Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:53 PM

87 posts, read 524,044 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Bay Area for work and have to decide where to live. My impression has been that the risk for a disasterous earthquake is higher in the East Bay. True?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 11:56 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
If you're THAT worried about earthquakes, no where in the Bay Area is good. Pick an area that's right for you and get earthquake insurance if you buy a house.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:05 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
I ditto that response! Yes, supposedly the Hayward fault is "next to blow," but if a BIG one hits, it's not like you'll be safe 10 miles away. Locals typically don't worry about this stuff, since the chances are so slim & random... as you probably know, we had a 5.6 quake the other day, and that was the biggest one since 1989. We sure felt it here, but there wasn't any real damage (aside from stuff breaking near the epicenter). So like EscapeCA said, just get some earthquake insurance & live where you'll be the happiest.

P.S. My family's home did suffer damage in the '89 quake, but our insurance covered everything... and thank goodness, we were all safe and healthy following it.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:10 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswedc View Post
I'm moving to the Bay Area for work and have to decide where to live. My impression has been that the risk for a disasterous earthquake is higher in the East Bay. True?
coalinga i hear is the worst.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:09 AM

I'll never understand why California natives make it seem stupid to take a few minutes to ask a question about an event that's going to destroy hundreds of thousands of homes and cause billions of dollars of damage

Anyway, thanks for the answer.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:57 AM

374 posts, read 1,852,020 times
Quote:
I'll never understand why California natives make it seem stupid to take a few minutes to ask a question about an event that's going to destroy hundreds of thousands of homes and cause billions of dollars of damage

Anyway, thanks for the answer.
I don't think anyone made your question seem stupid. It's legit. I grew up in the midwest and didn't understand anything about earthquakes until I moved to the midwest. But yes, if they Hayward Fault blows, you're going to feel it if you live any where in the Bay Area

Please do not base where you're going to live on fault lines. Pic an area you love. Life is one big risk - you could die tomorrow from any number of things - that's why I don't fear earthquakes.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:00 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Because the odds of it happening are very low. I've been in CA for 34 years and never had any damage from an earthquake. And I live on the worst kind of soil to be on in an earthquake. Its just not something that affects us daily and there's not much we can do about it anywhere if we live in the LA or SF areas. May as well worry about meteors falling and destroying our houses.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:04 AM

Yeah I understand beone. I'm thinking of living in Hayward (the town) so I think it probably will make a bit of a difference which fault the quake is on! Not that I'm making my decision based on that, but I certainly want to be informed about it. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:11 AM

495 posts, read 1,830,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
coalinga i hear is the worst.
I've heard this also. My fiance is from Coalinga and was there during the big earthquake in the 80's or 90's?? He said it was much worse than the '89 quake here. He wants to move back because he's inheriting a house. I've lived in SF but I'm afraid to move there, LOL.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:43 AM

374 posts, read 1,852,020 times
Quote:
Yeah I understand beone. I'm thinking of living in Hayward (the town) so I think it probably will make a bit of a difference which fault the quake is on! Not that I'm making my decision based on that, but I certainly want to be informed about it. Thanks.
Not really. If a big one hits any where in the Bay Area it's going to be devastating to the entire region.... If you live in Hayward and a 7.6 hits on the San Andreas fault, you're going to be hit hard too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland