U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 06:42 PM

583 posts, read 1,228,132 times

Advertisements

Definately Fremont or Newark. Even though crossing the bridge involves some back ups, it's a HUGE difference in commute than Berkeley, and once you cross the bridge as you know, the rent goes waaaay up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 PM

27,139 posts, read 29,534,576 times
I second San Mateo. Fremont is suburbia and San Mateo downtown is pretty good.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:23 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,161,011 times
You'll start out missing the gritty urban realness, then one day you'll wonder how you put up with the garbage and vandalism and beggars and gutter punks.for so long, you'll realize that you left your phone on the front seat of your unlocked car overnight and still have all 4 windows, you'll put the trash out at night and NOT find it strewn around the next morning.

I thought I would hate suburbia, but it down estate grow on you

Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 PM

2,622 posts, read 4,795,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I second San Mateo. Fremont is suburbia and San Mateo downtown is pretty good.
If the rent cost was comparable I would say go for San Mateo. However there is a dramatic difference compared to Fremont. Probably $800 to $1000/month for a similar house.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:06 PM

104 posts, read 159,799 times
Coming from Berkeley, I would say mid Peninsula is your best bet, specifically Burlingame, San Mateo, and Belmont. The hills are very much like the Berkeley hills, weather is maybe just a tad warmer than Berkeley and Oakland but not hot, and the area is close enough to SF that it isn't only stressed out techies who live there. Also, much like Oakland and Berkeley, there are some older neighborhoods from the 20s and 30s, as well as mid century and newer. I personally like both downtown San Mateo and Burlingame a lot. Belmont doesn't have a downtown but is close enough that it doesn't need one.

All three are safe, have good schools, and are family friendly without being dull. However, like most cities of population 100k+, there are a couple areas of San Mateo that aren't so great (North Central, Shoreview). Belmont and Burlingame are small enough that they don't really have areas to avoid.

Foster City and Redwood Shores are mostly cookie cutter developments, nice if you don't mind that type of thing. Further north starts getting cooler, foggier, and more industrial. More south, San Carlos I find to be a weird mixture of industrial and Palo Alto wannabes. Redwood City has nice areas but the downtown has a fair number of sketchy characters and rowdy latinos, and schools are iffy. South from there starts getting into the heart of the rat race.

Last edited by funtimessf; 05-08-2013 at 12:09 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 07:51 AM

84 posts, read 124,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtimessf View Post
Coming from Berkeley, I would say mid Peninsula is your best bet, specifically Burlingame, San Mateo, and Belmont...South from there starts getting into the heart of the rat race.
Interesting. I really like Burlingame's shopping district and proximity to the city, but it definitely felt a little "rat race-like." I can't believe how expensive most of the housing is there. Is there a part of Burlingame that feels a little more down to earth, real estate-wise?

Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 AM

104 posts, read 159,799 times
Yes, that's the downside. All three are expensive, Burlingame more so with median sold prices over $800/sqft. Nice parts of San Mateo and Belmont aren't far behind. I don't equate the cost of houses with the feeling of being in the rat race, though. Parts of Berkeley are also very expensive, like Elmwood, but don't feel frenzied or competitive to me. Marin also. I do get that feeling in the South Bay. Burlingame may be a little on the snootier side though so may not be a match.

Last edited by funtimessf; 05-08-2013 at 09:42 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 AM

17,878 posts, read 17,721,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkadoodle View Post
Interesting. I really like Burlingame's shopping district and proximity to the city, but it definitely felt a little "rat race-like." I can't believe how expensive most of the housing is there. Is there a part of Burlingame that feels a little more down to earth, real estate-wise?
Not really, there are some buildings near the freeway that are less expensive, simply because they are next to the freeway. The locals are pretty down to earth despite the expensive real estate. You will find more options around San Mateo and Foster City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland