U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-01-2013, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,424 times
Default rent in contra costa,dog friendly, no breed restrictions

My boyfriend and I have been trying desperately to find an apartment or house to rent in the contra costa county area that will also accept a 52 lbs pit bull. All the ones I've found so far that call themselves "pet friendly" though have breed and/or weight restrictions that would make it impossible to bring our beloved pitty with us. I was hoping someone here might have some reccomendations. We don't want to live in the city and would like to stay somewhat close to walnut creek where we currently live.

Can anyone help us? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 AM

470 posts, read 390,208 times
Do you currently live in Walnut Creek with your dog ? I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment near downtown WC (On Cole Ave) that had a large patio, and he allowed me to have a dog, I had a 75lb German Shepard mix. If you live with the dog, why move ? I agree, finding a place that allows pets is a really tough situation, usually their restrictions are dogs 20 lbs or under.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:45 AM

473 posts, read 405,634 times
Finding a dog friendly apartment is hard, one that accepts any weight harder, and any that will accept a pit bull to be the hardest. Rental home would be your best bet.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:36 PM

24,437 posts, read 14,808,784 times
Don't get a pet, especially a big, restricted breed dog, unless you have your own place for it. Common sense really but people do this all the time. On purpose. Knowing what they know. Isn't that the definition of something not-so-smart?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 PM

5,246 posts, read 6,086,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleighp View Post
a 52 lbs pit bull
Well there's your problem right there. It's hard enough finding a landlord that will accept a cat or a chihuahua, Bay Area landlords are very anti-pet.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 AM

7,763 posts, read 8,930,707 times
The reason many landlords have breed restrictions is liability. As the property owner and having relatively speaking the deep pockets, they are exposed.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:59 PM

757 posts, read 1,094,149 times
It seems like I have seen so many posts where people who own a pit bull want a place to rent. By now it should be obvious that if you want to own a pitbull you probably have to assume you will have to be a homeowner. Some owners are angry at landlords, but more and more it's just a smart decision to not expose yourself to extra liability or you may not have a choice if you want insurance.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,236 times
Hi! My boyfriend and I just relocated to the East Bay. We just went through the same issues. Do not give up... Craigslist is a good place to start. Try to find a landlord over a property manager.

Be ready to write a lot of emails, make a lot of phone calls! You can make a doggy resume like we did. There are some online templates you can easily fill in and include pics. Make sure you are up to date on all vaccinations, license, have your dogs vet records, maybe even have your vet write an evaluation/letter of recommendation. Be honest, be flexible.

Be willing to get renters insurance- it is not expensive. Or pay a small pet fee, extra pet deposit. Let them know how much time your dog spends indoors vs. out. Let them know how much you walk and exercise your dog. It is not so much the breed believe it or not! They usually do not want a larger dog inside all day. You would be surprised how many people did not run from the fact we have a pit bull. They just want to know how she is going to be treated and under what conditions. Is she a family member or a yard/guard dog. How much exercise, how active- a puppy vs older, mature dog. Age makes a huge difference.

Questions you need to be ready to answer: Does your dog need a yard? Does your dog bark, cry, howl, chase, run away, get out? dig? scratch at doors? windows? get along with kids? cats? other dogs? Landlords and property managers are concerned with large dogs needing yards and space. So maybe look for housing near dog parks and places you can walk daily.

Use common sense when reading housing ads and making calls. If you want an apartment, stick to small complexes, duplexes, cottages, bungalows and places with adults only, no children. Its the other tenants you would have to worry about usually. Carpeted places and large dogs- usually also a no! So stick with hardwood or tiled housing. Hearing rejection after rejection sucks and can be discouraging.

If your dog is 100% housebroken and spayed/neuter makes a huge difference as well.

Home | BAD RAP has great resources on renting.

Good luck!!! Stay positive.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:22 PM

5,287 posts, read 2,783,746 times
Landlord rental insurance won't insure pitbulls. Even if you got a big insurance policy, the landlord would still be liable if someone got bit/hurt, for renting to you, then he wouldn't have insurance to cover it.

You may find someone to rent to you, but it will be really difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland