U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 PM

78,913 posts, read 70,720,442 times

Advertisements

All very interesting, OP. I'm sure they could use your expertise at the Lawrence Livermore Lab. Those labs, at least--the one where I live, at Los Alamos, are constantly having security issues. Maybe once you get into the Bay Area, you'll have broader job options, and better pay options.

Would probably be a good idea to go into a shared housing situation while you get your bearings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 07:28 PM

10 posts, read 9,888 times
I'm sure I'd have a lot broader and better options if/when I move out west, which is part of the appeal of joining the graduate program. And NNLN sounds like a decent plan - it at least allows me to keep/maintain my clearance.

After perusing Craigslist for a bit I came to the conclusion that shared housing would be the best course of action as well.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:06 PM

370 posts, read 743,404 times
yes shared housing is probably your best option. Google shuttles are all over SF - i am sure you can ask the employees for the best places to live. I would personally pick some where south of Market to shorten your commute - SOMA, Potrero,Mission, etc...

Also i am sure google has internal mailing lists/discussion boards where you can look for a decent shared housing situations other than craigslist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich blackman View Post
I'm sure I'd have a lot broader and better options if/when I move out west, which is part of the appeal of joining the graduate program. And NNLN sounds like a decent plan - it at least allows me to keep/maintain my clearance.

After perusing Craigslist for a bit I came to the conclusion that shared housing would be the best course of action as well.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:19 PM

10 posts, read 9,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
yes shared housing is probably your best option. Google shuttles are all over SF - i am sure you can ask the employees for the best places to live. I would personally pick some where south of Market to shorten your commute - SOMA, Potrero,Mission, etc...

Also i am sure google has internal mailing lists/discussion boards where you can look for a decent shared housing situations other than craigslist.
They do. It was one of the first things my recruiter had mentioned in regards to relocating. I'll be sure to focus my efforts on the neighborhoods SoMa, thanks!

Old 04-18-2013, 06:59 AM

5,242 posts, read 11,468,333 times
SOMA sucks as a neighborhood, the Mission is way better IF you can find a place to live AND can live west of Mission Street.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:41 AM

1,585 posts, read 3,174,014 times
$50K is going to be cutting it real tight, that's $35-40K in DC terms. If this is a 'foot in the door' position and your expectation is to be getting a higher paying job after a year or so, I'd go for it. At that level, you wouldn't be living very large and you certainly would be living paycheck to paycheck unless you became a complete hermit.

Real 'back of the napkin' calculations here, but $50k gross is $35K take-home, so you'd have about $3000 per month total.
Considering 1-bedroom apartments in the city START at $2000/month, you see the problem.....

Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,627,869 times
Quote:
Thanks for those of you who provided actual feedback and thoughtful criticisms.

Despite your protestations, I actually am in the tech field just not as a programmer. I currently do security engineering for the DoD. The reason for the title and salary cut is due to the fact that I would be joining a training and development program instead of outright joining as an engineer. The base salary in OP doesn't reflect bonuses that are included within the offer/contract.

And Glassdoor does show some pretty low end salaries on the engineering spectrum for Google - I went into this process knowing that they notoriously underpay many people.

That being said part of my willingness to move is due to 1) the sequestration and the area's reliance on federal money means new job opportunities are somewhat scarce as nobody wants to commit to taking on payroll now even as the President is increasing funding in my field 2) I consider this as an opportunity to benefit me in the long run (not so much in the short term)

Also, during my interview I met a person in the program who lives in SF proper had I known what I know now I wish I would have asked him how he does it.
I'm glad you have a handle on the situation. Google and Apple are typical of "halo" companies' compensation practices, meaning that they don't necessarily pay top dollar in salaries, at least for relatively junior staff (Microsoft used to be that way 20 years ago), thinking that the aura/culture will be enough of a draw. It might be different for experienced hires who have a particular talent that they might want to draw in.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
SOMA sucks as a neighborhood, the Mission is way better IF you can find a place to live AND can live west of Mission Street.
This is a matter of opinion. SoMa has less crime, and is closer to downtown, obviously. All depends on a person's priorities.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:22 PM

7,281 posts, read 8,886,062 times
Quote:
Hello!

I browsed through the forums and got a good sense of what to expect and the board's willingness to help out. I am a 23 (soon to be 24) year old single male and was recently offered a position with Google and am inclined to accept however I'm concerned about living out in the bay area. I spent my whole life either in or living right outside of DC and couldn't imagine living far away from a major city. If I decide to accept the position I decided the only place I would want to live in is San Francisco (my two great loves in life are music and food). Unfortunately for me it seems as though I would have to take a pay cut (mid sixties to mid fifties) as part of the offer which is where things get a bit sticky. I'm used to being out every weekend, dining at the better DC restaurants, having a few too many drinks with friends, catching a show at the 9:30 Club, and being to the go-to person for weekend fun ideas. I realize that I won't be able to enjoy the same luxuries that I do back home but I'd appreciate guidance on the following:

Is it possible/worth it to live in the city with a mid 50s salary?
What kind of living accommodations could I realistically expect? (I've been looking at studios)
What types of neighborhoods would be best for me? (I'd really prefer to avoid Tenderloin)
Dating in DC blows, how does it compare in the bay area? (I'm hetero if it matters)
Would there be any point in bringing my car? (Part of the SF appeal is the fact that I'd be making use of Google's shuttles and could use that money elsewhere)

Sorry if this isn't coherent, it's late here and I'm exhausted.

Thanks!
I don't think Google has any jobs that pay in the mid 50s. You are tired, perhaps it is the mid 500s?

Old 04-18-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
I don't think Google has any jobs that pay in the mid 50s. You are tired, perhaps it is the mid 500s?
If it were the mid-500's, do you think he'd be here asking us if it's a livable salary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland