U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,569,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
Go to Hong Kong or Buenos Aires and the streets are alive with merchants and street food. It makes the streets more lively and far safer than the empty avenues you often find here.
I go to Hong Kong fairly regularly (my wife's family is there) and unfortunately, due to constant real estate development and "mall-ification", there is a lot less street life and street food there than in the past. It still exists, such as in places such as Mongkok. The government there is pretty aggressive about regulating street stalls and pushcarts and has made licensing very difficult for them, it seems.

Yes, the air-con malls are comfortable and hygienic, but they're soulless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM

340 posts, read 438,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I go to Hong Kong fairly regularly (my wife's family is there) and unfortunately, due to constant real estate development and "mall-ification", there is a lot less street life and street food there than in the past. It still exists, such as in places such as Mongkok. The government there is pretty aggressive about regulating street stalls and pushcarts and has made licensing very difficult for them, it seems.

Yes, the air-con malls are comfortable and hygienic, but they're soulless.
Sad.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:28 PM

27,139 posts, read 29,534,576 times
I thought I'd add another one.

Ever notice how graffiti here is hilarious? The other day I saw some graffiti in Downtown Oakland about donating to the SPCA and petting puppies.

Another time I saw an algebra equation.

How about nerdy murals? I saw this a while back:
Attached Thumbnails
That's so Bay Area...-photo_022109_004.jpg  

Old 07-15-2013, 04:10 AM

6,351 posts, read 5,128,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
For example, anything " Mid century" ( I hate that term too) is just absolutely adored by admiring yuppies and hipsters, and they will pay out the nose for the stuff, which is funny seeing as how most of my stuff came from the curb, yard sales, and flea markets.
Having lived through the mid-century, I can assure the admiring yupsters etc. that most of what was produced was crap, with the exception of rock music and certain aspects of literature; but if they admire that period I have lots of stuff I'd be glad to sell them.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:06 PM

493 posts, read 641,503 times
I am "bay area"

all i have to be bay area is be me , not someone who defines themself by superficiality and consumerism.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:52 PM

569 posts, read 634,237 times
For me, most chain restaurants take the fun/adventure out of trying places for the first time.

You also often can get to know the owner/chef/cook at a standalone restaurant and get suggestions when they learn what you like.

Finally, a standalone restaurant can reflect the spirit of a neighborhood. Try Sotto Mare or Da Flora in North beach and tell me you get that experience at a chain like Buca Di Beppo (which I'm not knocking because it's ok, just sayin'...)

Old 07-17-2013, 11:35 AM

2,701 posts, read 3,744,502 times
There are PLENTY of chain restaurants all over the Bay Area, just not in SF/Oak/Berkeley. But even in the suburbs, independents are making huge strides and offering some nice alternatives. But I could still name off dozens of national or regional chains that have a presence in the Bay Area:

PF Changs
Cheesecake Factory
BJs
Olive Garden
CPK
Chili's
Applebees
Hooters
Claim Jumper
Mimi's
In n Out
The Habit
Islands
Lucille's Smokehouse
Panera
Chipotle
Sweet Tomatoes/Souplantation
Corner Bakery
El Torito
Chevys
Fuddrucker's
Rubios
L&L
Macaroni Grill
Outback Steakhouse
Armadillo Willy's
Dickie's BBQ
Five Guys
On the Border
Coco's
Buffalo Wild Wings
Denny's

That's just off the top of my head. In fact, there are few chains I can think of that aren't represented in the Bay Area. Fortunately, there are so many independent restaurants to choose from.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:41 AM

4,536 posts, read 5,441,747 times
Sadly, KCSM recently changed many of their American programs to "global" programing!

Old 07-17-2013, 03:41 PM

15,422 posts, read 25,314,196 times
Oh the horror!!!! This isn't fly over country!!!

Inside Scoop SF » San Francisco’s first Applebee’s has arrived on Fisherman’s Wharf

Old 07-17-2013, 03:55 PM

4,871 posts, read 6,262,353 times
First Walmart, now Applebee's ?!?!

Sounds like SF is going to hell in a handbasket! It's a good thing nobody in SF will patronize either location. Oh wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or