Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 04:25 PM

330 posts, read 749,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I partially agree. Money does not "buy" happiness. There are both happy and sad rich and poor people. There's no guarantee that if someone makes more that they are instantly less happy.

I'll be honest: I spent YEARS being bitter in the Bay Area. Bitter because I was envious of those around me who made higher incomes, bought houses, and so on. To me all of those people were merely spoiled rotten. Its easy to get that way and I'll admit that I haven't totally kicked that habit. I am still bitter in some ways over the obvious displays of extreme wealth because its very out in the open and prevalent here. If you're someone like me who came from a rather poor part of the country where a nice car was say- a new Ford Taurus and then come to a place like the Bay Area where you'll possibly see a couple of Ferraris on a weekly basis not to mention hordes and hordes of BMW's, Mercedes, and now Teslas its a big shock. Its like- where did all of that money come from?How is that possible? Then after awhile it fits the financial narrative of places like the Bay Area: Its an expensive place and a favorite location for the monied classes and hence why you see this seemingly overwhelming preponderance of wealth.
You know, this is a very interesting point. You are definitely right - the amount of wealth on display here is absolutely extreme. As someone living near Pac Heights, its constantly in my face and the sheer volume of it is hard to comprehend sometimes. How you handle seeing wealth like that regularly will probably have a big impact on your happiness living in the Bay Area. Seriously.

Here's the litmus test: Do you see someone in a $20M house and think "that filthy greedy pig!", or do you think "good for them, I hope to be successful like that someday"?

Because honestly, in San Francisco, for the common man, like just about everyone posting on this forum (including myself) - you are going to come face to face with several people making FAR more than you do on a daily basis. If you have feelings of resentment towards those people, this is not the place for you - because displays of riches are unavoidable here and you are just gonna end up bitter all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 04:39 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
...and I'm pretty sure that you'll find displays of wealth in every single nice neighborhood in every single state (and in most countries, too). Wealth is not something that only happens in the Bay Area.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:46 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Thank you for this post. Easily one of the best posts I have read in this forum.
Second that (can't rep dal).

Old 06-18-2013, 04:46 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
Quote:
Here's the litmus test: Do you see someone in a $20M house and think "that filthy greedy pig!", or do you think "good for them, I hope to be successful like that someday"?
I'd say many people would have a fairly guttural reaction to seeing something like that. For example the East Bay neighborhood I live in has a nicer part of town and there's one section where the houses are simply ENORMOUS, as in 2 and 3 story, 7,000-8,000 Sq foot monsters. All cream of the crop Victorian era homes. Parked out front is the obligatory Bimmer, Luxury SUV, or some sort of sports car. My usual reaction is a bit of awe. Like I said, I do fairly well, but the house I bought is a typical middle class house anywhere else in the country and it was like half a million dollars. So when I see something like this it usually flashes through my head: Crap. They must make a TON of money! How can they afford that!" I think its basic human instinct to covet what you don't have. Even those of us who makes claims we don't.

But you know what's interesting? I happen to have a number of friends who are literally millionaires many times over. What's interesting is that these guys seriously drive around in older Honda Accords and very pedestrian cars and own outright ordinary houses. I have a lot of respect for someone like that where even though they have been successful choose to be successful in other ways that doesn't depend on buying a whole lot of fancy stuff.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:18 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post

I say, "Damn, I'm glad I don't have to pay for the upkeep on that thing."
Especially for the army of workers necessary to do so.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 PM

15 posts, read 20,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
...and I'm pretty sure that you'll find displays of wealth in every single nice neighborhood in every single state (and in most countries, too). Wealth is not something that only happens in the Bay Area.
It sounds to me as though you may have grown up in the bay area and regard this as normal. To those of us coming from most other parts of the world the incredible degree of wealth in the bay area and the degree to which it is flaunted is shocking. Most metropolitan areas have nothing that is equivalent to Pac Heights or Marin. It took me several years to get used to it after having spent most of my life in the south and the northwest. In my daily commute, it is quite typical to look around and see several luxury cars around me. Where I grew up, seeing a Mercedes pass by was cause for someone to turn their head and say "Damn! Mercedes!", and wonder who might be driving in it. In most cities there are a very small number of very fine restaurants, typically places where the well to do might go for an anniversary. Here, there are streets lined with restaurants that most of the nation's populace has no chance of affording to eat at once. Many of the people eating at them are twenty year olds who just stopped in casually on a Tuesday because they were bored. The sheer number of rich people here is overwhelming when you first arrive here. Most people I know who moved here from working class backgrounds have had the same reaction: "How can there be so many of them?, Where is all this money coming from?" The few wealthy people I know outside of the bay area are very aware that they are of a privileged class. The wealthy people I know in the bay area do not appear to have any understanding of their privilege, perhaps because many neighborhoods in SF are homogenously upper class.

Incidentally, I think this has led to a highly visible group of people who feel that the upper class San Francisco lifestyle has been a choice they made rather than just being the standard trappings of wealth. This comes across as very distasteful in most of the country and is probably the greatest reason that when right wing politicians want to lash working class southerners into a fervor, they often conjure images of San Francisco.

The poverty here is also astounding....

Old 06-18-2013, 10:43 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WF76 View Post
It sounds to me as though you may have grown up in the bay area and regard this as normal. To those of us coming from most other parts of the world the incredible degree of wealth in the bay area and the degree to which it is flaunted is shocking. Most metropolitan areas have nothing that is equivalent to Pac Heights or Marin. It took me several years to get used to it after having spent most of my life in the south and the northwest. In my daily commute, it is quite typical to look around and see several luxury cars around me. Where I grew up, seeing a Mercedes pass by was cause for someone to turn their head and say "Damn! Mercedes!", and wonder who might be driving in it.
Actually, I think the bling factor or ostentatious show of wealth is more pronounced in the Los Angeles/Orange County region than in the SF Bay Area.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:47 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:
It sounds to me as though you may have grown up in the bay area and regard this as normal. To those of us coming from most other parts of the world the incredible degree of wealth in the bay area and the degree to which it is flaunted is shocking. Most metropolitan areas have nothing that is equivalent to Pac Heights or Marin. It took me several years to get used to it after having spent most of my life in the south and the northwest. In my daily commute, it is quite typical to look around and see several luxury cars around me. Where I grew up, seeing a Mercedes pass by was cause for someone to turn their head and say "Damn! Mercedes!", and wonder who might be driving in it. In most cities there are a very small number of very fine restaurants, typically places where the well to do might go for an anniversary. Here, there are streets lined with restaurants that most of the nation's populace has no chance of affording to eat at once. Many of the people eating at them are twenty year olds who just stopped in casually on a Tuesday because they were bored. The sheer number of rich people here is overwhelming when you first arrive here. Most people I know who moved here from working class backgrounds have had the same reaction: "How can there be so many of them?, Where is all this money coming from?" The few wealthy people I know outside of the bay area are very aware that they are of a privileged class. The wealthy people I know in the bay area do not appear to have any understanding of their privilege, perhaps because many neighborhoods in SF are homogenously upper class.

Incidentally, I think this has led to a highly visible group of people who feel that the upper class San Francisco lifestyle has been a choice they made rather than just being the standard trappings of wealth. This comes across as very distasteful in most of the country and is probably the greatest reason that when right wing politicians want to lash working class southerners into a fervor, they often conjure images of San Francisco.

Agree 100%! The falunting of wealth and snobbery is obscene here and so is the miserable living condition of the middle class. People define here by what they eat, how expensive their house is, the type of car they drive...

Old 06-18-2013, 10:49 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:

Please explain how someone from the South who sees me eating my dinner in a restaurant on a Tuesday as distasteful is a failing of San Francisco.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:49 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Actually, I think the bling factor or ostentatious show of wealth is more pronounced in the Los Angeles/Orange County region than in the SF Bay Area.
Wrong! LA has huge working class and is still the kind of city where a penniless immigrant can come and live the American dream. SF is the disneyland for the rich!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland