Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:40 PM

5,959 posts, read 13,076,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Kudzu is eating up the Everglades.

How do they keep it under control in Japan? Maybe it doesn't grow as fast, because Japan is a much colder environment than the US South?
There's the kudzu bug that eats it in Asia. Which was also brought here to control the spread of kudzu which is apparently working, however its now becoming an agricultural pest on soybeans.

Megacopta cribraria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 01:17 PM

211 posts, read 332,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
This is patently untrue. Air attack bosses do not differentiate between species in locating their drops. They do locate their drops according to how effective the drop will be in order to allow ground resources to get in and support the drop.
I am guessing that you haven't much experience in fighting euc forest fires. The red on the bottom of the plane should not be scorch marks.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:19 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,867,329 times
Quote:
There's the kudzu bug that eats it in Asia. Which was also brought here to control the spread of kudzu which is apparently working, however its now becoming an agricultural pest on soybeans.
I know an old lady who swallowed a fly,
I don't know why she swallowed the fly,
I guess she'll die.
I know an old lady who swallowed a spider,
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly,
I guess she'll die.
I know an old lady who swallowed a bird,
How absurd to swallow a bird!
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her,
I guess she'll die.
I know an old lady who swallowed a cat,
Imagine that, to swallow a cat!
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,
I guess she'll die.
I know an old lady who swallowed a dog,
My, what a hog, to swallow a dog!
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,
I guess she'll die. I know an old lady who swallowed a goat,
Just opened her throat and swallowed a goat!
She swallowed the goat to catch the dog,
I guess she'll die.
I know an old lady who swallowed a cow,
I wonder how she swallowed a cow?!
She swallowed the cow to catch the goat,
She swallowed the goat to catch the dog,
I guess she'll die.
I know an old lady who swallowed a horse,
She's dead, of course!!

Old 05-21-2013, 01:31 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,325,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Kudzu is eating up the Everglades.

How do they keep it under control in Japan? Maybe it doesn't grow as fast, because Japan is a much colder environment than the US South?
Huh???

Old 05-21-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

Megacopta cribraria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Introducing another organism to control another. haven't we learned the FAIL that becomes from Hawaii's experience?

Old 05-21-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
All this is very good. Sorry the last one was just typical C-D garbage.

Uh oh, I think you just stepped out of your area of expertise. Just a couple of quotes:
"California shrubland, commonly known as chaparral, is a widespread plant community of low growing species, typically on arid sloping areas of the California Coast Ranges or western foothills of the Sierra Nevada. There are a number of common shrubs and tree shrub forms in this association, including salal, toyon, coffeeberry and Western poison oak.[16] Regeneration following a fire is usually a major factor in the association of these species."

"There are eight major different vegetation communities in Yosemite, all of which have a different fire regime and have adapted to fires that have occurred for at least the last several thousand years. Though many species rely on fire for their regeneration, the timing and severity of fires varies greatly depending on weather and topography. The goal to better understand fire regimes is part of our fire management program."

"Giant sequoias are a fire adapted species. Their bark is fire resistant and fire helps open the sequoia cone and scatter the tiny seeds. Fire also clears forest debris from the mineral soil and provides a nutrient rich seed bed as well as clearing competing species."

"Monterey pine (Pinus radiata) forests occur in five populations on the Monterey pine radiata) populations
west coast of North America. High severity fire has been reported to be the main disturbance High severity reported
agent that initiates seedling establishment for this species.
"

"Closed-cone pines
The Monterey Pine, along with the Bishop and Knobcone Pines, belong to an informal taxonomic category known as the "California closed-cone pines." In most species of pine, a set of cones matures annually, opening and dropping their seeds in the fall. With the closed-cone pines, however, many of the cones remain sealed with resin and attached to the branches. In the case of the Knobcone Pine, the cones can remain closed for decades. Monterey Pine cones may open after a few years, but remain on the tree.
Botanists call this closed-cone trait serotiny (sahr-ROT-in-ee). Most scientists believe that serotinous cones evolved as an adaptation to dry climates with occasional forest fires. The heat from fires sweeping through the crowns of the trees causes the resin seal to melt. In as little as a day after the fire, the cones open, at once releasing a seed supply saved up from multiple years. Although the burned mature trees usually die, many new trees soon sprout from the seeds, recolonizing the area more quickly than other tree species."

Old 05-21-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierravillian View Post
Uh oh, I think you just stepped out of your area of expertise. Just a couple of quotes:
"California shrubland, commonly known as chaparral, is a widespread plant community of low growing species, typically on arid sloping areas of the California Coast Ranges or western foothills of the Sierra Nevada. There are a number of common shrubs and tree shrub forms in this association, including salal, toyon, coffeeberry and Western poison oak.[16] Regeneration following a fire is usually a major factor in the association of these species."

"There are eight major different vegetation communities in Yosemite, all of which have a different fire regime and have adapted to fires that have occurred for at least the last several thousand years. Though many species rely on fire for their regeneration, the timing and severity of fires varies greatly depending on weather and topography. The goal to better understand fire regimes is part of our fire management program."

"Giant sequoias are a fire adapted species. Their bark is fire resistant and fire helps open the sequoia cone and scatter the tiny seeds. Fire also clears forest debris from the mineral soil and provides a nutrient rich seed bed as well as clearing competing species."

"Monterey pine (Pinus radiata) forests occur in five populations on the Monterey pine radiata) populations
west coast of North America. High severity fire has been reported to be the main disturbance High severity reported
agent that initiates seedling establishment for this species.
"

"Closed-cone pines
The Monterey Pine, along with the Bishop and Knobcone Pines, belong to an informal taxonomic category known as the "California closed-cone pines." In most species of pine, a set of cones matures annually, opening and dropping their seeds in the fall. With the closed-cone pines, however, many of the cones remain sealed with resin and attached to the branches. In the case of the Knobcone Pine, the cones can remain closed for decades. Monterey Pine cones may open after a few years, but remain on the tree.
Botanists call this closed-cone trait serotiny (sahr-ROT-in-ee). Most scientists believe that serotinous cones evolved as an adaptation to dry climates with occasional forest fires. The heat from fires sweeping through the crowns of the trees causes the resin seal to melt. In as little as a day after the fire, the cones open, at once releasing a seed supply saved up from multiple years. Although the burned mature trees usually die, many new trees soon sprout from the seeds, recolonizing the area more quickly than other tree species."
The part you quoted was my response to this:
Quote:
10. If you don't like roundup and its ilk, stop eating commercial produce
The attitude that prevails on here. the whole "Don't like this then don't do that" type of attitude. Not at all did I dispute anything you said. Did you even understand the words that I posted or are you taking a wild shot in the dark? I know what I was responding to and I get the feeling you do too.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
9. Many California natives are fire dependent, burning an area will often remove the invasives an allow the natives to regen.
Quote:
All this is very good. Sorry the last one was just typical C-D garbage. the stuff about the Monterey Pines is especially telling. Like I said, it's a close relative of the Bishop pine and the two species' ranges may have met in or near the Berkeley area in the past. You're not the first person I've heard say that
The last one you quoted is number 9, what I posted reflected that.

Regarding pesticide and herbicide in commercially grown produce, it is there.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:05 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,974,679 times
Wink Mother Nature weeps

If I were a tree I'd take a very dim view of humans.

Per this scheme, the U.S. Forest Service is elsewhere "thinning" our otherwise wild national forests and "managing" them into some semblance of safer suburban park. Such travesties have occurred as well in national parks, such as Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, where by mandate this park 95% officially designated wilderness is supposed to remain "untrammeled" by mankind. Good luck with that.

There is no doubt that many regions are experiencing an increased wildfire risk. Indeed the probability of more and larger mega-wildfires in future is near certainty. So in using FEMA's rationale they shouldn't stop with the East Bay, but to be safe extend such projects to most anywhere in the United States with a tree anywhere near a residence.

The thing is that all the more people have in the last several decades had the opportunity and moved into more remote areas formerly wild. If enjoying that, most only to the extent that they can soon make it largely suburban. Few of these pioneers would be willing to accept the concept of allowing their residence to burn if necessary—as in the woods. Rather, they conduct such government sponsored activities as clearing large firebreaks around their residences. Each a little island of soon not much natural habitat, then massively multiply it and there you go.

Not to mention that mankind has just passed the ignoble record of 400ppm (parts per million) of CO2 in the atmosphere. The most seen in several million years, or well before humans were ever around to muck it up. This is the near-irreversible milestone we have been warned of for decades, and were never supposed to reach save at our peril. But instead of any great awareness of this or panic, business-as-usual. If indeed mankind is only increasing the volume of greenhouse gases year on year. This factor alone is guaranteeing the susceptibility of all the more woodlands to wildfire.

Thus, take some care with our collective home with all other species and seek some natural balance in our affairs within this world? Fat chance.

And the trees? God pity them. They have some terrible neighbors.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:26 PM

102,128 posts, read 107,402,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Huh???
Did you read the post that said it grows faster in optimum conditions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland