Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:26 PM

102,132 posts, read 107,402,364 times

Advertisements

Hey, let us know when you get settled in, OP! Let us know how you like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM

11 posts, read 26,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hey, let us know when you get settled in, OP! Let us know how you like it.
I certainly will. I'm pretty excited! Knowing that I'll be getting there with just a cheap hotel reserved for a week and a half, with no idea where I'll be staying is a little scary though, but it'll be an adventure.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:37 PM

102,132 posts, read 107,402,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred89 View Post
I certainly will. I'm pretty excited! Knowing that I'll be getting there with just a cheap hotel reserved for a week and a half, with no idea where I'll be staying is a little scary though, but it'll be an adventure.
Best of luck! If all else fails, there may be a youth hostel in the area.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,788,401 times
Quote:

Many of you mention the differences in culture between Oakland and San Francisco, but don't really state any unbiased details. However, it does seem that even if I start in San Francisco now, I'll probably end up in Oakland as my wants change.

Anyway, thanks everyone!
The differences are not readily apparent. I think you have to experience both to see it. SF has way more preppy frat types than Oakland. And SF is more status driven than most of the east bay. The average place in Oakland will attract a much wider range of people than the average place in SF. In sf if you are in a bar where hipsters congregate it will be all hipsters. The Oakland crowd will have hipsters, non profit workers, 50 year olds.....

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:55 PM

24,353 posts, read 26,830,821 times
Quote:
I don't know if I was expecting this much of an argument, especially since I purposely left out any discussion about crime since I've seen that blow up in other threads. Either way, after reading through the lines of everyone's post, I think I have a better idea of the differences between the two locations and I think I'm going to stick to living in San Francisco.

Many of you mention the differences in culture between Oakland and San Francisco, but don't really state any unbiased details. However, it does seem that even if I start in San Francisco now, I'll probably end up in Oakland as my wants change.

Finally, as for roommates, I'm leaning pretty heavily towards having them. I've found a few people on Reddit who I may search for apartments with when I get there, but it looks like I'll probably just have to get there and start e-mailing people on craig's list like crazy. I'm getting there two weeks before I start to work, so we'll see how I manage.

Anyway, thanks everyone!
It's normal on this forum for arguments to develop when discussing San Francisco and Oakland in one thread lol. I'm not joking when I say there is a big rivalry between the two, so no worries.

I think you are making the correct choice considering you want to live car-free and don't mind having room mates. You can get a really awesome place for less than your budget with room mates. It's very common. It would be easier for you to find a room to rent on craigslist, than gathering a few mates together. Most will want to meet you to see if you click before you sign anything anyways.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy it here!

Old 04-29-2013, 02:00 PM

67 posts, read 198,433 times
Quote:
also don't necessarily rule out airbnb dot com or couchsurfing dot com. You can find as low as the 20s per night to rent a bed or 'couch' lol in various areas. Pix and reviews too. Seems like the new wave nationally. May be an idea till you find a place,.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:47 PM

11 posts, read 26,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen96817 View Post
also don't necessarily rule out airbnb dot com or couchsurfing dot com. You can find as low as the 20s per night to rent a bed or 'couch' lol in various areas. Pix and reviews too. Seems like the new wave nationally. May be an idea till you find a place,.
airbnb was my next choice after my hotel reservation runs out, but couch surfing may be a better idea since I won't ship my stuff to san francisco until I find a place. My hotel is only $55/night, but I can only stay there a max of two weeks, so they'll kick me out eventually.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM

67 posts, read 198,433 times
also if you go the craigslist route in finding roomies,make sure you place yourself in the "looking TO rent a room" section as many who have rooms probably opt not to place an ad in the 'rooms avail' section due to getting a large # of responses of varying types ie, people not even in town, or informational requests. That way they can contact you and not deal with scores of requests.

good luck. I 'm hoping to move back to SF by the end of summer.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:45 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,055,003 times
Good luck finding a place you like. The market for rentals and roommates in SF is a war zone even when there isn't a tech market boom. Being open to roommates will definitely open up your options, but don't say we didn't warn you when you're wondering a few months from now if it's worth paying $1500 a month to clean your lazy roommate's dishes, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland