Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,906 times

Advertisements

It is always about money and race. When is it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 12:39 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
It is always about money and race. When is it not?
My point is that the level of intelligence that this piece approached the topic of race and class in Oakland with is very low.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiced Reason View Post
oakland is already unaffordable for most people in the good locations. I had to leave uptown because my rent went to 2300 for a two br.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Really?! Unbelievable. That sounds almost like SF type prices.

All I know is that when I first moved here there were sections of Oakland I didn't totally feel great about going through in the day. Fast-forward to last year when we were looking for a house and some of those same areas were fillin' up with hipsters. amazing.
Those Uptown places are totally overpriced. Every other good area is much cheaper. You are paying extra for shiny new apartments. A one bedroom in Rockridge is about $1400. Piedmont Ave: $1100-1300.

Uptown isn't the "nicest" area in Oakland. It is up and coming and has buzz. Very different.

Last edited by jade408; 04-17-2013 at 01:15 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 01:05 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,169 times
Money has more to do with it than anything. The Bay Area has been slowly gentrifying for decades now, and once one area becomes ridiculously expensive, then people move to another area until it follows the same fate. The COL is to me a serious problem here. We bought last year after a decade or more of saving. Even though we make a good income, the number of affordable areas is even at our level fairly low. So when that's put into consideration, that means the areas that are still somewhat affordable to middle class residents and especially the working class has been shrinking and that's not very good for those who fit in that financial category. I myself grew up in a lower middle class family and do not like what gentrification does to areas.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Those Uptown places are totally overpriced. Every other good area is much cheaper. You are paying extra for shiny new apartments. A one bedroom in Rockridge is about $1400. Piedmont Ave: $1100-1300.

Uptown isn't the "nicest" area in Oakland. It is up and coming and has buzz. Very different.

This is another issue, why is having something that doesn't look like it hasn't been renovated since the 60s off limits? I lived in Broadway Grand before they started selling them again. When I first moved in I was paying 1900 for a 6th floor unit with 2 bedrooms a parking space and 1600 square feet. It was huge and overlooked downtown Oakland and I could see SF. Before I moved out my rent jumped to the 2300. Have you seen the 1 bedroom $1300 dollar places around Oakland? I choose to live in Oakland, I grew up here and want to stay. The fact I have to pick some old outdated place with dirty carpet in order to afford rent is BS. This is the only place next to NYC or maybe Hawaii where you can spend this kind of money for a place and it's old as hell.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiced Reason View Post
This is another issue, why is having something that doesn't look like it hasn't been renovated since the 60s off limits? I lived in Broadway Grand before they started selling them again. When I first moved in I was paying 1900 for a 6th floor unit with 2 bedrooms a parking space and 1600 square feet. It was huge and overlooked downtown Oakland and I could see SF. Before I moved out my rent jumped to the 2300. Have you seen the 1 bedroom $1300 dollar places around Oakland? I choose to live in Oakland, I grew up here and want to stay. The fact I have to pick some old outdated place with dirty carpet in order to afford rent is BS. This is the only place next to NYC or maybe Hawaii where you can spend this kind of money for a place and it's old as hell.
That is a Bay Area problem. But you can't find new en masse in the urban areas. But they do exist. My place is fairly renovated. New floors. Newish kitchen. Dishwasher.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:49 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times
Quote:

shiny new studios in san francisco can go for ~$2800+
a new uptown one bedroom a 15 minute bart ride from the finacial district for $1900 is almost a bargain.
as long as san francisco rents are so insane urban walkable areas in oakland with good transportation are going to increase in demand

Old 04-17-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
shiny new studios in san francisco can go for ~$2800+
a new uptown one bedroom a 15 minute bart ride from the finacial district for $1900 is almost a bargain.
as long as san francisco rents are so insane urban walkable areas in oakland with good transportation are going to increase in demand
Sure. If you look around though you can finder cheaper new spots in Old Oakland. . More like $1500.

Other safe and walkable areas are about 65% of the uptown price.

They are capitalizing on the priced out of SF crowd who feel like being trendy.

You can find grittier apartments in downtown Oakland for like $900. Grand Lake is about $1000.

People who don't do their research will feel like things are expensive.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:30 PM

343 posts, read 444,743 times
Quote:

As others above have mentioned, one of the reasons uptown rents are higher is that it's the only area of the city with newer apartments. Most of the apartment stock in otherwise nice areas is old and crappy.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:57 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times
Quote:
Sure. If you look around though you can finder cheaper new spots in Old Oakland. . More like $1500.

Other safe and walkable areas are about 65% of the uptown price.

They are capitalizing on the priced out of SF crowd who feel like being trendy.

You can find grittier apartments in downtown Oakland for like $900. Grand Lake is about $1000.

People who don't do their research will feel like things are expensive.
right.old oakland is a good alternative cheaper with decent bart acces but it can seem kind of dead at times.

Last edited by ssmaster; 04-17-2013 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland