Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:05 PM

36,643 posts, read 67,325,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
I would say SF's Suburban area's have a decent mix as well. Richmond, Vallejo, Pinole, Daly City, San Leandro, etc San Pablo are all diverse economically and racially. Their area may be larger but I don't think anymore Diverse
The East Bay and Northern Peninsula is an extremely diverse(racially, socio-economically and ethnically) easily comparable to the NY burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 12:19 PM

9,523 posts, read 30,417,314 times
Quote:
I would say SF's Suburban area's have a decent mix as well. Richmond, Vallejo, Pinole, Daly City, San Leandro, etc San Pablo are all diverse economically and racially. Their area may be larger but I don't think anymore Diverse
Many of those areas have serious crime problems no? Do those areas have good schools? Isn't Richmond considered high crime and Vallejo bankrupt?

NYC metro has a massive number of affordable, safe, well-kept, middle-and-working class postwar tracts that have terrific schools. As far as I am concerned there is nothing in California that compares. CA is much more stratified with rich vs. poor than NYC suburbs.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:27 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,283,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Many of those areas have serious crime problems no? Do those areas have good schools? Isn't Richmond considered high crime and Vallejo bankrupt?

NYC metro has a massive number of affordable, safe, well-kept, middle-and-working class postwar tracts that have terrific schools. As far as I am concerned there is nothing in California that compares. CA is much more stratified with rich vs. poor than NYC suburbs.
As do many of the Suburban area's in NY. Area's of Long Island are rough as well. Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx , Staten Island same thing. You'll be in a nice decent area, then turn the corner and be in a huge high crime housing project complex. Projects not seen out here. NY is literally block to block in terms of crime.

The bad school thing in CA is overrated.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:11 PM

334 posts, read 1,267,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
Actually, lots of the wealthy in New York take the train from Long Island and WestChester. The young yuppsters take the train or taxi when they are late. People drive alot more in SF.
Nahh.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:21 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,531,418 times
Quote:

No it's not, when you have to live in an upper middle class suburb just to have good schools then that is a serious problem. We rank in the bottom 5 states for education, how is that "overrated"?

Old 10-08-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
As do many of the Suburban area's in NY. Area's of Long Island are rough as well. Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx , Staten Island same thing. You'll be in a nice decent area, then turn the corner and be in a huge high crime housing project complex. Projects not seen out here. NY is literally block to block in terms of crime.

I grew up on Long Island. Aside from perhaps Hempstead or Roosevelt there is nothing that compares remotely to Richmond. The vast majority of LI is safe, with great schools, and high education levels.

Remember NYC is exponentially larger than SF bay metro so comparing the boros to the inner suburbs is comparing the distance from downtown SF to it's exurbs.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:24 PM

36,643 posts, read 67,325,378 times
Quote:

Huh?
Fremont, Newark, Union City, Hayward, San Leandro, Alameda, Albany, El Cerrito, Daly City, South San Francisco, San Bruno, Millbrae and San Mateo have lots of middle class households, are safe and have relatively good schools.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:25 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,531,418 times
Quote:
Yes they do, Vallejo is awful. High crime, HORRIBLE schools, and now it's bankrupt. The best thing my mother and father did for my family was move out of that hell hole when I was young. You're an anomaly in Vallejo if you don't have at least one kid by age 21.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Huh?
Fremont, Newark, Union City, Hayward, San Leandro, Alameda, Albany, El Cerrito, Daly City, South San Francisco, San Bruno, Millbrae and San Mateo have lots of middle class households, are safe and have relatively good schools.
Don't houses cost 5,600k+ there?

You can buy a 3/2 rancher in East Northport for 350k... and it's a very nice area.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:43 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,283,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No it's not, when you have to live in an upper middle class suburb just to have good schools then that is a serious problem. We rank in the bottom 5 states for education, how is that "overrated"?
Why do you think thats unique to California? That goes for anywhere. There are good schools and bad schools as with everywhere. How many ESL students do those states who rank higher have in comparison to us? Probably nowhere near CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland