Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:49 AM

460 posts, read 981,438 times

Advertisements

The SF Giants ballpark transformed the South Beach neighborhood. I remember in 2009 the Rincon Hill and Millennium Towers going up and changing the skyline. Now we won't get the Transbay Terminal building for years to come. The muni metro extension through Chinatown is still many years away.

Compare that to other cities. NYC has multiple skyscrapers going up and more than just the One WTC. LA has a light rail line extending to Santa Monica as soon as 2014.

Why has San Francisco recently refused to change drastically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 12:01 PM

102,174 posts, read 107,718,448 times
I'm not sure what you mean. Was there a decision made to leave SF as it is? Or did expensive projects get postponed, due to the expense? South of Market has been undergoing change for awhile, and still has a ways to go. Also there's a project in process to build a tech center with housing for tech workers toward the south of town, we had two threads on that. Maybe there's more going on than you're aware of? I don't see any refusal to change.

Be careful what you hope for, too. You might get more than you can handle.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:36 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,613,234 times
I notice a good amount of construction going on right now. The Transbay Terminal is under construction, it may have gotten delayed but a lot of things did with the recession. The Muni extension to Chinatown actually started quite quickly after it was approved and even now I don't think they have for sure secured the federal funding portion of it.

These projects typically take years to complete as did pretty much every thing that went up in South Beach.

Sf is on a much smaller scale than LA and NYC too so I'm not sure why you would expect just as much activity to be going on as those two cities of all places.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:46 PM

102,174 posts, read 107,718,448 times
The ballpark and related changes really beautified that part of the city. I'm not sure change always works for the better, though.

What do you think of the Rincon Hill development? I'm told it's not really a functional neighborhood; no grocery stores and other amenities. I had the impression there were a lot of vacancies in the building, in part because of the lack of amenities. It seems it hasn't really taken off, yet.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:41 PM

460 posts, read 981,438 times
The next major skyscraper is part of the new Transbay Terminal and will open in 2017 or later. It only recently broke ground in March 2013.

Transbay Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-20-2013, 10:46 AM

592 posts, read 827,697 times
San Francisco put many of these projects on hold for several years when the economy tanked. Many cities did the same. Today San Francisco is trying to catch up and make up for lost time. In fact I read that San Francisco construction expenditures are almost the same as Los Angeles. Think about that- a city of 850,000 spending as much on building as a city of 3.8 million and 8X the size in area. SF is definitely going through a very visable building boom. Have you driven Northbound into downtown SF lately? The skyline is becoming huge for a city of 850,000! Look at all the construction by City Hall- not to mention what will be built between the financial district and Rincon- the Transbay Tower/Station. This isn't a small boom.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:17 AM

507 posts, read 916,410 times
Hopefully they can build enough 1000s of new residential units to take some pressure out of the valve.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:22 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,351 times
You want construction? Just check out the loud endless activity around 10th and Market. Buildings are going up like there is no tomorrow.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:47 PM

36,652 posts, read 67,455,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
The SF Giants ballpark transformed the South Beach neighborhood. I remember in 2009 the Rincon Hill and Millennium Towers going up and changing the skyline. Now we won't get the Transbay Terminal building for years to come. The muni metro extension through Chinatown is still many years away.

Compare that to other cities. NYC has multiple skyscrapers going up and more than just the One WTC. LA has a light rail line extending to Santa Monica as soon as 2014.

Why has San Francisco recently refused to change drastically?
are you kidding? SF is extremely active right now, cranes everywhere.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:00 PM

484 posts, read 821,689 times
And apparently we will get to vote on whether to put up an condo complex on the Embarcadero at Washington .... VOTE NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland