U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 01:13 AM

185 posts, read 580,501 times

Advertisements

The white population (and black population) is decreasing and the Asian and/or Latino population is increasing in most spots in the Bay Area. Races also tend to self segregate in that certain areas/cities steer towards one particular race. The census data is pretty interesting when looking over a 10+ year period. You have cities like Fremont (50% Asian) and Hayward (40% Latino) that were at one time white majorities that are now leaning or moving toward a certain race. Then you have places like Walnut Creek (as mentioned by another poster) that are still nearly 80% white but it doesn't meet your other criteria. Berkeley is 60% white which is fairly high for the Bay Area but it is fairly urban so it has some big city benefits - transit, culture, amenities, etc. and problems - homeless, crime, etc. A place like Hercules has a fairly diverse ethnic makeup and it is affordable and safe, but it is a sleepy suburb so wouldn't meet your criteria either. I just don't think you will find what you're looking for in the Bay Area. You'd have to compromise on some of your criteria or relocate.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:39 AM

110 posts, read 155,329 times
Check out Sebastopol

Old 04-20-2013, 08:41 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,564,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
What should their share of the population be? 5,10,20,30?
Exactly.

Last edited by silverkris; 04-20-2013 at 10:02 AM..

Old 04-20-2013, 10:10 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,564,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
I definitely don't stereotype based on appearance. My impressions are based on a person's attitude/the way they carry themself first and foremost. That ghetto girl (from Oakland) was loud, cussed, with no politeness or dignity, and was quick to argue and in a threatening manner. She just so happened to be Black. I've had quite a few Black friends, who were nothing like this. So don't start calling me racist because I call a girl who is Black ghetto and say I don't want to be around someone like that.
This is going down like an anvil, there's just no good way to explain yourself without looking bad. It would have been better for you not to have said this no matter how you've justified it - and just state your preferences for a locale.

As it stands, I (and probably much of the other posters) don't believe that most of your conditions could be met by a community here in the SF Bay Area. Sounds like you want the vibe without the urban problems, ethnic, but not "too ethnic"(what ever it means), and affordable too (which is probably the hardest to achieve here). I'd be thinking Palo Alto because it's got the educated, progressive core of people, vegetarianism, and it's not "too ethnic" (I am gritting my teeth writing this), but it's horribly expensive. Not to mention that it's not exactly a hotbed of nightlife and might be too sedate for you.

Last edited by silverkris; 04-20-2013 at 11:28 AM..

Old 04-21-2013, 02:51 AM

487 posts, read 777,527 times
Thanks @jrb724 and @silverkris.

It may not sound good, but I still don't think there's anything wrong with it and it's pretty dumb how I can't be honest as, say, an Asian wanting to live in a neighborhood with people of the same Asian nationality. Hella dumb, in Bay Area lingo. Like another poster mentioned, certain immigrant racial groups tend to cluster, because they feel more at home in those neighborhoods, where they can relate to people more. It's the same deal with me, only it looks so bad because I'm White. If the said 'ethnic groups' are more varied, and more Americanized (i.e. don't struggle with English and sell cockroaches in their markets -- I saw this in a Chinese market in Santa Rosa btw...), the ethnic makeup of the city wouldn't matter.

@ladderofflocus, you consider Sepastopol happenin'...?

Old 04-21-2013, 03:41 AM

17,878 posts, read 17,711,651 times
@djohanna: That's the problem... you can't really find a city or district in the Bay Area that is affordable, safe and exciting. It's as simple as that. The affordable areas are either dangerous, full of "fobs" and/or boring. You should pick another state because you will experience the same thing in SoCal too. It won't be as high of a degree as in the Bay Area though.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:10 AM

27,139 posts, read 29,525,271 times
OP it sounds like you have already exhausted yourself of all off the Bay Are options. Try Salt Lake City.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:54 PM

631 posts, read 667,155 times
mod cut I have to say again, if you could get over your "annoyance" with hipsters, then Portland or Seattle would be perfect for you. Otherwise, I'd say Boise or Minneapolis based on all of your criteria.

(we've already determined the bay is not for you - there's "mexicans, asians, and hipsters" here)

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-26-2013 at 03:26 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 PM

27,139 posts, read 29,525,271 times
OP I am noticing a pattern with you. You base your opinion on a group or city based an experience with a single individual or household. It is going to be hard to find a place where people don't annoy you.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 AM

110 posts, read 155,329 times
I can relate to the OP. I am Chinese myself and would prefer to not live somewhere with a high percentage of Chinese due to my not liking the types of business they tend open (stores that sell crappy schlock and crappy food) and due to how they tend to uglify neighborhoods. Why can't you folks respect her decision to live in a type of place where she'd feel most comfortable in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland