Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:43 PM

487 posts, read 896,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You also said being in the same room with "ghetto" girls in high school was too much for you to deal with. And you followed it with I want to live somewhere mostly white and limited Asian or Mexican cuisine.

In my experience, "ghetto" is a euphemism for certain people. Sounds to me like you have some issues with stereotyping people.

A. Hippie/granola/vegetarians types come in all types. Especially in the Bay Area.

B. some of the things you are looking for come packaged with Asians and Latinos here in the state of California.

Try Colorado. You'll find your mostly white alterna lifestyle community. It doesn't really exist here in the Bay Area. Too much diversity for you it sounds like.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Okay, but to make my point more clear (and I made no connection to the ghetto girl), I went on to say "i'm just not much into Mexican or Asian culture & food".

By the way, that ghetto girl was Black, not Mexican or Asian.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I am black and have spent most of my formative years in white majority cities and neighborhoods. I am more than used to be one of few "minorities" of any shade and being stereotyped based on my own appearance. OP sounds like one of the types I have encountered over the years.

"I'm not racist, I have a black/Asian/Mexican/whatever friend." And follows it with a prejudicial comment.

I definitely don't stereotype based on appearance. My impressions are based on a person's attitude/the way they carry themself first and foremost. That ghetto girl (from Oakland) was loud, cussed, with no politeness or dignity, and was quick to argue and in a threatening manner. She just so happened to be Black. I've had quite a few Black friends, who were nothing like this. So don't start calling me racist because I call a girl who is Black ghetto and say I don't want to be around someone like that.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I'll phrase it in the same way I would in the relationship forum. Preferences are fine. Preferences where you throw everyone who doesn't meet your preference under the bus is not.

OP would have been perceived wildly differently if she said "I want to live somewhere safe where there are hippie granola types who like to hike." And stopped right there.

"Preferences where you throw everyone who doesn't meet your preference under the bus is not."?

No, I don't mind living around some Mexicans and Asians--actually, that's much preferred to a 100% White city! But I don't want to live in a city ONLY with those racial groups. You call that throwing them under a bus...?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:58 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
How do you wind up in these places, OP?

I live in a majority Asian neighborhood right now.
I don't like the weird smell of old fish or an over-the-top incense cloud in the markets in my neighborhood. I don't like how pretty much all the signs are written in Asian lettering. I don't not being able to communicate with people clearly in English. I don't like seeing large carcasses hanging in shop window displays, or seeing nasty foods like jarred eel on the market aisles.

I used to live in majority Mexican neighborhoods. Same deal. I don't like the food, especially as a vegetarian and a health nut (lard in the beans and desserts, beef testicles and brains, blah blah). But mostly the language barrier. And the way they tended to play loud music during the afternoons. A generalization, sure, but from experience.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-19-2013 at 11:11 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 11:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Must be nice to be able to choose to live somewhere and never have to deal with unpleasant people.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How do you wind up in these places, OP?

I live in a majority Asian neighborhood right now.
I don't like the weird smell of old fish or an over-the-top incense cloud in the markets in my neighborhood. I don't like how pretty much all the signs are written in Asian lettering. I don't not being able to communicate with people clearly in English. I don't like seeing large carcasses hanging in shop window displays, or seeing nasty foods like jarred eel on the market aisles.

I used to live in majority Mexican neighborhoods. Same deal. I don't like the food, especially as a vegetarian and a health nut (lard in the beans and desserts, beef testicles and brains, blah blah). But mostly the language barrier. And the way they tended to play loud music during the afternoons. A generalization, sure, but from experience.
There's no way this is legit.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:03 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,598,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
No, I don't mind living around some Mexicans and Asians--actually, that's much preferred to a 100% White city! But I don't want to live in a city ONLY with those racial groups.
What should their share of the population be? 5,10,20,30?

Old 04-20-2013, 12:36 AM

I'm not sure. Any mix of non-white would probably be ok. Shake things up. But not over half the population.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Must be nice to be able to choose to live somewhere and never have to deal with unpleasant people.
Never?
:/

Old 04-20-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
There's no way this is legit.
Which part...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland