U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 11:26 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,112,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Beautiful Updated Studio $3022 / 530ft² - [SIZE=2](SOMA / south beach)[/SIZE]
Charming Studio for Short Term Rent $2000 [SIZE=2](mission district) pic[/SIZE]
Very large remodeled studio in an Art Deco building, common roof deck $2700 / 750ft² - [SIZE=2](pacific heights) pic img map [/SIZE]
OPEN HOUSE SAT: Gorgeous Newly Updated Studio in Heart of Nob Hill! $2200
Large Patio, Hardwood Floors, Studio #119, NOW $2361 / 475ft² - [SIZE=2](lower pac hts)[/SIZE]
That's true but the BMR rents are negligible. SF is welfare heavy and low income single parents will do really well here. SF loves to punish hard working lower middle class with 100-200k income. You can make well above 35k by being a live in nanny in the mansions of pacific heights with zero expenses and 100% tax free income and still hang out in Marina wearing lululemons-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,160,658 times
Have you considered the Mid-Atlantic / South East? You can easily live on $35k in Virginia or North Carolina, and other than the humidity you'd feel right at home in Charlotte or Norfolk and you can get good apartments in the $500-800 range. A darn sight more hospitable than Chicago will be!

Old 05-18-2013, 01:05 AM

27,139 posts, read 29,530,248 times
OP you didn't mention your ethnic group. This would matter in Texas, depending on how you feel and what your are comfortable with. Even if the city is fairly liberal, 10 miles out you would find the stereotypes of flyover country in full force in much of the south east and texas. Not something noticeable if you are white, and Texas is about 50% mexican, so again if you fit into those ethnic groups, well it would feel very different than if I moved there.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:12 AM

17,878 posts, read 17,716,836 times
I don't think this is any different than other cities, mostly stereotypes. My family members living there are Korean and my friends are Indians. You don't have to live in the heart of these cities if you aren't White or Mexican.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I don't think this is any different than other cities, mostly stereotypes. My family members living there are Korean and my friends are Indians. You don't have to live in the heart of these cities if you aren't White or Mexican.
Here in the Bay Area there are lots of Koreans, Mexicans and so on so it is pretty easy to find other ones if you so choose. Much of the US is very segregated and lacking in diversity. You can easily feel out of place, not be able to form an "ethnic identity" and people will think you are weird if you don't mostly socialize with your ethnic group. Most Americas do t lived in mixed neighborhoods or have mixed social circles. Especially outside of the coasts and major cities.

Your Korean and Indian friends probably don't mention the subtle or not so subtle racism they have experienced. Honestly everyone I know who is Asian ( east or south) or middle eastern and has lived in one of those places where there are only 1-2 other similar families have had the same experiences of feeling like an "other" and out of place. Especially in areas that are,outlets rural outside of the city limits. There are a lot more of the prejudiced people who have never experienced "other" people.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Here in the Bay Area there are lots of Koreans, Mexicans and so on so it is pretty easy to find other ones if you so choose. Much of the US is very segregated and lacking in diversity. You can easily feel out of place, not be able to form an "ethnic identity" and people will think you are weird if you don't mostly socialize with your ethnic group. Most Americas do t lived in mixed neighborhoods or have mixed social circles. Especially outside of the coasts and major cities.

Your Korean and Indian friends probably don't mention the subtle or not so subtle racism they have experienced. Honestly everyone I know who is Asian ( east or south) or middle eastern and has lived in one of those places where there are only 1-2 other similar families have had the same experiences of feeling like an "other" and out of place. Especially in areas that are,outlets rural outside of the city limits. There are a lot more of the prejudiced people who have never experienced "other" people.
I think your views toward Texas are just a bit warped from living in California and maybe the local media. My relatives and friends are no bull**** kind of people and I am especially close to them. One of them have lived numerous years in San Francisco and the other lived a couple years in Alameda. Two of my Indian friends moved out of Austin and moved to Marina District and Nob Hill here in SF. They love it here, but they miss the people in Texas. There are huge Korean markets, bigger than anything even in South Bay. There is also the largest Korean bath house I have seen in the US. All I'm saying is the cities I mentioned and the surrounding areas are quite racially mixed and accepting of other, no less than the Bay Area. If you are talking about cities 3 hours outside of town in the middle of nowhere than it is no different than even in California. The difference is the OP can live right in any of the cities I mentioned with her salary while in the Bay Area she will have to go an hour away from SF.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:23 AM

9,871 posts, read 6,567,475 times
Quote:
I think your views toward Texas are just a bit warped from living in California and maybe the local media. My relatives and friends are no bull**** kind of people and I am especially close to them. One of them have lived numerous years in San Francisco and the other lived a couple years in Alameda. Two of my Indian friends moved out of Austin and moved to Marina District and Nob Hill here in SF. They love it here, but they miss the people in Texas. There are huge Korean markets, bigger than anything even in South Bay. There is also the largest Korean bath house I have seen in the US. All I'm saying is the cities I mentioned and the surrounding areas are quite racially mixed and accepting of other, no less than the Bay Area. If you are talking about cities 3 hours outside of town in the middle of nowhere than it is no different than even in California. The difference is the OP can live right in any of the cities I mentioned with her salary while in the Bay Area she will have to go an hour away from SF.
I think if you stick to the metropolitan areas such as Houston, DFW, Austin, San Antonio, there is plenty of diversity. Houston has a pretty large Vietnamese community, for example. Now out in somewhere like Waco, it might be a bit different.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Your mileage may vary.

I keep hearing mixed stories about Austin. I hear stories like yours, but then I meet other people who tell me Austin is just like my impressions of Dallas. Met another one last night actually who echoed the same sentiments last night (inside Austin is fine, not to far out and you start getting the weird looks). One of my cousins lived their for several years as well, but felt out of place and moved back to her home town.

I have some relatives and college friends from Dallas, and they echoed the sentiment about things being very different not too far outside of the city (similar stories about ATL, Charlotte, Raleigh etc)

But then again, none of this could be on your radar or it could be more common for people over 30 vs under. I don't know. When I went to Austin I definitely didn't see many people who looked like me downtown and the like, not unlike in SF downtown.

Where the Bay Area differs, is that most places, even 30-60 miles outside of the city centers, are actually very diverse. Some even more so than the main cities.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 AM

I'd also chime in that having separate ethnic communities is very different than having well mixed communities. For example, there are lots of places in the South and the southeast that have lots of Vietnamese people, but they are not integrated into the broader society and stick to their own communities. For me having both is the definition of diversity for me. Having a large population of group X makes no difference if there is no mixing/socializing (and one of my beefs with Texas).

Old 05-18-2013, 11:51 AM

I think if you were to spend some time there, you wouldn't notice a difference from the Bay Area when it comes to integration of races. There are districts where its predominantly one race and districts that are mixed. This goes for most major cities in the US, including San Francisco. My point... the three cities I mentioned in Texas are just as opening to minorities as is San Francisco, San Jose, and Oakland. I go there often. I have friends and family there who are minorities. I personally haven't lived there, but I have spent 2 months straight in Dallas and 4 months straight in Houston. They have all the same amenities that can be found in San Francisco, actually a bit more, but the population is more than double, so it is understandable. I know the economy in Houston is booming, so I think that would be the best choice for the OP. There are lots of cool districts that you can explore on foot or bike and best of all... you don't need to make six figures to live in them! No city is perfect, so it's not like you'll never encounter an a**hole, but that is no different than the Bay Area. I've encountered lots of idiots here, but for the most part people will treat you the way you treat them if you are proactive about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland