and outer east bay areas are more sprawl but even they will have to start building up at some point in the future. Not yet though.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
I'd say the high cost of living has probably put a tamper on how much growth can happen here. Let's face it: SF is now unaffordable to pretty much all of the working and now most of the middle class. Rents and home prices have been rising again after only falling a bit during the recession. Families with kids have it pretty tough here. A lot of people have actually been moving out as a result. So I suspect that the Bay Area will continue to grow, but probably at a progressively slower rate if the cost of living keeps on rising.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:46 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,200 times
The Bay Area still has alot of room to expand and reallocate land use. I still see alot of empty space around and they call always tear down old homes and put high density housing in it's place. Some cities have city plans that limit growth for instance some cities don't allow building in a greenbelt or the hills surrounding the city but these plans are made to be broken. Take Fremont or Dublin for example they had original city plans that forbid building on the foothills but they have pretty much abandaned that now.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
There is a lot of infill opportunity for growth. But NIMBYs need to get out of the way.

Take a look at this "plan" on managing the growth and the overall projections. You can also take part and send your comments. Please do, because the meetings I have been to are dominated by 60 year olds who won't even be alive when the impact of the plan is felt.

One Bay Area - Plan Bay Area

Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 AM

159 posts, read 646,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I'd say the high cost of living has probably put a tamper on how much growth can happen here. Let's face it: SF is now unaffordable to pretty much all of the working and now most of the middle class. Rents and home prices have been rising again after only falling a bit during the recession. Families with kids have it pretty tough here. A lot of people have actually been moving out as a result. So I suspect that the Bay Area will continue to grow, but probably at a progressively slower rate if the cost of living keeps on rising.
Yea, but if you allow more growth, it should at least slow down the rise in cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland