U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 02:10 PM

675 posts, read 1,136,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
It's true, sandwiches in the Bay Area kinda suck...here and there you can find some good ones but they're usually something frou-frou or California style, not a good true Philly- or NYC-style deli sandwich. I just ended up getting my own stuff at the deli and making my own at home. Market Hall in North Oakland is really good for deli meats.
I went to a pretty good Jewish Deli in Berkeley, Saul's Deli on Shattuck.

Saul's Restaurant & Delicatessen 510 848-3354 Berkeley, CA 94709
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 02:15 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,490,874 times
Probably the thing that I miss the most is the subway since I really don't care for driving at all. Also, an urban enthusiast, I miss the fact that you really do have an endless urban landscape to explore in the immediate area. Between NYC itself and the northern Jersey cities (Hoboken, Weehawken, Jersey City), the NYC area is paradise for those who love exploring urban areas. Not to mention Philly, Boston, and DC are all just a short bus or train ride away. In the Bay Area, it's really just SF proper and not much else if you want true city life...ie NOT having to drive to everything, walking everywhere, etc.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:15 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,589,058 times
This has to be about the 1,000th post about NYer's complaining about bagels. This is SF. Its not NYC.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:54 PM

622 posts, read 1,103,745 times
I hate to kick the question back to you, but you should get something from San Francisco that your NYC friends would be interested in. For example, if you know someone who is into art maybe some souvenirs from the Asian Art Museum or Legion of Honor would be appropriate. If they're sports fans maybe some Giants, Raiders or Oakland A's stuff would be more appropriate.

Of course, there is always the tourist stuff that you'll find in tourist areas like Fisherman's Wharf.

As for what I miss about NYC, it's practical stuff like transit. I really love how easy and inexpensive it is to get around NYC. I was just there for 3 weeks and it was lovely to be back. I was staying near Columbia University but went out to the very end of the 7 line in Flushing. That trip cost me whatever. I had an unlimited pass for the week, but it would have been $2.50. That's awesome. No city I've been to (and I've been to a lot) beats NYC on that.

I also miss the quality museums. San Francisco's museums really just don't compare.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 AM

3 posts, read 5,522 times
Thank you so much everyone!! They're all great!! We will make sure to go another round of visit to museum and get bagels/pizza/deli sandwiches before we leave..

Someone recommended Zabar's or Eataly's items, thought that was interesting.

rkwalton - sorry it wasn't clear, I just wanted to ask what "our bucket list in NYC" should be, before we leave NYC. We are extremely excited to experience those SF stuff!!!

If you have, any advice/tips would be appreciated. (I know there are zillions of posts)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland