Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
No!

Think again! No need soon to have pizzza delivered ... you can just print one!

NASA awards $125,000 grant to develop 3-D pizza printer
http://boingboing.net/2013/05/22/ope...3d-printe.html
We just got one out here:

Quote:
The Sunnyvale Public Library is the first in the Bay Area to get one and starting in June you'll be able to see your designs come to life using plastic filament.
3D Printing Comes to Sunnyvale Library | NBC Bay Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 06:23 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
People do it in NY, and their minimum wage is like 35% lower than SF, and the housing in many areas is way more.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
I'll take a double-cheese, mushroom, pepperoni -- hold the anchovies, please ...

Old 06-13-2013, 10:26 AM

330 posts, read 749,701 times
Quote:
After, on another SF thread, I glibly offered pizza for people seeking employment, just for fun a poster made a wisecrack that no one working in a pizza shop, or delivering, could afford to live within 100 miles of SF anymore. To which I responded that somebody's obviously figured out how because Googling Pizza Delivery San Francisco brings up over 2 million hits ... and YELP has 297 listings.

That history stated above -- what do other readers think? Can you make a living in pizza in SF?
I find it odd that in the other thread you stated you knew of legal ways to live in nice San Francisco neighborhoods with no roommates for as low as $600 per month...without already having been here for years in a rent-controlled apartment. How this is possible you would not divulge.

Yet here you are asking if a pizza delivery man could afford living in San Francisco - which, clearly they could on $600 rent.

It seems you already know the answer to your own question.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:08 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
I find it odd that in the other thread you stated you knew of legal ways to live in nice San Francisco neighborhoods with no roommates for as low as $600 per month...without already having been here for years in a rent-controlled apartment. How this is possible you would not divulge.

Yet here you are asking if a pizza delivery man could afford living in San Francisco - which, clearly they could on $600 rent.

It seems you already know the answer to your own question.
Yes, I do. On several levels. One is that the question I pose here is a further (humorous) development of an exchange in another thread with Mayorhaggar -- which was dubbed "off-topic" so I created a topic in jest, but legitimate in its own right.

Two is that, obviously, and as Mayorhaggar has humorously acknowledged, people who live in SF can afford to work the pizza business at all levels -- else there wouldn't be pizza and delivery in the city.

Three, oh that how to live nice and cheap in SF? Well, thousands of people live as I suggest in California from Eureka to Sacramento to San Diego and many many many points between -- indeed by the tens of thousands across the nation. It is not a secret. And anyone with modest intelligence can figger it out for themselves, and do.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:31 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Hopefully the bubble will burst at some point. That may sound mean-spirited, but soon the working-class in the inner Bay Area will be living like Fritz Lang's "Metropolis", if they live there at all.
People are already moving over and gentrifying Oakland and other parts of the East Bay, which lets you know just how gentrified the city proper must be.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:57 PM

109 posts, read 300,059 times
Yes, they can do it. By working that and several other jobs. I have friends who work about 80 hours a week on multiple of these "delivery-esque" jobs. Doubtful a pizza delivery salary is enough to live on alone.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:10 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,871 times
Quote:
Yes, I do. On several levels. One is that the question I pose here is a further (humorous) development of an exchange in another thread with Mayorhaggar -- which was dubbed "off-topic" so I created a topic in jest, but legitimate in its own right.

Two is that, obviously, and as Mayorhaggar has humorously acknowledged, people who live in SF can afford to work the pizza business at all levels -- else there wouldn't be pizza and delivery in the city.

Three, oh that how to live nice and cheap in SF? Well, thousands of people live as I suggest in California from Eureka to Sacramento to San Diego and many many many points between -- indeed by the tens of thousands across the nation. It is not a secret. And anyone with modest intelligence can figger it out for themselves, and do.
I know multiple people who delivered pizzas, and they all lived with their parents. I'm sure there are also plenty of pizza delivery people who live on someone's couch, or rent space in a garage (I've had friends who have done both of those).

So yes, of course, you can live in SF making any amount of money. You can live in SF and be homeless. But if you want to have your own nice place in a nice neighborhood, probably not possible if you're making a very low wage.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:46 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Chinatown and areas of the Mission have areas where there's like 10 immigrant guys living in a small apartment, they just get bunk beds and sleep like 8 to a room. Those are the guys delivering your pizza and making your burritos.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:36 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Chinatown and areas of the Mission have areas where there's like 10 immigrant guys living in a small apartment, they just get bunk beds and sleep like 8 to a room. Those are the guys delivering your pizza and making your burritos.
^ Pretty much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland