U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2013, 07:44 AM
 
84 posts, read 124,685 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

I wouldn't normally consider moving TO San Francisco with kids, but I have been hearing good things about Bernal Heights. Any feedback on safety, parking, kid-friendly restaurants and parks, schools, etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
460 posts, read 833,012 times
Reputation: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkadoodle View Post
I wouldn't normally consider moving TO San Francisco with kids, but I have been hearing good things about Bernal Heights. Any feedback on safety, parking, kid-friendly restaurants and parks, schools, etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Cortland Ave has a commercial area that cuts laterally across Bernal Heights. You have parks, a library, and restaurants. It is very family-friendly and kids are running around, so safety is not a huge concern even at night. Be wary of the southeast corner since there is public housing and not as safe as the rest of Bernal Heights. St Mary's Park nearby has a lot of beautiful houses with yards though. I would take this area over a Bay Area suburb in the Peninsula or East Bay for comparable prices in the 800s.

What is your budget though?

Two areas to consider:
1. Along Cortland Ave
2. In the St. Mary's Park vicinity

Last edited by AngusHsu; 05-10-2013 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 04:53 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 12,334,171 times
Reputation: 3060
If I was going to move to Bernal Heights I'd move in-between Bernal Heights Park and Tompkins Avenue at least three blocks east of Mission Street... Even though the north side of BH (above the park) is considered nicer than the south side, there's definitely spillover crime from a rougher part of the Mission centered around Cesar Chavez/Folsom. I wouldn't live directly around Holly Park either though (it can be seedy at night mainly thanks to the Holly Courts projects on Appleton/Highland) and like AngusHsu said the SE side of BH below Highland is rougher and has spillover from the Alemany projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 01:14 AM
 
32 posts, read 45,145 times
Reputation: 37
You should Google, "bernalwood.files.wordpress," its a little community blog that tells you a lot about the community of Bernal Heights. Having moved from there recently, I have to tell you that parking is horrid, people tend to block your driveway, then when you tell them not to, they get pissed off, and don't want to be neighborly. Bernal also used to be a very diverse neighborhood, but it is trending to the opposite now. Please note, there is crime there, as there is "any" City. Such as Cell Phone Muggings, Robberies, Cars Stolen, & one time someone bashed in all the windows in the neighborhood, and took my spouses checkbook, & other items...And then we became the victims of I.D. Theft. Bernal Heights is situated between the Bay View, the Mission, and the Alamany Projects are just down the Street from Cortland Avenue - All of these hoods are high crime areas.

As far as Children are concerned, they are there, but a lot of the residents of Bernal Hts. do not have Children. Since SF is so pricey (housing wise), a lot of Families tend to move out to less expensive communities. The block that I lived on in Bernal was predominately "NO Children." just lots of folks living with their partners. All in all Bernal Heights is a lovely little Village within the City, but it does have its minuses, & pluses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
460 posts, read 833,012 times
Reputation: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG123 View Post
You should Google, "bernalwood.files.wordpress," its a little community blog that tells you a lot about the community of Bernal Heights. Having moved from there recently, I have to tell you that parking is horrid, people tend to block your driveway, then when you tell them not to, they get pissed off, and don't want to be neighborly. Bernal also used to be a very diverse neighborhood, but it is trending to the opposite now. Please note, there is crime there, as there is "any" City. Such as Cell Phone Muggings, Robberies, Cars Stolen, & one time someone bashed in all the windows in the neighborhood, and took my spouses checkbook, & other items...And then we became the victims of I.D. Theft. Bernal Heights is situated between the Bay View, the Mission, and the Alamany Projects are just down the Street from Cortland Avenue - All of these hoods are high crime areas.

As far as Children are concerned, they are there, but a lot of the residents of Bernal Hts. do not have Children. Since SF is so pricey (housing wise), a lot of Families tend to move out to less expensive communities. The block that I lived on in Bernal was predominately "NO Children." just lots of folks living with their partners. All in all Bernal Heights is a lovely little Village within the City, but it does have its minuses, & pluses.
I will respectfully disagree with you about the lack of children. The percentage of children is increasing at least from observation, albeit from a low base. Many families are tired of the sprawl throughout the Bay Area and are moving into Bernal Heights around Cortland Ave. Not so much into other parts of BH such as the far north side abutting Cesar Chavez or near the Alemany projects.

Three major parks (Holly, Bernal, and St. Mary's) and one library exist in the neighborhood and families are noticing. Crime is still there along Mission St but not nearly as bad as it was in 2010-2011. Those were bad years overall for crime in SF. I live near Bernal Heights and these are mostly anecdotal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 01:34 PM
 
Location: San Diego,CA
398 posts, read 1,203,373 times
Reputation: 215
I wouldnt raise my kids in SF, unless it was one of the better areas.. Well at least not close to the hoods. Hunters Point, Mission, Sunnydale, Bayview.. I grew up in Excelsior district in the mission, Its just not worth it to raise kids around there.. Too many temptations, drugs, violence, just too much wild s#@$ to put my kids around.. Ive seen alot of kids growing up with me in the Mission, really turn out for the worst.. Its just a reality in SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 01:49 PM
 
Location: San Diego,CA
398 posts, read 1,203,373 times
Reputation: 215
On another note. The gentrification of SF is full speed ahead. Its gentrifying even faster than Brooklyn and Queens in NY are.. I'd say twice as fast. The Mission, Bernal Heights, have done complete 180 turns from what they were around 2002-2009. Its pretty sad, because alot of hard working Latinos with businesses in the Mission are being pushed out by the yuppie influx.. As well as respectable Latino residents, just trying to make a living and raise there families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 04:02 PM
 
Location: US
17,879 posts, read 17,721,406 times
Reputation: 13869
I wouldn't move to San Francisco with kids. I know families that have kids from elementary to high school that live in the city and the kids are great and happy. However, you can't escape the homeless and crazies. I would want my children to retain their innocence a bit longer in life. A better alternative would be living on the Peninsula such as San Mateo, Foster City, Burlingame. It's an easy shot to San Francisco, you don't need to pay tolls and the cities are very nice and safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 04:42 PM
 
32 posts, read 45,145 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
I will respectfully disagree with you about the lack of children. The percentage of children is increasing at least from observation, albeit from a low base. Many families are tired of the sprawl throughout the Bay Area and are moving into Bernal Heights around Cortland Ave. Not so much into other parts of BH such as the far north side abutting Cesar Chavez or near the Alemany projects.

Three major parks (Holly, Bernal, and St. Mary's) and one library exist in the neighborhood and families are noticing. Crime is still there along Mission St but not nearly as bad as it was in 2010-2011. Those were bad years overall for crime in SF. I live near Bernal Heights and these are mostly anecdotal.
I stand firmly by what I say, I lived in the heart of Bernal Heights for over 30 plus years, I saw neighborhoods evolve into what they are now. The block that I lived on use to have a lot of Children on it, back in the day. But currently there are "no" children on that block I resided on. I raised my Children there, but I didn't allow my kids to go to the local Public Schools in the area, (Paul Revere). They went to Private Schools, and are all Adults now. Gentrification is in "full effect" in Bernal Heights.

Crime is a Major issue in Bernal Heights, due to the fact that the Community boarders the Mission, the Bay View, and the Alemany Projects. We as a Family were the victims of crime in Bernal Heights, as mentioned in my prior comment, we also had a car stolen, and property in our garage stolen. If you doubt what I say, just go to the Blog "Bernalwood.wordpress," they talk about the crime problem in the community all the time.

Bernal heights is a beautiful community within the City. But it has its downsides too, it really comes down to, "what you are willing to put up with." I got weary of the snobby new influx of new neighbors who blocked "my" driveway, then wanted to cop an attitude on me...a resident of 30 plus years! The crime was an issue also, after 3:00 pm, I was in for the day. Parking is a "major" issue, along with neighbors who use their garages as illegal apartments, and vandalism to your property by youngsters who hang out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
460 posts, read 833,012 times
Reputation: 298
Sorry to hear about the problems with crime. I assure you though, that Bernal Heights and the surrounding area is turning around. It's not full of self-entitled yuppies only. I moved into the area in 2009 and it was quite dirty and crime-ridden. I would find broken bottles every week. Now the area has calmed down. There is a sense of community.

Most of the 2000s were tough years for families living in SF as homeless people and druggies got their handouts under Gavin Newsom to the detriment of the children. The story that the media doesn't cover is the turnaround. I would not raise my kids under 2009 conditions. Now in 2013 I would.

My brother left the area for about five months in 2012 and when he came back in December 2012 he noticed how much cleaner our block was. I also sweep up trash each week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top