U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 01:13 PM

15,428 posts, read 25,321,521 times

Advertisements

I doubt many of them make it on $30-35K a year w/o some sort of govt assistance.

Chicago is def a lot more doable on that income.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 01:21 PM

17,879 posts, read 17,730,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neinei876 View Post
bmw335xi, thanks for your honesty. I've heard people say the same about urban cities and having enough money to raise kids. I just know the suburbs or spread out cities are not for me, and I really want to ditch my car and have good public transit.
There are places in the Bay Area that could be doable with your salary, but they will definitely be spread out and require a car. I think your best option would be to look outside California. You might want to look into some cities in Texas such as Austin or Houston. You can find urban areas within those cities that are affordable.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:38 PM

88 posts, read 106,313 times
Sav858 that's what I think too. Rent is just cheaper in Chicago and still has great public transportation. The only risk is having to move prior to landing a job because from experience, they all tell me, "call us back when you relocate."

bmw335xi, I know Texas is growing, heard the cities were more affordable but doesn't any city in Texas require you to have a car?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:54 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,276,273 times
Quote:
bmw335xi, thanks for your honesty. I've heard people say the same about urban cities and having enough money to raise kids. I just know the suburbs or spread out cities are not for me, and I really want to ditch my car and have good public transit.
I earned a little less than $35,000 when I lived in Walnut Creek, CA. I'm a single mother, had a good one bedroom apartment, in a nice area, I was within walking distance of downtown, and my daughter went to Murwood Elementary, which was a fantastic program, and has an absolutely fabulous after-school and summer program. Seriously, I can't recommend it enough.

Walnut Creek also has a BART station, so you could pretty easily commute into SF. However, it's also in an area that has a good amount of jobs (especially in the admin arena), so you could probably get a job in WC, Concord, Pleasant Hill, Lamorinda (Lafayette, Orinda, Moraga), or right through the tunnel in the nicer areas of Oakland.

It is a bit of a suburb, but the downtown is walkable and more compact, and it has a lot of good restaurants and nice stores. There are also some excellent parks nearby with tons of play structures, lots of lawn, lots of sand areas - really fantastic for a little kid.

And again, I really can't recommend Murwood (and their after school program) more. In the summer they do regular fieldtrips (walking) to nearby areas, and they also have regular pool/swim days.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:23 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,161,694 times
$30k IS rent for year on 2 bedroom apartment in SF

Old 05-16-2013, 03:40 PM

297 posts, read 652,743 times
Default salaries

Have you looked at salaries in the bay area? Your estimate seems really low. I have a couple of friends doing admin type work and they are both over 50k/year.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 PM

78,027 posts, read 69,950,573 times
Quote:
Ruth4Truth, I've looked at Craigslist and that's where I get most of the possible rent prices from. I've also heard that there are less and less families there... I guess I'm just weighing being around friends (which would be my support network) or completely alone in Chicago. SF seems almost absolutely impossible. Almost because I always have a little hope
Aw, shucks, OP! Sounds sad. Is SF proper the only venue acceptable to you? What about living across the Bay or maybe in Pacifica, where it would be more affordable? (Still a stretch on your anticipated income, but we don't know exactly what you'll be able to score yet.) If you have friends in SF, you'd still be plenty close enough to hang out with them on weekends if you were in Albany, Walnut Creek, or Concord. MisfitBanana's info sounds pretty good, sounds do-able.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:27 PM

252 posts, read 855,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
$30k IS rent for year on 2 bedroom apartment in SF
$30K / year is actually a great deal for a two bedroom in the city (i.e., $2,500 / month).

Old 05-16-2013, 05:44 PM

88 posts, read 106,313 times
Misfitbanana, I'm so grateful for your posting because it just gave me hope that it can be done! I am willing to go to Walnut Creek and even as far as Pleasanton (but not Tracy) if I can live near public transportation that takes me to SF. It may not be near the City, but if I can provide my daughter a better living environment, can afford it and with a good school, I can save my trips to City for the weekends. I will PM you later if that's okay with you because I would definitely like some advice from a single mom already making it.

thecooler, I think it's because I don't have years of experience but I am hoping to gain some additional skills and work my way up to an executive assistant which may grant me the salary I'd need to live inside the city, if I choose to do so at that time. I've seen both low salaries ($12/hr) and high ($55k). I'll try my best, of course, to get the highest I can but with the requirements most ads have listed, I mostly qualify for $30-$35k ones.

Ruth4Truth, I am willing to live outside of SF city or across the bay As long as it has easy access to the city and good public transit (that I can afford), I am open to it. I just don't want over an hour's commute. Thanks for the reassurance of Misfitbanana's advice. I will be sure to look into those cities and you're right; I can go to SF city on the weekends. I'll just make sure I live near good local public transit or near stores, restaurants, parks, etc. to make it a little easier.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:21 PM

78,027 posts, read 69,950,573 times
Quote:
Misfitbanana, I'm so grateful for your posting because it just gave me hope that it can be done! I am willing to go to Walnut Creek and even as far as Pleasanton (but not Tracy) if I can live near public transportation that takes me to SF. It may not be near the City, but if I can provide my daughter a better living environment, can afford it and with a good school, I can save my trips to City for the weekends. I will PM you later if that's okay with you because I would definitely like some advice from a single mom already making it.

thecooler, I think it's because I don't have years of experience but I am hoping to gain some additional skills and work my way up to an executive assistant which may grant me the salary I'd need to live inside the city, if I choose to do so at that time. I've seen both low salaries ($12/hr) and high ($55k). I'll try my best, of course, to get the highest I can but with the requirements most ads have listed, I mostly qualify for $30-$35k ones.

Ruth4Truth, I am willing to live outside of SF city or across the bay As long as it has easy access to the city and good public transit (that I can afford), I am open to it. I just don't want over an hour's commute. Thanks for the reassurance of Misfitbanana's advice. I will be sure to look into those cities and you're right; I can go to SF city on the weekends. I'll just make sure I live near good local public transit or near stores, restaurants, parks, etc. to make it a little easier.
I want to here the happy ending to this story! Send us a card after you get moved and settled in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland