U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 01:39 PM

78,864 posts, read 70,665,916 times

Advertisements

SF is a beautiful city with a lot going on. You shouldn't be miserable there, at least I hope not. Getting in on a group rental sounds like the way to go. I hope it all works out for you, OP. Give us progress reports, if you think of it.

What a livable salary is depends on that all-important factor: housing. If you're in a group situation, yours could be a living wage, with good leeway for entertainment, and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 06:36 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,271,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich blackman View Post
And in terms of entertainment how expensive or cheap are Giants tickets? (I'm not a baseball fan but have always had fun at Nats games).
They're not cheap, but not expensive either. If you really want your bang for the buck, look the other way towards Oakland's Coliseum where the A's play. Tickets are dirt cheap there

Quote:
And the main reason why I was interested in SF is because I'm used to the city life, I spent the weekend during my interview in San Jose and was miserable.
I think what you meant is URBAN city life. Because San Jose, and other South Bay cities, are also cities as well, just not as urban/crowded as SF is. If anything, DC reminds me of San Jose. I've only been there a few times though, so there are probably places that are more "urban" than the areas I go to (obviously I lounge around the touristy joints and Falls Church). Though, the Potomac River is so beautiful....sigh...I wish we San Jose folks could improve the Guadalupe River somehow...but yeah....maybe 50 years from now we could somehow make it become more of a proper "river"

Regardless, you should hit up the group rental and make the move. The Bay Area is THE place to be, whether it's San Jose or San Francisco or Oakland Good luck, and welcome!

Old 04-21-2013, 12:33 AM

5 posts, read 4,583 times
Yes it is totally doable. You can always find cheap, cool places to live if you spend time. My friends moved into a cute 2 bedroom with a back yard for 1,350 a month. The apartment is on Moss Street between Folsom Street and Howard Street and between 6th and 7th because Moss is an ally and the other 4 streets are large. This apartment is in SOMA. I do think Mission is better like other mentioned. More neighborhood like.

But another note you may be making only 50,000 but you will be eating almost all your meals during the week at Google and you can bring food home so your grocery bill will be tiny and that leaves money to eat out. You can use the gym at Google which will also save you money. Massages are free and oil changes. The list is extensive. All these things are not taxed (at least not now) and can save you a ton of money.

My cousin works there and several friends. My cousin became a recruited right out of college and is really good at it. Google tried to steal him from 4 different companies. The 5th time he said yes and the first 6 months were trial and it was a contract. That is what Google does. But then he was hired. Anyone getting multiple contracts that is not hired after the first contract will probably not be hired as staff.

And they do expect you to work hard so you will need the massages and the food. But yes it is totally doable and you will not be in poverty. You can find a cool cheap place but you have to hunt and yeah you will probably have a roommate but that could be good (or bad) when moving to a new city.

I say go for it. If you don't feel like you are leaving something amazing. Worse case scenario you come out for a year, and it isn't working you can go back to DC.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:45 AM

26,134 posts, read 28,529,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Great point. I'm always an advocate of trying to live as close to your workplace as possible. Why not live in MV to start? You'll be able to do more networking in and around the Googleplex which can help with future opportunities. Will save time...and let's face it, with the current starting salary you're not really going to be able to afford to partake in the nightlife that SF has to offer. One can always choose to move to SF later.

And yes, MV has a Trader Joe's and Costco.
I second all of ^^^this^^^.

The purpose of urban living is defeated if you have to commute 45 min to an hour to work in a suburb. Plus, a 50K salary doesn't leave much money to do fun stuff in the City, although I'll defer to others with more info on that one.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-22-2013 at 02:53 AM..

Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 PM

10 posts, read 9,885 times
I forgot to mention I'll be eligible for overtime as well so it's likely I'll be making something in the 60s than the mid 50s initially offered.

Is there a Whole Foods in MV? Not much of Trader Joe's guy.

As part of the relocation guide there were some anecdotes about people moving to the bay area (some chose to live in the MV surrounding area and others in SF, it's interesting how some ended up moving to SF after getting tired of the weekend commute and others were willing to trade in the shorter commute).

Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 PM

78,864 posts, read 70,665,916 times
There are Whole Foods stores in San Fran.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,624,363 times
Quote:
I forgot to mention I'll be eligible for overtime as well so it's likely I'll be making something in the 60s than the mid 50s initially offered.

Is there a Whole Foods in MV? Not much of Trader Joe's guy.

As part of the relocation guide there were some anecdotes about people moving to the bay area (some chose to live in the MV surrounding area and others in SF, it's interesting how some ended up moving to SF after getting tired of the weekend commute and others were willing to trade in the shorter commute).
Yes, there is a Whole Foods in the MV area, it's actually in the City of Los Altos, on El Camino Real, which is across the street from the Mt. View (down the street from Target) city limits.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,466,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanelCinq View Post
Yes it is totally doable. You can always find cheap, cool places to live if you spend time. My friends moved into a cute 2 bedroom with a back yard for 1,350 a month. The apartment is on Moss Street between Folsom Street and Howard Street and between 6th and 7th because Moss is an ally and the other 4 streets are large. This apartment is in SOMA. I do think Mission is better like other mentioned. More neighborhood like.
When did they sign the lease, recently? And 6th street can be legendarily seedy.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:42 PM

920 posts, read 1,532,036 times
I'm sorry, but I have to say this, the OP sounds too spoiled for their own good. You make not enough money to live in DC, but you want to move to SF, live in a way that will demand that you commute thousands of miles in a few months, all so that you can have a real good time getting faded on the weekends. You know what, if you can't realize that you've got some mental Disneyland bangin around in your head about what life is like, maybe you should just stay where you are. The BA has the worst traffic in the nation, we don't need people like you making more of a mess than it is already....

Last edited by loloroj; 04-23-2013 at 12:53 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 01:52 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
The BA has the worst traffic in the nation, we don't need people like you making more of a mess than it is already....
Not by a long shot, I've lived in the DC area, traffic there is much worse than here, granted the last 2 years traffic has gotten much worse here.

10 Worst Traffic Cities in America - weather.com

I remember in 2005 leaving Stanford at 6am once to drop someone off at the airport (SFO) and there was hardly anyone on the road, the next year I did that in NoVA to leave someone at IAD and practically every road already had plenty of traffic, but at least it was all moving, an hour later it would've been bad.

Some people also haven't been to LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland