Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
the native trees, if you knew anything about botony, need grass lands and open spaces to reproduce. The eucalyptus and the pines and cypress trees are invasive trees that dominate and crowd out the native trees. The oaks, buckeyes and other native trees do not stand a chance with faster growing weed trees. Remove the weed trees and the natives with help will come back, leave the invasive trees and they will continue to diminish. They stated that they plan on reintroducing native trees and will probably get them from Strawberry Botanical Gardens or the one up on by the golf course in Tilden park. Where the oaks and native trees are allowed to flourish, the native animal life does better.
Pines are native to this area too. The whole area doesn't belong to just the ones you mentioned. If you know anything about ecosystems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 08:52 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,489,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Careful with that. Just because YOU can't see any impact doesn't mean it isn't there.

Now as far as the Eucalyptus is concerned, this is one of those rare cases where it's presence is more benign than anything. Most of the time, introduced species wreak havoc like the kudzo curmudgeon mentioned.
Have you ever gone up into the Oakland hills and seen these Eucalyptus first hand. Nothing grows under them, they poison the soil beneath them and seed like crazy till they become the forest by choking out all the native plants and trees. Then when there is a freeze they die down to the ground and become standing fuel for another conflagration like the one in 1991. Why sit idle waiting for them to catch fire when they can be reduced to forego another major urban wild land fire. It was shear luck that the winds gave up that fateful October 19th. If they had not and the winds kept blowing from the north at 60 mph and higher, that fire could very well have gone all the way along the chain of Berkeley/Oakland hills till it ran out of steam. Many more thousands of homes would have perished, many more than the 25 that died would have also perished. Instead of costing 1.5 billon dollars, it could have been triple or more. It is irresponsible to allow these trees to stay when they can create so much calamity.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Have you ever gone up into the Oakland hills and seen these Eucalyptus first hand
*sigh* haven't read my previous posts I see. I have mentioned what I know about these trees and as anyone who knows me well will tell you, I don't play well with those who need things repeated to them.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:04 PM

167 posts, read 150,418 times
I will vouch for what Gentoo is saying about him not liking to repeat himself or find himself arguing with someone who is arguing in circles.

I add the second part as a bit of an aside.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomThumb22 View Post
I will vouch for what Gentoo is saying about him not liking to repeat himself or find himself arguing with someone who is arguing in circles.

I add the second part as a bit of an aside.
I've actually said that before too

Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Note: Gentoo has previously stated that he doesn't like to find himself arguing with someone who is arguing in circles.

Does anyone know why the eucalyptus were planted in the hills in the first place?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:27 PM

I'm not sure, but as previously stated they are often used as windbreaks. And are nice big trees in and of themselves.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:29 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomThumb22 View Post
I'm not sure, but as previously stated they are often used as windbreaks. And are nice big trees in and of themselves.
They're beautiful. And fragrant!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They're beautiful. And fragrant!
And kids can swing like Tarzan off their long vines. That's fun, haha.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Note: Gentoo has previously stated that he doesn't like to find himself arguing with someone who is arguing in circles.

Does anyone know why the eucalyptus were planted in the hills in the first place?
They were originally brought over for use as railroad ties. The wood wasn't strong enough and they cracked when the trains went over them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland