Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 03:08 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I had been looking into Raleigh. Why didn't you like it?
Raleigh itself is a perfectly nice city. Inside the beltline, there's a ton of really cool neighborhoods. The further you get from downtown, the more suburban and obnoxious it gets. Being a gay guy, there weren't a ton of options for places to go or hang out, but I guess if you're straight it's a nice place to be. In general though, no matter where you are in NC there's a very heavy undercurrent of racist, backwards thinking that is too much for me to swallow. I will always have a soft spot for NC since I was born there and spent so much time there, but culturally it's just happening for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 02:07 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Raleigh itself is a perfectly nice city. Inside the beltline, there's a ton of really cool neighborhoods. The further you get from downtown, the more suburban and obnoxious it gets. Being a gay guy, there weren't a ton of options for places to go or hang out, but I guess if you're straight it's a nice place to be. In general though, no matter where you are in NC there's a very heavy undercurrent of racist, backwards thinking that is too much for me to swallow. I will always have a soft spot for NC since I was born there and spent so much time there, but culturally it's just happening for me.
Raleigh and NC for that matters sucks...Hate to put it so bluntly...but it does. Nothing to do and very much a conservative married town that's definitely geared toward families. Yes there is still a lot of backward, racist thinking there. Also my hometown....but currently in the process of relocating out west.....Never coming back. Maybe to visit family and that's it.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:15 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,255 times
A lot of people move to Las Vegas, Phoenix, Austin, Dallas, and Denver.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:37 PM

42 posts, read 89,817 times
This is a great question! Most people I know who moved from California went to DC, because that's where they got better job opportunities. Even if you felt "priced out" of California, you would still need to security to be able to keep your job and salary when moving elsewhere if you were making a decision to flee California because of the cost. Which doesn't seem realistic in most situations. Most people leave because they either haven't found a job here or they find a better job elsewhere.

So I think when people say that they're moving out because they can't afford California, they're just making a lifestyle choice that they have mixed feelings about, so California itself is a convenient scapegoat to rationalize the decision.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:24 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A retired Homeowner can sell and move to a less expensive home and take their Prop 13 with them... so no reason to hang on when you can keep Prop 13.
That option is only available if the county you are moving to allows it. Not all counties do.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discover San Francisco View Post
More and More people are moving from the Bay Area to Reno, NV (No State Tax, Buying a house and Renting are less expensive)
Yes, but you have to live in Reno. That is not a very good exchange IMHO.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:36 PM

Many people are overlooking other areas in California that have a much cheaper COL and are nice decent places to live.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:36 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Seattle isn't that much cheaper than the Bay Area anymore. No point in moving there, except to escape state income tax, and state capital gains tax.

I'd move to Concord, if I had to. I've learned on this forum that it's cheaper, and although the weather would be hotter, at least I'd be in the Bay Area. I gotta be near the beach and redwoods! My days here in the high desert of northern NM are numbered. Once I get back to the Bay, nothing'll blast me out of there!
That's what I thought when I came back here from San Diego. Now I want to go to the PNW although I wanted to even while still in SD.

Anyway, I also think people from the Bay Area also end up in places like Phoenix and Las Vegas besides the cities mentioned. In fact IMHO I think Phoenix and Seattle probably have the highest number of Bay Areans outside of CA

Old 05-27-2013, 11:43 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Many people are overlooking other areas in California that have a much cheaper COL and are nice decent places to live.
And no jobs!

Old 05-28-2013, 12:02 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discover San Francisco View Post
More and More people are moving from the Bay Area to Reno, NV (No State Tax, Buying a house and Renting are less expensive)
I just got home from Reno, NV yesterday and I have to say that I'm not very impressed. Geography-wise, the area is beautiful, no doubt! But the city of Reno, especially the core, felt very depressed. It was daunting to see boarded-up hotels like Fitzgeralds, the Horseshoe Club and others. There seemed to be lots of manufacturing and warehouse-type industry everywhere, but that's not a viable career path for someone like me.

I guess since I'm from Southern California, I'm more acquainted with the glitz of Vegas and the nicely-dressed people and good restaurants that Vegas has. I was using Vegas (probably unfairly) to measure Reno.

Just underwhelmed by Reno, overall. Didn't much care for Carson City either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland