U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:57 PM

78,075 posts, read 69,976,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to say this, the OP sounds too spoiled for their own good. You make not enough money to live in DC, but you want to move to SF, live in a way that will demand that you commute thousands of miles in a few months, all so that you can have a real good time getting faded on the weekends. You know what, if you can't realize that you've got some mental Disneyland bangin around in your head about what life is like, maybe you should just stay where you are. The BA has the worst traffic in the nation, we don't need people like you making more of a mess than it is already....
Whoa, whoa, chill! The OP has posted that he'd prefer living without a car. He's posted that he plans to use the shuttles that Google operates, for commuting. Read his posts before getting hostile. And with luck, the OP might find a full-time job in the city eventually, anyway. So keep it cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 PM

920 posts, read 1,526,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Whoa, whoa, chill! The OP has posted that he'd prefer living without a car. He's posted that he plans to use the shuttles that Google operates, for commuting. Read his posts before getting hostile. And with luck, the OP might find a full-time job in the city eventually, anyway. So keep it cool.
What he prefers and what is doable are two different things. So who is going to shuttle him back and forth to every other place OP wants to go? And there is really no need to lecture me, the OP wanted a straight forward assessment of what he wanted to do. Which is what I gave him.

The fact is that many, many people make moves to the West Coast based on puerile notions of what life is going to be. Being a native of SF, I have seen too many of these folks eaten alive, based on the fact that they weren't told straight up what it's like. If you feel the need to coddle anyone, then direct that sentiment to them. I have no impulse to do so....

Old 04-23-2013, 03:13 PM

I've lived in the Bay Area and never contributed to the traffic, which seems to be your worst fear. What do you mean, who's going to shuttle the OP around where he wants to go? He can take public transportation, which he's expressed an interest in. Believe it or not, it is possible to live without a car. Lots of people do it in the Bay Area.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:30 PM

27,139 posts, read 29,548,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a matter of opinion. SoMa has less crime
Depends on which part of SOMA. West(?) of 6th street? Well that is pretty iffy. Around the ballpark? Sure, that's pretty good. But there are plenty of places between Potero and 6th street that are pretty sketchy.

SOMA is close to downtown, but downtown is sort of convenient for work, crappy for non work hours.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:34 PM

27,139 posts, read 29,548,764 times
OP, MV without a car ranges from crappy to impossible. I'd stick to SF.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 PM

10 posts, read 9,862 times
Thanks Ruth!

And even though I know better, I'll still indulge loloroj.

Your reading comprehension isn't that strong, I never said I was struggling to survive out here - in fact I live better than all of my friends (Ruth was even initially questioning my motives for moving). Yes I may sound spoiled or entitled, admittedly I grew up quite privileged, but I worked hard for everything I have today - my college weekends were spent doing school work or at debate tournaments while I worked during the week I don't see anything wrong with trying to enjoy myself a little now. I never had some grand image of life out west, I was recruited for this opportunity, I never intended to work in Silicon Valley or live in the Bay Area. I don't expect to be or want to be coddled, I had a plan for what I was going to do (rely heavily on mass transit or walking). Aaand I rarely even get faded on weekends now. It's about wanting to be where culture is concentrated instead of parting every weekend night (which I don't even do now).

Old 04-25-2013, 10:30 PM

So, all that being said, OP, if you want to live in SF without a car, you do need to choose your neighborhood carefully, so you can walk to the grocery store. This is definitely doable; one of San Fran's charms is that it has neighborhood amenities like that. But there are a few neighborhoods that lack them, so do your homework thoroughly before making a choice.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:37 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,257,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich blackman View Post
Thanks Ruth!

And even though I know better, I'll still indulge loloroj.

Your reading comprehension isn't that strong, I never said I was struggling to survive out here - in fact I live better than all of my friends (Ruth was even initially questioning my motives for moving). Yes I may sound spoiled or entitled, admittedly I grew up quite privileged, but I worked hard for everything I have today - my college weekends were spent doing school work or at debate tournaments while I worked during the week I don't see anything wrong with trying to enjoy myself a little now. I never had some grand image of life out west, I was recruited for this opportunity, I never intended to work in Silicon Valley or live in the Bay Area. I don't expect to be or want to be coddled, I had a plan for what I was going to do (rely heavily on mass transit or walking). Aaand I rarely even get faded on weekends now. It's about wanting to be where culture is concentrated instead of parting every weekend night (which I don't even do now).
OP, I wholeheartedly commend you on all the positives you are listing.

But it would do you EXTREMELY well to drop the part that states "Your reading comprehension isn't that strong". You will learn very quickly that your East Coast thin-skinned-ness, reverse sarcasm bull**** isn't going to fly here on the West

loloroj is criticizing you for a reason, he/she has seen too many failures from transplanted people of your age, and is trying to make sure that you pick your paths wisely. The criticisms might be personal at times, but just chill. Take the criticisms/suggestions/advice with a smile, and forge ahead with your plan.

You are the only one that knows yourself best. Don't need to prove it to us. Prove it only to yourself If you are the type of person you say you are, the entire Bay Area will be more than glad to have you here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland