Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 05:23 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,316,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
When I'm in SF, I barely hear any Mandarin in Chinatown or any Chinese/Asian populated part of SF. Some, but not a lot. Predominately Cantonese. When I looked at statistics of what languages do many English-as-a-second-language students in SF public schools speak, and it was mainly Cantonese, Spanish, and Vietnamese. Not many Mandarin ESL students.

So I agree that it's surprising and I don't believe that Mandarin is the #2 most spoken language of SF.
Plus, the recorded announcements on the Muni buses and trams, if any, are in Cantonese and Spanish.

You tend to find predominantly Mandarin-speakers in the burbs, like Santa Clara County (where I live) and southern Alameda County (Fremont). San Mateo County is a mix of both, closer you get to SF, such as Millbrae, South San Francisco, probably has a bit more Cantonese speakers, more Mandarin spoken going south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 09:03 AM

622 posts, read 1,144,150 times
Not sure if someone linked it but this is an article from last May: Study: Houston area passes NYC as nation's most diverse.

Not really a surprise. As many have said minorities have been priced out of San Francisco. I lived in NYC for a couple of years and it's happening there too.

What's interesting is while the Houston area is the most diverse the article mentions that Houston is also quite segregated, so I'm not sure it's all that great if diversity merely means some form proximity but not interacting.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
First of all the percentage of the US-born population that has lived abroad is not generally considered part of the definition of "diversity" - although it is certainly an interesting metric for cities. Secondly why would you discount those who have lived in Europe? The number of Americans who have lived in Europe or even visited is still an extremely small percentage.

I heard an interesting statistic the other day - that San Francisco County (same boundaries as the City) is the only county in California where the #1 non-English language spoken at home is something other than Spanish (it's Mandarin). It came up in conversation but I'll post a cite if I find one.
I thought it was Cantonese?

Old 04-13-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I'm pretty surprised that it wouldn't be Cantonese, rather than Mandarin, given the composition of SF's Chinese population, historically. Unless things have changed a lot over the last 10 years.
I think it is Cantonese.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, its not 'San Francisco' by itself, that's a ranking of Metropolitan Areas, Forbes and Huffington Post have a strange habit of just using SF by itself when making metro titles in rankings when really its San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA.

And that particular ranking was taken from a study done by Brown University using data from the 2010 Census.

Here are the Top 25 Most and Least Diverse Metro Areas:

Here are the Top 25 Most and Least Diverse Cities:

I created a thread on this study a while back:
25 Most and Least Racially Diverse MSAs and Cities, 2010 Census

Northern California is clearly the most diverse area of the country nabbing nearly half of the cities in the Top 25:
For many, metro area is preferred over city for some reason. I got into arguments with people in the Seattle forum over that.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:55 PM

587 posts, read 1,407,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
No way...NYC is more diverse than SF.
The article made a mistake of saying San Francisco, proper, was among the most diverse in the study. What the study meant was that San Francisco-Oakland was the most diverse. And it is. There is almost a completely equal distribution of blacks, whites, Latinos and Asians in Oakland. Oakland is around 25% black, 25% white, 25% Latino, 16% Asian and the rest being other or mixed race. And Oakland is leagues ahead of integration compared to NYC. Even in the worst areas of Oakland there is mind-boggling integration. It's the same with the lower middle class and poorer areas of San Francisco where you see tons of diversity and social integration between people of all races (i.e. Tenderloin, Sunnydale, Lakeview). Race relations in NYC, as a whole, are horrible. It's no surprise almost every Spike Lee movie revolves around race, racism and segregation in NYC.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:00 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,423,156 times
According to CD SF is 56 out of 100 US cities.

http://www.city-data.com/top103.html

Old 09-27-2014, 09:30 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,549,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
Not sure if someone linked it but this is an article from last May: Study: Houston area passes NYC as nation's most diverse.

Not really a surprise. As many have said minorities have been priced out of San Francisco. I lived in NYC for a couple of years and it's happening there too.

What's interesting is while the Houston area is the most diverse the article mentions that Houston is also quite segregated, so I'm not sure it's all that great if diversity merely means some form proximity but not interacting.
While it may be the case the SF is less diverse than Houston, I don't know if it is, the article was talking about MSAs, and really didn't compare to either MSA in the Bay Area, so it is impossible to see where either MSA stacks up on their standings.

If you're talking about cities specifically, then SF falls far behind many cities in the Bay Area itself, SF is really not that diverse when compared to many Bay Area cities, but it if you look at the demographics it is not like it became less diverse (except for the fact that it went from 8% to 6% African American), it seems that in the last 24 years the other cities in the Bay Area became a lot more diverse, and maybe it is cultural, people feel more open to move to areas where they aren't part of the a racial majority necessarily, perhaps because attitudes have changed, or perhaps there are other reasons. But SF has not been the most diverse city in the Bay Area for a long time.

Note, don't take this to mean that there aren't racial or ethic "ghettos" in the Bay Area, it seems that people are more open to living outside of such areas these days.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:50 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,423,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
While it may be the case the SF is less diverse than Houston, I don't know if it is
It is more diverse in Houston...that is one of the things I love the most about my hometown

Old 09-30-2014, 05:09 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,282,719 times
Obviously diversity is in the eye of the beholder. Who ever designs the parameters of how to weight diversity can influence the results.

Would a City that is 20% white, 20% black, 20% Asian, 20% Hispanic and 20% Native be perfectly diverse? Or would the proper way to measure it be based on the deviations from the norms nationwide?

I believe the most Asian major city in the U.S. is Honolulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland