Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:43 AM

8 posts, read 41,022 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, what is the dating scene like for single Black women in the Bay area? Many people state that the Bay Area is very diverse, but does the diversity include Black women? I ask because I am strongly considering a job reassignment to San Francisco, but I'm worried about the dating scene, since the Bay area is predominately White and Asian.

I watched a few youtube clips which featured Black women who relocated to the area. These women were all highly educated, attractive and very ambitious, but they described the dating scene as virtually non existent for them.

I definitely want to find someone that I'm compatible with. Is the Bay Area a dead-end for women like me?

Old 06-06-2013, 10:18 AM

460 posts, read 981,693 times
Speaking as a Chinese man, a racial hierarchy exists in the Bay Area dating scene like any other area of this country. If you are expecting a super progressive area, you will be disappointed. However, everybody has different tastes so you will be fine.

Minority groups that are stigmatized (Chinese men, Indian men, African American women both descendants of slaves and those from Africa directly) will find some tolerance here but not quite post-racial yet.

You can easily google interracial dating data from the okcupid blog. I didn't find the info productive for me (people are racist!) and it corroborated what I already suspected about a hierarchy. I wish more people understood that race is socially constructed and culture is grounded in reality.

Last edited by AngusHsu; 06-06-2013 at 10:41 AM..

Old 06-06-2013, 11:35 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
The only thing I can honestly say in general to this question is, dating is always easier in any area if you're open to dating different races. If you are only interested in black men, well...remember us black men exercise our options more. However it varies here depending on where you are in the Bay Area and your perspective based on where you're from. I think overall black women may have it a bit easier in most places here when compared to black men. This is the opposite of how it was in San Diego. In my personal opinion, blacks of both genders seem to have it easiest in the Oakland and Berkeley area. Now I can't speak for all but when I've gone out to Walnut Creek and Concord, I get "the eye" more than I'm used to getting as well. But then again, I am open to any race really. I tend not to enjoy being the invisible man that I am in the south bay or peninsula and even in SF at times.

Again, how easy it is also depends on how easy you make it based on how open you are.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:44 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
A good number of white and mixed race men will date black women here.

Just an observation.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:59 PM

8 posts, read 41,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The only thing I can honestly say in general to this question is, dating is always easier in any area if you're open to dating different races. If you are only interested in black men, well...remember us black men exercise our options more. However it varies here depending on where you are in the Bay Area and your perspective based on where you're from. I think overall black women may have it a bit easier in most places here when compared to black men. This is the opposite of how it was in San Diego. In my personal opinion, blacks of both genders seem to have it easiest in the Oakland and Berkeley area. Now I can't speak for all but when I've gone out to Walnut Creek and Concord, I get "the eye" more than I'm used to getting as well. But then again, I am open to any race really. I tend not to enjoy being the invisible man that I am in the south bay or peninsula and even in SF at times.

Again, how easy it is also depends on how easy you make it based on how open you are.
I did not feel the need to initially post this, but I'll admit that although my family is African American, I can easily pass for multi-racial, given my light skin, hazel eyes and naturally straight long hair (which I usually dye blond). I am not open to dating non black men, I happen to prefer dark skinned men (especially those who resemble the younger version of Michael Jordan).

It shouldn't be too difficult to find a suitable match, given the fact that I am not dark in complexion, like the majority of the women who posted videos complaining about being single. My multi-racial appearance has always proven to be quite advantageous, so hopefully things won't be much different in the Bay area! Hopefully!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:13 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy_Chrissy View Post
I did not feel the need to initially post this, but I'll admit that although my family is African American, I can easily pass for multi-racial, given my light skin, hazel eyes and naturally straight long hair (which I usually dye blond). I am not open to dating non black men, I happen to prefer dark skinned men (especially those who resemble the younger version of Michael Jordan).

It shouldn't be too difficult to find a suitable match, given the fact that I am not dark in complexion, like the majority of the women who posted videos complaining about being single. My multi-racial appearance has always proven to be quite advantageous, so hopefully things won't be much different in the Bay area! Hopefully!
Guess you answered your own question.

Good luck

Old 06-06-2013, 01:35 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,415 times
There are plenty of black people in the Bay Area. I lived there 15 years and I am black. Where are you coming from? The West Coast does not have metro areas with 25-30% blacks, but California has always had a decent black population if you are living in LA, The Bay Area, Sacramento, San Diego, Stockton, and Bakersfield. Probably 600,000 blacks in the Bay Area. You'll do fine.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:42 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,958,911 times
Brotha's are always looking for a good cooking woman. You'll be ok.. I say date anyone who shows an interest in you and marry anyone who loves you.. I've never seen race mentioned on a tombstone.. Life is too short for racial issues..

Old 06-08-2013, 11:50 AM

622 posts, read 1,145,657 times
I'm a black female and unmistakably so. None of that "what are you?" stuff for me and I never have a problem dating here.

You'll meet men who think you're attractive. If you're friendly and open to meeting people, you'll be fine. I've had dates with men of all types, even Asian. My current boyfriend is white, and it's really a non-issue unless you come here with your own racial hang ups.

There are a definitely dark men here. Maybe not a ton in the city, but I've met black professionals. Just get into networking groups focused on bringing us together and there is always online dating, you'll meet them.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:03 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
Default Dating??

Around here, nobody "dates". They just hang out. But then this isn't The City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland