Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 02:27 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times

Advertisements

You cant throw money at person that isn't trying to save himself. This is common sense! It's like throwing money to Iraq expecting them to wash cars in bikinis and waving the American flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 02:33 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
This conversation is not going off-topic by discussing homelessness as being analogous to drug or alcohol addiction ... but it is in error doing so. Homelessness is not an addiction. No one craves it. No one steals to become homeless. Virtually all those who seem to prefer life on the streets to getting help are simply distrustful or ill. The majority would gladly engage in solving their problem. Some can, with varying levels of support. Others really aren't very capable or competitive to fight their way back ... but that is not a condition of desire.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:35 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Don't know if you are addressing me specifically here?

I would point out, in any case, that no one individual is in a position to open up their neighbors' wallets to give to the homeless. We function as a society. Some of us recognize there are costs to helping the homeless, yet even more cost to NOT helping solve this crisis. I recognize that some people believe the problem should be / can be eliminated by forcing the homeless to another state -- but, short of the only other alternative of killing the homeless, shuttling them off to Timbuktu isn't going to happen. Homelessness is a symptom of a social / cultural condition. It will not cease with each busload ferried to Nevada. I will vote to open wallets as necessary to safeguard -- and improve -- our society by providing dignified treatment of my fellow citizens.
Great post! I could not have put it nearly as well.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You cant throw money at person that isn't trying to save himself. This is common sense! It's like throwing money to Iraq expecting them to wash cars in bikinis and waving the American flag.
So what do you suggest?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:37 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Well, what do YOU suggest?

Passing this ridiculous bill?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:40 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Well, of course you CAN throw money at people who aren't trying to help themselves ... but who is suggesting that?

There are people who are capable of moving on restructuring their lives after misfortune. And there are people who aren't. Different categories. Both deserve and require solutions. People who are capable and desirous of managing their lives are pretty easy to work with by comparison to those who aren't. But those who aren't are still a dangerous burden if not managed. Costs money both ways.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
This conversation is not going off-topic by discussing homelessness as being analogous to drug or alcohol addiction ... but it is in error doing so. Homelessness is not an addiction. No one craves it. No one steals to become homeless. Virtually all those who seem to prefer life on the streets to getting help are simply distrustful or ill. The majority would gladly engage in solving their problem. Some can, with varying levels of support. Others really aren't very capable or competitive to fight their way back ... but that is not a condition of desire.
I agree with you. And I add (possibly again -- sorry): The homeless are human beings. They deserve food, shelter, clothing, and basic medical care. Just like the rest of us. And simply because they are human beings. Regardless of whether or not they want to clean up their act. I've never known any homeless person, man or woman, of any age, who wakes up one morning and says, "Wow, I think I'll be homeless and lazy and let others take care of me! It's gonna be a great life!" They are there because they are either sick or because our society failed them.

I will make one concession: As of last month, 22% of US children are living in poverty. Since the government's income level between poverty and not poverty is ridiculous, I'd say a lot more children than just 22% are living in poverty. In The US. Not necessarily homeless but living in poverty. We need to take care of them -- and pregnant women -- first. And we're not doing that either!

Old 05-09-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Well, what do YOU suggest?

Passing this ridiculous bill?
I've already stated, in a previous post, what I suggest. And that includes passing this bill. It may be somewhat ridiculous -- it certainly doesn't begin to address the need -- but it's a start. Being homeless is NOT a crime.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
I suggest investing money into government work programs, so the city can hire homeless people that want to work, but can't find work to clean our parks or whatever. This is better than giving handouts because it will allow those who want to get out of homelessness the ability to work and save money.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 PM

604 posts, read 1,301,731 times
Quote:
I suggest investing money into government work programs, so the city can hire homeless people that want to work, but can't find work to clean our parks or whatever. This is better than giving handouts because it will allow those who want to get out of homelessness the ability to work and save money.
Back to the New Deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland