U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 PM

604 posts, read 1,094,867 times

Advertisements

I'd say 1. 400 sf apiece would be a pretty fair division. You get to decide which side of the rooms you will stay on, and share the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 11:23 PM

77,884 posts, read 69,839,114 times
*whew* Some of these people posting should be glad they don't live in Seattle, where the City Council bought and operates two apartment bldgs. that provide free housing AND free meals to homeless alcoholics. I couldn't believe it when it was posted on one of the Seattle threads, but they posted a link, and it's for real. Their tax dollars at work.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:31 PM

17,874 posts, read 17,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
*whew* Some of these people posting should be glad they don't live in Seattle, where the City Council bought and operates two apartment bldgs. that provide free housing AND free meals to homeless alcoholics. I couldn't believe it when it was posted on one of the Seattle threads, but they posted a link, and it's for real. Their tax dollars at work.
They still spend tens of millions less than SF

Old 05-09-2013, 11:40 PM

77,884 posts, read 69,839,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
They still spend tens of millions less than SF
And they achieve more! How do they do it? Someone should do a study.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
And they achieve more! How do they do it? Someone should do a study.
Less complicated solutions... San Francisco loves to complicate things as much as possible, so every politician gets paycheck

Old 05-10-2013, 06:05 AM

1,801 posts, read 2,654,471 times
Quote:
They are called SROs, and they are for the homeless. Boston has some. I think LA does too. And the results have been interesting since they opened up.

1. The homeless who live in these SROs are not spending 1-3 times a week in the ERs of local hospitals anymore. So tax dollars are no longer going to (mostly useless) ER visits, which our tax dollars were paying for.

2. The homeless do not have to be clean and sober to have a room in these SROs (or at least in some of these SROs). However, some residents do clean up and sober up after being in an SRO residence for a while. It's believed that it has something to do with a homeless person no longer feeling 'out there and all alone' anymore. In other words, a sense of community and belong is important to one's well being -- but then AA has already long established that.

There's a third point but it's slipped my mind at the moment.

So, yes, some of our tax dollars are at work -- and they are actually working for something good, beneficial, productive -- for a change.

When we realize that homelessness is a societal problem and when we realize that it is in our best interests to help the homeless rather than punish them, then things will definitely change for the better. If that doesn't happen, you all will be yelling -- until the day you die -- about how the homeless are such a problem for you. Which I would find amusing if it weren't so very sad. This country is rapidly deteriorating, and one of the main reasons is because we've all come to believe and to live as though "life is all about me'.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM

11,093 posts, read 10,130,269 times
Quote:

The State of California owns several buildings that are still sitting vacant. There was an exposť done a couple of years ago on one in Sacramento and another in Southern California. Nothing ever came of the stories. I don't think the buildings have been sold but i haven't really kept tabs on the it, either. But it's not just the state. They just follow what the federal government does. Taxpayer money being wasted on empty buildings owned by the federal government, to the tune of 8 Billion $$$$. Shameful.

Federal government spends $8 billion

At least Seattle is using those buildings to house people in need. We just let them sit empty and collect dust mites.

Last edited by HereOnMars; 05-10-2013 at 11:36 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 07:51 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,769,038 times
Here is an interesting short article about how Honolulu is proposing to help some of their chronic homeless ... it is of particular relevance to this discussion because it highlights several of the issues that became hot sub-topics in this thread: drug addiction and mental illness -- and the realization that providing shelter should be prioritized over treatment for substance abuse. There is reference in here to the need for providing a sense of security and care before substance abuse can be successfully addressed.

Honolulu mayor reveals plan to reduce homelessness - Businessweek
Quote:
Caldwell said his plan is different from Honolulu's previous attempts to reduce homelessness because the proposal seeks to help people find housing within their own communities, rather than corralling them into one neighborhood.
City officials also say that previous plans to fight homelessness prioritized substance abuse treatment before housing. The new initiative sees shelter as the first level of treatment.
This also supports the concept of "wet-housing" where alcoholics are given shelter regardless of quitting their drinking.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Here is an interesting short article about how Honolulu is proposing to help some of their chronic homeless ... it is of particular relevance to this discussion because it highlights several of the issues that became hot sub-topics in this thread: drug addiction and mental illness -- and the realization that providing shelter should be prioritized over treatment for substance abuse. There is reference in here to the need for providing a sense of security and care before substance abuse can be successfully addressed.

Honolulu mayor reveals plan to reduce homelessness - Businessweek
This also supports the concept of "wet-housing" where alcoholics are given shelter regardless of quitting their drinking.
I would look at the actions of cities with low homeless numbers, not high such as Honolulu. Maybe do the opposite of them.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:11 AM

7,150 posts, read 8,769,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I would look at the actions of cities with low homeless numbers, not high such as Honolulu. Maybe do the opposite of them.
Then you would be making observations and decisions in error. Homeless populations have different characteristics in various cities. They are not completely identical. Honolulu's problem is quite different from New York's problem, etc. As are the potential solutions. There are commonalities. There are also serious distinctions. Your blanket generalization again betrays your lack of knowledge of the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland