U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 PM

16,422 posts, read 22,267,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
People like to move, it's rare to find a perfect apartment especially in SF where you never know who your neighbor will be, and where apartment buildings tend to be decrepit and cramped no matter how expensive they are. Maybe you're living in a small place and want to move in with your sweetheart and need more room, or maybe you have a kid and your 1 bedroom won't suffice anymore.

There are definitely a lot of people in SF who started renting some perfect 2br for a low price in like 1990 or even in the 70's or 80's and will never move out--I call these people "leftovers" (and they're usually really annoying graying hippie fascists)--but the lives of most people change and a studio or 1br they get today won't be enough. That's when the Oakland rental market beckons.

I lived in Hayes Valley in an $800 studio, which was cool until the nightclub next door became oppressively loud. I couldn't afford anything else in SF but needed to move, so I got a super-quiet $850 studio in Rockridge in Oakland. That was a few years ago though, I might not even be able to do that today considering my employer never gave anyone a decent raise.
I think she's talking about home owners mayor and why their costs might increase.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 10:25 AM

76 posts, read 222,911 times
Wow, how smart it is to throw people of a certain outward appearance into a category and condemn them. If you have certain facial hair style, wear certain types of clothes and glasses, you are a hipster and thus a lazy, narcissistic blight on what would otherwise be havens of wonderous urban character. Good thing the group you chose to stereotype and condemn is primarily not a discreet and insular minority usually denied Equal Protection under the 14th Amendment. But your rants are reflections of the same bigotry. It's depressing. Besides, if you pay attention, the cool coffee bars and chic vegan restaurants that flow from the "blight" of hipster-ism, they're generally staffed by hipster looking types who are as hard working and customer-satisfaction oriented as any other good establishment. Thanks, all, this thread has run its course. Later.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:32 AM

249 posts, read 372,658 times
^said hipster

and hipsters are the kings and queens of bigotry..just so we're stating truths here. And they are judged on the content of their character, or lack thereof, not their clothes.

We just rank on their clothes really because of how smug they are about their attire. Comes with the territory when you fail to exhibit any measurable amount of grace or class.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,228,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post
Listen, as far as I'm concerned hipsters -are- gentrification. The term goes where the new incoming population goes. It goes where the new incoming money goes. It dumbfounds me how these people cannot realize that they themselves are the catalysts.

And no, not every aspect of gentrification is bad, but many are. One of them being the fact that a town or city loses its individuality in the almighty quest for the dollar.

Most of you folks rightfully focus on the housing aspect, but what really upsets me, is how these new hipsters/yuppies/techies descend on a place that was once unique, and within a short span, it's commercialized and dumbed down to simply being a bunch of mainstream, knock-off soulless establishments that lack any bit of heart or caring for the community in which they do business.

They say humans have a soul. What if a city did too? What if the soul was removed the vessel? You would have an automaton of course(i.e. machine).

That's what SF has become. A money machine engineered by capitalists who stay up on where the ebb and flow of the transient college/career masses happen to find happening at that particular point in time.

People love to hate hipsters. It's seemingly vogue to bash them and decry them. But that's not why I do it. After having lived in LA and SF, two hipster meccas, I can tell you all, personally speaking, why I loathe the hipster, and why they are a death knell to any grassroots indigenous community that has its own established customs and social behavior/attitude.

To begin with, hipsters are not in any way -cool-. At all. Cool is relative and subjective you might say. Ok, to that I submit to you my definition of cool: I see you in the street, I happen to make an idle friendly comment, and *gasp*, you make one back. You are easy-going. You are not looking me up and down trying to discern what music I like or what scene I belong to and deduceing whether that is acceptable to your social standing. You don't act like a fking snob over anything and everything and Btch and moan like a cossacked infant when you don't get your way. You're not a hopelessly sheltered little vanilla bean kid of a man or woman who would jump out of their skin at their own shadow should it surprise them on the street corner and really has -no- business living in a city anyway because you come from such a sheltered upbringing that you cannot even function or be bothered to function enough to be friendly to a random good dude saying hello in a city of millions!

I could go on and on. Hipsters do not have kindness in their heart. Hipsters do not really care about their communities. They care about themselves to the exclusion of anything else. They are terminally shallow, vapid, pseudo-intellectual ssnobs who look down on anyone who is not into The Smiths or does play dress-up with them when going to the park. They are bar-none the most judgmental, small-minded people you will ever encounter in your life.

And if anyone wants to disagree with me on any of this, I am sure of one thing: you yourself, behind that screenname, are indeed a hipster.

Because they cannot be defended. I'm 30(and 100% WHITE fyi), and while my 90s generation was not some gift to the world, but at least we had heart. At least we were diversified in our tastes.

At least we kept it fkng real. A hipster will never keep it real. Not with their friends, not with themselves, not to any unit of measure.

Because all a hipster is, underneath the fancy facial hair and ill-fatedly bad fedora, is a person who has absolutely no sense of self or individuality whatsoever. Thus the reason they all drink mainly a single brand of beer. That's all a hipster is. Just a vacuous person who does not have the content of character and mental depth to have a discernable uniqueness to them. They are the fodder, the swill. They are the lesser ilk.

And to top it off, they are just plain nasty fkng people. Cold. Phony. They do whatever it takes and live wherever it takes to be seen as -cool- or -hip-. Pathetic, not hip.

You think Brooklyn's cool anymore? Really? Check it out sometime. Then come back to Oakland, and take the hipster threat seriously, gentrification notwithstanding.

I grew up an hour outside of BK, and as rough as it was back in the day, it was REAL, and the vibe was palpable... meaningful. There was visceral life there, not sheltered generic -coolness-.

The truly -cool- folks are the down-to-earth folks. The -cool- folks are the ones who tell you to your face how it is, even if they're your close friend and don't give a shyte if you're rich or poor, if you work in the tech sector, what music you listen to, or how long your beard is.

The cool folks are the ones who unlike hipsters, did NOT grow up sheltered. They have -true- style. They have -true- substance. True social skills. A hipster has none of the above. Rather he/she is a mere construct. A composite if you will.

I know who's real, and who's not. I've been around the block. And though real people can be found in Oakland and SF, the former has a judiciously greater share of them - FACT.

To me, that makes Oakland a superior city and thus the place to be. My humble opinion. You don't live around fake obnoxious people that line your block and live 4x4 on top of you just to avoid higher crime and to say you live in some famous city. eh-eh. You don't do that unless you are one of them. And if you truly think the people of SF are in any way, shape or form -cool- then I'm sure you are right where you belong.
I have noticed that hipster-bashing such as the post above is a favorite pastime of hipsters. Hipsters themselves are the only people who care this much about defining hipsterdom. The rest of us really don't give a ****

Old 05-15-2013, 10:54 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,228,263 times
Narcissism of small differences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-15-2013, 11:00 AM

27,139 posts, read 29,530,248 times
All this hipster talk means I should share a video:

Harvard Sailing Team - Hipster Thanksgiving - YouTube

Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,201,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
I have noticed that hipster-bashing such as the post above is a favorite pastime of hipsters. Hipsters themselves are the only people who care this much about defining hipsterdom. The rest of us really don't give a ****
It's funny because hipster bashers complain about conformity and elitism, but I can't think of a much more elite attitude than declaring one's superiority to an entire group of people, labeling them as all the same, and insulting their core character. Our society loves to slap prescribed labels on people and put them into neatly defined groups....decades ago we called that bigotry and racism, but when put in a different context, that same practice suddenly becomes enlightenment and "realness".

As for me, does it ever occur to these people that some of us prefer one place to another because of its built environment, and not because one is perceived as "cooler" than the other? I mean really, "cool"? What is this, 8th grade? I live in Oakland, but I prefer SF because it's much more dense, walkable, and easier to get around without owning a car. I grew up around densely-packed East Coast cities and I like SF because it reminds me of those places. That's pretty much it. It has nothing to do with some perceived hipster "cool" factor and I get tired of being labeled as such just because I prefer a more urban environment. I couldn't care less about where the most realness/culture/substance is....whatever that means anyway. If Oakland were the more walkable city, I would prefer it over SF.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 AM

249 posts, read 372,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post

What a joke.

I give you all, hipster #2.

I'm from NJ, and I didn't even know what a hipster was until I moved out of state 6 years ago. They don't exist on the shore, or didn't when I lived there.

I could never be a hipster. I care far too little about trends, fashion sense, or DIY. I like 90s rap and trance music among others like classical and ambient.

Nay, nay, this one would never be mistaken for a hipster.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:14 PM

77,936 posts, read 69,884,727 times
In NM, the only hipsters I've seen are aging ones. 40-55, wearing either skateboard clothes, or other typical plumage of the species. At the library I once saw a grey-haired guy in skateboard clothes carrying his skateboard. This was at night! When the library closed, he skated off into the night.

There aren't too many of them in northern NM, I had no idea what they were when I first ran into them. I thought: since when do middle-aged men wear skateboard clothes?

Go figure. It may be more of a thing in Albuquerque.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:13 PM

330 posts, read 648,004 times
I would be happy if I never heard the word "hipster" again. No one even knows what it means anymore. See post above for evidence^ You know, those people used to be called "skaters" back when I was in junior high. Now he's a hipster? Huh?

Best I can tell most people now use the word to refer to "young people living in urban areas." Which is a pretty meaningless way of defining people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland