U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 12:16 PM

226 posts, read 194,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
Great questions by countofmc, I have one and figured I might as well ask in the same thread. Do wine tours, such as bus tours, allow kids ? I'm traveling to SF July 14-20 with my Mom, Sister, Brother in Law, and my 13 year old Nephew. My Mom and sister want to go to Napa, and we are debating whether to take a tour, which I like because then I can sample wines without worrying about driving, or driving (and one of us has to not drink). IF 13 year olds are allowed on tours, we will probably do that. The one tour I love, stops at V. Sattui for a wine tasting and a picnic lunch.
Don't know about bus tours, but there is no shortage of Napa Valley family-friendly wineries:

Napa Valley Wineries That Are Family-Friendly

Enjoy your visit to Napa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 02:23 PM

675 posts, read 986,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifoso View Post
Don't know about bus tours, but there is no shortage of Napa Valley family-friendly wineries:

Napa Valley Wineries That Are Family-Friendly

Enjoy your visit to Napa!
Oh, I've been to Napa dozens of times :-), lived in Walnut Creek for 7 years. That's why I mentioned V. Sattui, which is my favorite winery.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:44 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,228,983 times
I really enjoy driving (or biking) around the hills of Napa the winter and spring months from about January to April when it's green from the winter rains. However it will be dry and brown for the next few months.

I would recommend Sonoma County over Napa for non-wine related pursuits. If you are a foodie you will be in heaven in both counties regardless of alcohol consumption.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:47 PM

27,139 posts, read 29,543,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
Great questions by countofmc, I have one and figured I might as well ask in the same thread. Do wine tours, such as bus tours, allow kids ? I'm traveling to SF July 14-20 with my Mom, Sister, Brother in Law, and my 13 year old Nephew. My Mom and sister want to go to Napa, and we are debating whether to take a tour, which I like because then I can sample wines without worrying about driving, or driving (and one of us has to not drink). IF 13 year olds are allowed on tours, we will probably do that. The one tour I love, stops at V. Sattui for a wine tasting and a picnic lunch.
The 13 year old might like the Wine Train. It is fun in a touristy way. Basically you get on the train, tour the regions and get food and drink.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:11 PM

3,679 posts, read 13,134,187 times
If you're not interested in wine, there is no reason to visiti the Napa area. It's a very scenic rural agricultural area, albeit pricey, but there are many other scenic rural agricultural areas in the state. If you want to see how something is made, visit .:: Marin French Cheese ::. in Marin county.

For other things to see, visit Pt. Reyes National Seashore or drive down Hwy 1 between San Francisco and Monterey/Carmel or visit Big basin Redwood state park.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:38 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,763,581 times
You got a lot of good ideas already - I don't want to mimic them. But one place I enjoyed as much as Yosemite was Lassen Volcanic National Park. It's about the same drive-time from the Bay Area as Yosemite (except you drive north instead); it's just as awe-inspiring.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:17 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,112,917 times
Absolutely worth visitng. The town of Napa is not great but a drive through Napa valley towns like Yountville, St. helena, Calistoga is absolutely stunning in natural scenery. There are also many amazing restaurants in these small towns and food in Napa tastes so good. A trip to Napa valley never disappoints whether you drink wine or not-

Old 05-18-2013, 12:13 AM

104 posts, read 413,917 times
Sonoma Valley is also a beautiful place to visit even if you don't drink wine. I love staying at different bed and breakfasts and the host or hostess can recommend activities or places to visit. If you are into early morning thrills there are hot air balloon rides in Napa and maybe Sonoma.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:00 AM

117 posts, read 138,837 times
i go there mostly for the scenery...

Old 05-22-2013, 10:10 AM

80 posts, read 29,412 times
thecooler recommended Bodega Bay. I agree. We just visited there, and the drive along Hwy 1 is stunning. I recommend Spud Point Crab Co. across from a marina. The fresh crab sandwich is soooo good. Visit The Children's Bell Tower and the schoolhouse in Bodega where Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" was filmed.

Drive south to Petaluma and have dinner at Central Market. If you don't have a reservation, you can eat at the bar. The food is outstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland