Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 01:08 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,177,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
i don't understand people who complain about other people showing off their wealth. i don't care about social status or driving a fancy car.
Well -- I live in a poorer neighborhood and a lot of the people here drive "fancy cars". So much so, that I sort of now consider anyone who drives one poor. Sort of like Coach bags or Louis Vuitton anything.... they are so prevalent in my neighborhood as status items, that to me they have become the hallmark sign of poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,914,835 times
Is anyone really happy?

Old 07-17-2013, 11:06 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,428,344 times
Yes I am really happy here. But I am sorry for those who are not happy in Bay Area, I guess mostly are unhappy financially. And that's life.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,433 times
- I don't necessarily think that there's a lack of empathy from tech folk.

If you mean tech workers, no, the problem is with anyone that works primarily with machines and not with people. Software developers, for example, work with computers all day, all year, and end up treating people as if they were machines as well. It's what they know. Or a sales person for example, works with people all day, every day, can't deal with managing their phone/computers privacy settings. The people person will be able to at least appear more empathic. I would say lack of empathy is not job specific, just that certain jobs sorta train people to act a certain way.

- Along with pros of tech capital there is the con of underlined lack of empathy, community and connection that can be felt with everyone so tech obsessed.

Like coffee shops, everyone is staring at a laptop or the phone-of-the-month. It's kinda funny. All these people going to a public place to do exactly what they do at home alone. Or anywhere, people bringing their phones with them when they are out with others. It's like, hey, are you here with me, or with whoever you're on the phone with? Retarded.

- This work to live mentality is an American trait... Not specific to this industry.

More specifically its a maker/taker classes, division of labor, class/caste system that we use in the America's. Working in itself is something that everyone can find pleasure in and is good. But it's been extended to to mean work work work work die, while some get the production.

Also, the Bay Area is kinda new. First, the natives were minding their own stable buisiness. Then Europeans came Hoping for God. Hoping for Freedom. Hoping for Wealth. The first major wave of immigration in 1849 was Hoping for Gold, the gold rush. Then WWII, Hoping for a job/land. And allways waves of the Hoping to get rich came. Anglos/Euros from the east, Latins/Euros and natives from the south, Asians from the west and north, and say even Russians/Asians from the north. All Hoping. And now here were all are, Hoping for Change. Hope and Change. Spare some Change. Lol.

- the superb weather

Ok, people out of state should understand California weather and climate. This part of the Pacific is cold and dark, lots of vegetation. Not nice. Some good breaks for surfers. That's it. Bay Watch actually has crappy water, but you don't see that from a screen. The Bay? You will only ever see it from afar, like from one of bridges. Good luck actually getting close to it. And if you do, its actually treated waste water and marsh, so unless you like watching birds, big deal. And the weather is basically 1. clear skys, sun sun sun regardless of the tempurature, or gray sky's. So the sky is usually either all blue or all grey. Not a huge deal it itself but my point is we don't really have winter here in california, and its ok at first for all you out of staters, but... get ready for some hippy... men follow a daily solar cycle. women follow a 28 day lunar cycle. We ALL follow a yearly cycle, that naturally includes an on and off, summer and winter. No winter here. No rest, everyone is go go go go... Wait, you're tired? Need some Coffee? Not enough? How bout some meth?

-the charm of the Bay Area is almost entirely aesthetic and sensual. visual, packaging, image, attitude, swagger. not substance.

Yes. This. Image, attitude, swagger, appearance. Not substance, integrity, abilty. It's how our economic and social systems are rigged. All companies care about is making the sale. What happens afterwards, who cares! They got paid, f the consumer. It's why most of the "durable" goods I've purchaced these last two years have all broken. Bradford and White water heater. Milguard Windows. GMC Bike. Magic Chef washing machine. Polk Speakers. Pioneer AV Receiver. Gigabyte Motherboard. Ford Focus. DirtDevel Vacume. Comcast. ATT. Credit Card lies and deception. Best Buy. Western Dental. In ALL cases I end up paying for **** that breaks or really bad anger inducing customer dis-service. The price you see is rarely the price you pay. And warranties? HAH. Such a joke, they outsource it to some nameless third party and its up to you to fix the brand new thing you just spent your wage on. And bull**** Health Insurance aka Price Fixing... Why don't Hospitals display their prices like EVERY OTHER BUISINESS DOES. No wonder health care costs just get higher and higher. The poor bastard with the broken arm wants his arm fixed, the buisiness aka hospital knows this and get's them to sign a document written in lawyer, and now they are bound to pay some myster price which they are told after the fact. This "service" is itself bad for your health.

- People define here by what they eat, how expensive their house is, the type of car they drive...

You forgot clothes. I call it uniforms. Most exact would be costume. It amazes me the range of reactions I get when I wear cholo pants and a hoodie, vrs 3 button polo shirt and jeans, vrs suit, vrs boardshorts and sandals. It's like I appear to be four different types, all because retards look at the image, the packaging, and not the substance. Don't even bother talking to that guy! He looks scary.

Last edited by reretartar; 07-18-2013 at 07:12 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 01:12 AM

107 posts, read 116,287 times
I've noticed the happiest people I know are in (very well matched) relationships. I do not know any genuinely happy single people, including myself. I have amazing friends and we share happy times but feeling genuinely happy to my core no. Whereas my friends who are married (and these are very well paired couples) appear genuinely happy to their absolute core. (I know I said "appear" - who knows?)

Old 12-08-2013, 02:25 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,803,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki H View Post
I've noticed the happiest people I know are in (very well matched) relationships. I do not know any genuinely happy single people, including myself. I have amazing friends and we share happy times but feeling genuinely happy to my core no. Whereas my friends who are married (and these are very well paired couples) appear genuinely happy to their absolute core. (I know I said "appear" - who knows?)
Appearances can be deceiving.

What constitutes this "genuinely happy" designation, anyway?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:39 AM

102,126 posts, read 107,341,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
To be living in the bay area? It just seems like there are so many negative post.. Sure Calif. is a high priced location and it may be difficult to find employment but there have to be some positives. I guess it all basically comes down to a person's financial situation. If money were not an issue ( bills can be paid) what are some of the positives of NorCal?
Gorgeous views of the Bay, world-class and very diverse entertainment, beautiful scenery in general and nice, tree-lined neighborhoods, strong intellectual atmosphere due to the presence of top universities, beaches, redwoods, nature in general, great restaurants and plenty of them, ideal weather, I could go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland