U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:56 PM

14 posts, read 28,366 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Bay Area. Originally i was gonna look into rental properties, but i think i may switch my interest to some Homes in Oakland. I don't know the Bay Area nor Oakland at all wanted to get some of your advice. I have a few homes that I am checking out. I wanted to share with you some of the neighborhoods and see what yalls thoughts are in terms of safety and ideal location. For now, it'll be shared between young professionals and may consider long term w/ school district.

Right now safety is a number one concern. Community is something I wanna consider too. I think we'd like to be able to walk to the BART or go for a run without feeling too much concerns. Also less risk of house broken into. Here are the locations I am looking at. If you don't mind, could yall provide some inputs?

1 - Redwood Heights - Pretty close to MacArthur Blvd & High St
2 - Oakmore - Near Dimond Canyon Park
3 - Between Sequoyah Country Club and 580. Just North of Knowland State Arboretum & Park and Just East of 580.
4 - In Between Dimond and Redwood Heights. Just south of 35th St and in between 580 and 13
5 - Might be called Caballo Hills (South). East of 580 and East of Eastmont. Just North of Keller Ave
6 - South of Sequoyah Country Club - nearby Skyline and Golf Links Road
7 - Temescal/Rockridge - It's East of Claremont Ave and 51st Street and West of College Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 12:05 AM

17,927 posts, read 17,836,617 times
Rockridge would be my no 1 pick

Old 05-06-2013, 12:09 AM

78,674 posts, read 70,531,500 times
That little area between where Claremont and College cross is a nice neighborhood and a great location. You know, you can always drive around these neighborhoods, and ask the neighbors when you see them outside.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 AM

27,168 posts, read 29,669,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadave View Post
I am moving to the Bay Area. Originally i was gonna look into rental properties, but i think i may switch my interest to some Homes in Oakland. I don't know the Bay Area nor Oakland at all wanted to get some of your advice. I have a few homes that I am checking out. I wanted to share with you some of the neighborhoods and see what yalls thoughts are in terms of safety and ideal location. For now, it'll be shared between young professionals and may consider long term w/ school district.

Right now safety is a number one concern. Community is something I wanna consider too. I think we'd like to be able to walk to the BART or go for a run without feeling too much concerns. Also less risk of house broken into. Here are the locations I am looking at. If you don't mind, could yall provide some inputs?

1 - Redwood Heights - Pretty close to MacArthur Blvd & High St
2 - Oakmore - Near Dimond Canyon Park
3 - Between Sequoyah Country Club and 580. Just North of Knowland State Arboretum & Park and Just East of 580.
4 - In Between Dimond and Redwood Heights. Just south of 35th St and in between 580 and 13
5 - Might be called Caballo Hills (South). East of 580 and East of Eastmont. Just North of Keller Ave
6 - South of Sequoyah Country Club - nearby Skyline and Golf Links Road
7 - Temescal/Rockridge - It's East of Claremont Ave and 51st Street and West of College Ave.
Ok most of the areas you are looking at aren't really very walkable.

As for Temescal/Rockridge. Can you clarify on East of Claremont? Claremont mostly runs east/west .....do you mean south of claremont?

As for North Oakland to the Berkeley border, basically anywhere north of Macarthur and east of telegraph is decent to really good.

Between Downtown and Macarthur, there are nice pockets, and areas that are a little sketchy but not high risk in general (between 580 and Telegraph).

Pretty much a universal truth is anything above 580 is fine. But most of what is above 580 isn't very walkable. Especially below the Laurel District (aka 35th Ave and up).

I think you need to refine your criteria a bit. walkable or close to parks or what.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't really need to walk to the metro. I think both of us will either be driving or biking to the metro so i feel pretty safe there. I would like to be in a neighborhood that's just safe to jog at night, or maybe walk a small dog around or something along those lines. I don't want to feel like there's a higher probability that my house will get broken into.

I did hear about great things in Rockridge. The one in Rockridge is South of Claremont.
Is Oakmore a good area? We don't mind driving or biking to a more popping place to hang out like Rockridge.

Also how are the areas that are south of the 580 and 13 Fork and to the East of 580 (either near Keller Ave or right in btwn Keller Ave and Golf Links Rd)??

Old 05-07-2013, 07:31 AM

317 posts, read 618,311 times
I would recommend that you explore the area around Lake Merritt. Great place to run, good shopping, fine dining, accessible to BART and other public transport. We have a dog and walk him all the time.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:39 AM

when you say lake merritt, do u mean in adam's point or which direction from the BART or the actual lake?

What about Oakmore? I have a place that i really like there.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:52 PM

6,920 posts, read 12,381,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadave View Post
when you say lake merritt, do u mean in adam's point or which direction from the BART or the actual lake?

What about Oakmore? I have a place that i really like there.
Oakmore's very nice. It's split into two sections on either side of Leimert Blvd (Oakmore and Upper Oakmore) both of which are centered around Dimond Canyon Park. Upper Oakmore is very wealthy while Oakmore is more upper middle class. Leimert Blvd is a very small strip that only has a handful of businesses (a pizzeria, grocery store, a Thai joint and a realty company) but it's around the corner from Glenview District as well as Dimond District so it doesn't feel particularly isolated.

The schools surrounding Oakmore are good; Head Royce School (one of the top 25 private schools in the country) is on the Oakmore/Lincoln Highland border and there's no shortage of good public elementary school options in the area.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:14 AM

Is the neighborhood east of 580 and Btwn Keller ave and golf link road good?

Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM

317 posts, read 618,311 times
hi dadave. Adams Point is a great area easily accessible to BART. I would also recommend Cleveland Heights which is a little further from BART but a fine place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland