U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 PM

5 posts, read 13,466 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to the Bay area and will be working in Redwood Shores.

I need help with which city would be the best to live in - Daly City, San Bruno or San Mateo.

Other than SF I am not too familiar with the peninsula.

At first I thought about moving to Inner or Outer Richmond or Sunset but then that might be a little too far for the commute to work. Since Richmond and Sunset are "out of the way" so-to-speak I would need to use my car to get around to other parts of the city. Of course I could go by bus but that would take a long time to get across the city.

I feel that living in either Daly City, San Bruno or San Mateo will allow for a closer commute to work and when I want to go into the city I can use either Bart or Caltrain.

What are the pluses and minuses of living in either Daly City, San Bruno or San Mateo?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 09:04 PM

12,587 posts, read 15,054,657 times
San Mateo has the best downtown and nightlife of the three and is closest to Redwood Shores.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:36 PM

17,927 posts, read 17,832,738 times
San Mateo is by far the nicest out of the cities you mentioned and it would be the best for your commute.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:51 PM

3,681 posts, read 13,162,817 times
Daly City and San Bruno are more foggy and windy than San Mateo and then there is the closeness to SFO airport and the jet noise. San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos, or Foster City would work. Both San Mateo and San Carlos have a walkable downtown with restaurants, bars, etc.

Caltrain is the commuter train between San Francisco and San Jose. From the San Carlos Caltrain station and the station at Hillsdale (San Mateo), they have free shuttles to Redwood Shores (EA, Oracle, etc.) Shuttles

Old 05-20-2013, 03:32 PM

297 posts, read 654,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Daly City and San Bruno are more foggy and windy than San Mateo and then there is the closeness to SFO airport and the jet noise. San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos, or Foster City would work. Both San Mateo and San Carlos have a walkable downtown with restaurants, bars, etc.

Caltrain is the commuter train between San Francisco and San Jose. From the San Carlos Caltrain station and the station at Hillsdale (San Mateo), they have free shuttles to Redwood Shores (EA, Oracle, etc.) Shuttles

I second all this and would add Burlingame as another town that would work, is on caltrain route and has a nice walkable downtown (it actually sort of has 2 downtowns), i would add Millbrae too, but its a bit more sedate of a downtown, but convenience to caltrain and bart is a real bonus. Note the shuttles from caltrain station to the offices run infrequently and are timed to go with the train coming from SF. I found it was quicker to walk from Belmont caltrain station to my office then to get off at the san carlos station and wait 10 minutes for the shuttle to move, and then it took 30 minutes to get to my office, it will depend where you're working whether that shuttle is convenient or not. also only 1 train per hour that stops at peninsula towns also stops at redwood shores, seems crazy to me given how many people work in the area.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:09 PM

104 posts, read 160,445 times
San Mateo would be my pick of the three, easily. The minuses are it will be more expensive than the other two and you will be slightly further from SF. The pluses are better weather, less fog, nicer overall setting, more going on, much better downtown, and shorter commute.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:57 AM

12,825 posts, read 20,138,510 times
Assuming you are looking at narrow range of housing costs, the parts of San Mateo that are comparable to DC and SB cost wise are more run down and have a less inviting vibe. The better parts of San Mateo will cost significantly more than the better parts of DC and SB. There are some really nice properties in Westlake, for example, that would cost a lot less than similar properties in SM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland