Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 AM

4 posts, read 14,619 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am moving from MD to SF area in a month. My school is located in SF but because of the prices I had to look for outside of SF. I am trying not to go further than 15-20 mins. I found some places in Richmond (little over 20 mins), some in Daly City, some in Pacifica. I was told to stay away from Oakland because of the crime. So, I want a place close to the ocean, an ocean view would be awesome Quiet but close to some coffee shops, or shopping centers. Some of my questions are;
*Are Richmond, Daly City, Pacifica safe places for a single woman?
*Are Daly City and Pacifica too foggy and too cold? I mean is it like everyday or sometimes?
*How difficult the transportation from these places to downtown SF?
*If I want to drive, is it possible to find a parking garage for a monthly payment? How much would that be around?

Any comments, advices will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 02:39 AM

24,351 posts, read 26,808,433 times
Daly City has some nice areas, although you deal with more than normal fog, but it isn't year round. Pacfica is a sleepy little town that experiences a lot of fog, but still not year round. Many apartments in Daly city offer parking. Street parking is easy in most parts of Pacifica. You can ride BART to downtown SF from Daly City and they have a giant parking garage. Richmond is across the bay and is the most dangerous city in the Bay Area. You are much better off looking in parts of Oakland such as Uptown, Grand Lake or Rockridge.

What is your rent budget?

Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,049,438 times
You talking about Richmond the city or the Richmond District in northeastern San Francisco, i.e. within the city limits?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,306,997 times
Downtown SF does have monthly parking, but it's pricey, as you might expect. Depending on location, you'll be paying anywhere from $300 to $500 per month. Probably the sweet spot for rates is around $360 to $425/month.

Try this link:

San Francisco Parking Search Engine - Find Daily & Monthly Parking

I'd strongly advise using public transportation if you can.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 AM

326 posts, read 528,105 times
If you want ocean I would look up Pacifica. Sure there's fog but it's not the end of the world.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:16 AM

102,110 posts, read 107,301,106 times
Personally, I'd prefer Pacifica. There's a foggy part of Pacifica, and a part that gets more sun. Look into that, if it matters to you.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:02 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,095,828 times
Point Richmond (the part on the bay) isn't a bad place at all, and certainly the best value out of those places, but the commute can be a drag. Also, large parts of Richmond are blighted with high crime and poverty; stay out of the Iron Triangle and North Richmond neighborhoods. You can drive down Cutting Blvd. from Point Richmond to the El Cerrito Del Norte BART station and park, less hassle and cost than paying bridge tolls and parking in downtown SF.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:30 PM

23,378 posts, read 23,798,100 times
Of the three, I would pick Daly City, for it's proximity to San Francisco.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 PM

4 posts, read 14,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Daly City has some nice areas, although you deal with more than normal fog, but it isn't year round. Pacfica is a sleepy little town that experiences a lot of fog, but still not year round. Many apartments in Daly city offer parking. Street parking is easy in most parts of Pacifica. You can ride BART to downtown SF from Daly City and they have a giant parking garage. Richmond is across the bay and is the most dangerous city in the Bay Area. You are much better off looking in parts of Oakland such as Uptown, Grand Lake or Rockridge.

What is your rent budget?
thank you for the quick answer, wow, i am surprised, i didn't think Richmond would be a bad area because I kind of liked the idea of being very close to a marina but thats ok lol. I will look from Dali City then. Well I am trying not to exceed $1600 for the monthly rent, electric and water bills.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:06 PM

6,809 posts, read 9,017,123 times
Pacifica is nice. You'll be close to the ocean, but it's a pretty small town with nothing to do. Daly City isn't much better, but at least you'd be close to Bart and Caltrain for getting around. Both places are in the fog belt but you are more likely to have fog on the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland