U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2013, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,139 posts, read 29,539,194 times
Reputation: 26599

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Racism is racism... a Black person hating Asians, a Asian person hating Hispanics, a White person hating Blacks... it's all the same. If you say it's only racism if it is a White person, than that is what I refer to as reverse racism and a hypocrite.
Are we taking about systemic racism or individuals. Systemic/institutional racism is something, at this moment, is something that can only happen from people in the power position. General hatred of people on race? That is equal opportunity. The earlier example was systemic and not individual.

For example, mortgage companies systemically charging higher interest rates to people of color, regardless of credit score. That is institutional. Or a store chain refusing to hire certain ethnicities in frontline jobs as a company policy is also institutional.

A store clerk discriminating against someone based on race or creed in a store is individual and different. It is racist but eliminate the person and you eliminate the problem.

Policy based racism is a different animal.




I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2013, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,139 posts, read 29,539,194 times
Reputation: 26599
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I've seen it on this forum too. I've read posts on here complaining about San Francisco's apparent "lack of diversity", saying that it's becoming a city primarily of Whites and Asians. First of all, that's a pretty insulting statement to make, as if Asians (who come from VERY diverse backgrounds in and of themselves) somehow don't count when it comes to measuring a place's diversity Second, can you imagine if the role were reversed and someone started complaining about someplace becoming a city primarily of Blacks?
SF isn't diverse in many ways. But for some people diversity and segregation are convoluted. A lot of times when people complain about diversity are more so noticing the class segregation. (That is very common in the Bay Area) and that gets convoluted in with race as well.

But the idea of Asians being lumped in with whites has a lot to do with model minority myth. That's a completely different topic in why Asians are considered "minorities"

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 04:42 PM
 
Location: US
17,879 posts, read 17,726,024 times
Reputation: 13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I've seen it on this forum too. I've read posts on here complaining about San Francisco's apparent "lack of diversity", saying that it's becoming a city primarily of Whites and Asians. First of all, that's a pretty insulting statement to make, as if Asians (who come from VERY diverse backgrounds in and of themselves) somehow don't count when it comes to measuring a place's diversity Second, can you imagine if the role were reversed and someone started complaining about someplace becoming a city primarily of Blacks?
Exactly!
I can't agree with you more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 04:43 PM
 
Location: US
17,879 posts, read 17,726,024 times
Reputation: 13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I think you are right. I have been on this forum long enough to have seen examples of this very thing you speak of. It's too bad. I can understand if someone feels more community living in an area with many of their
own race. Some people have relatives that are older living with them and would have an easier time integrating with their own race, language, etc. if there are more of their own kind around.
Only when someone says they don't want to live in an area full of xx race because ( enter derogatory trait) does it become a racist comment.
In truth there will always be people looking for any opportunity to pull out the race card. It's not just here
, I've seen it on many other forums too.
I completely agree with you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 PM
 
Location: US
17,879 posts, read 17,726,024 times
Reputation: 13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Are we taking about systemic racism or individuals. Systemic/institutional racism is something, at this moment, is something that can only happen from people in the power position. General hatred of people on race? That is equal opportunity. The earlier example was systemic and not individual.

For example, mortgage companies systemically charging higher interest rates to people of color, regardless of credit score. That is institutional. Or a store chain refusing to hire certain ethnicities in frontline jobs as a company policy is also institutional.

A store clerk discriminating against someone based on race or creed in a store is individual and different. It is racist but eliminate the person and you eliminate the problem.

Policy based racism is a different animal.




I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
I'm talking about the members on this forum who blast a White person for wanting to live in a White neighborhood, yet welcome a Black person wanting to live in a Black neighborhood. I'm also talking about how these same members say SF lacks diversity because it doesn't have a high Black population. I think they fail to realize that Black people aren't the definition of diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 04:59 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,422 posts, read 22,274,388 times
Reputation: 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
People do say things, but people treat it differently.

If a White person says, I want to live in a White area... the person will basically get blasted and called a racist, trust fund baby, they shouldn't move here etc.

If a Black persons says, I want to live in a Black area... the person will get all kinds of non-judgemental help.

^^^^
Reverse racism
Reverse racism is a stupid phrase not only for the reasons mentioned but those two words don't belong together. It sounds like you're racist against yourself. Or that we are making progress and reversing the effects of racism. Racism can only be, it can't go in reverse. Therefore racism, is racism.

As far as your other remarks; you do realize that blacks and whites have had very different motivations for saying those things right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 05:03 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 12,335,578 times
Reputation: 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Yes, racism is racism. The problem is... Whites are held to a much higher standard. You can even see it in threads here. Someone posted a thread saying I'm White and want to live in a White area and he was slammed, ohh the Bay Area isn't for you, we like diversity, don't come here etc. Soon after someone posted another thread, saying I'm Black and I want to live in a Black area and no one said, we like diversity, don't move here, etc. People condemned the White person who wanted to live in a White area, but welcomed the Black person who wanted to live in a Black area. Reverse racism.
If we're talking about the same black poster I recall myself saying those exact words you claimed no one said.

Regardless, go cry me a river... If the worst form of racism - "reverse" or not - you have to deal with is being told off by minority posters after effectively telling them that you don't want to see them in your neighborhood, you have next to nothing to complain about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 05:15 PM
 
Location: US
17,879 posts, read 17,726,024 times
Reputation: 13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Reverse racism is a stupid phrase not only for the reasons mentioned but those two words don't belong together. It sounds like you're racist against yourself. Or that we are making progress and reversing the effects of racism. Racism can only be, it can't go in reverse. Therefore racism, is racism.

As far as your other remarks; you do realize that blacks and whites have had very different motivations for saying those things right?
Racism has been typically viewed as the majority against the minority. Reverse racism simply means that racism can also be from the minority against the majority. It seems like common sense, yet many people don't seem to notice. The reserve means... a minority can still be a racist.

Since you assume that Whites and Blacks have different motivations for wanting to live within their same race explains to me why you find it so difficult to understand this concept of reverse racism lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 05:17 PM
 
Location: US
17,879 posts, read 17,726,024 times
Reputation: 13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
If we're talking about the same black poster I recall myself saying those exact words you claimed no one said.

Regardless, go cry me a river... If the worst form of racism - "reverse" or not - you have to deal with is being told off by minority posters after effectively telling them that you don't want to see them in your neighborhood, you have next to nothing to complain about.
I just don't appreciate hypocrites, that's all. Ask a skinny blonde 18 year old in heels to walk one mile in Compton and see if she experiences anything bad. My point is racism exists on both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 05:22 PM
 
Location: East Bay, CA
4,871 posts, read 6,263,254 times
Reputation: 4297
I think people are forgetting why a minority group would feel more comfortable around people from the same minority group. It's no different for Chinese people wanting to live in Chinatown, gay people wanting to live in the Castro, Hispanic people wanting to live in the Fruitvale, etc. These communities offer resources and support that would likely be denied elsewhere.It's NOT at all the same thing as a white person saying that they want to live where ONLY other whites live. White people are pretty much free to live wherever the hell they want, and they pretty much do anyway. I agree with 'reverse racism' being a BS term too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top