U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:22 PM

8 posts, read 25,446 times

Advertisements

I read all the replies and this did influence my decision. I've decided to accept the offer and do the drive. An hour each way is acceptable to me at the moment - we plan to move after a year and hopefully the drive will be much shorter then
The company is pretty flexible about hours and working remotely occasionally (i spoke to them the day after I posted this).
Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 11:26 PM

8 posts, read 25,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I can't comment directly on the commute to from Redwood City, but I can comment on the commute from that area (Alameda and southern parts of Oakland, specifically) to Palo Alto (Stanford).

Alameda to/from Stanford
Transit options
I used to commute to/from Alameda to/from Stanford daily. I usually drove, but I also did try various public transit options, and they were all pretty bad...

the train options were the best from a schedule perspective (many trains leaving all through the day), but that route took the longest because BART takes a very circuitous route through SF and the peninsula to Milbrae (to connect to Caltrain).

The other public transit options were the transbay buses (drive to transbay bus stop, wait, get on bus). This option was ok, but the schedule was really limited (only really run during "commute hours," and if you miss one you'd be waiting around for a long time). And it meant I still had to drive a lot. And if you don't work near one of their bus stops on the other end, getting to work can be a daunting task.

I imagine the public transit options for Oakland to Redwood City will be equally bad.

Driving
Driving to/from Almadeda to/from Palo Alto was ok if I left after 9 in the morning, or after 6 in the evening. I could do the drive in ~45 minutes if there was no traffic. If I tried to leave during the main parts of rush hour, it would easily be 1 hour or more (average was around 1 hour and 15 minutes).

Oakland to/from Stanford, driving
I now live in San Mateo/San Francisco, but I still work at Stanford. And I still drive to Oakland (Coliseum area) at least twice a week to play hockey. If I leave around 6:30, it is about a 40 minute drive. If I drive during the main part of rush hour, it's more like 50 minutes - an hour.

These driving times are using the Dumbarton bridge, by far the easiest bridge in the Bay Area to get across and easier to get onto 880 from.

The San Mateo bridge is fine going west in the morning, but there is a big backup in the evening getting onto 880, especially now with the way they have the on ramps setup where you have to merge over like over a mile away from the actual interchange. I often get off at Clawiter/Industrial roads and take back roads up to 880...it's usually faster; but even if it's not faster, at least I'm moving (I can't stand sitting in traffic for very long). This is actually one main reason I usually drive to Oakland from work, rather than from home (the dumbarton bridge is much easier to get across).

The Bay Bridge is by far the worst option, and honestly there's no reason you should ever go over this bridge during prime commute times (which in SF can last until 8 pm).

Oakland to/from San Mateo
Occasional I do drive from San Mateo to Oakland (southern part). This drive is about 35 minutes in the morning before 9, and about 35 minutes during the worst part of rush hour. After/before these times, it is about 20 minutes.

Getting to Redwood City from the San Mateo area takes about 15-20 minutes when there is no traffic on 101. If there's traffic, it's more like 30. That part of 101 can get pretty bad (about as bad as some parts of 880).

I think anyway you slice it, you're looking at close to 50 minutes to a little over an hour during rush hour times. It really helps to drive before/after rush hour times, so if you could somehow get your hours moved, that would drastically help.
Thank you for the detailed post - I didn't think of Dumbarton until I read this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland