Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:58 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
So then you understand why there could be a settlement?
i can't think of a settlement that will not allow other small market teams to move and make the owners of the A's and san jose happy.
if they allow the A's to move into sf territory they are setting a precedent that will allow other owners to move.
the seattle and tampa lawsuits were related to expansion teams not an existing team moving into anothers territory

Old 06-19-2013, 11:14 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I can't wait for SJ to show evidence that MLB breached some sort of legal agreement with the city when no such contract exists.

They should be suing Lew Wolff.
You're right, no such agreement exists between MLB and SJ. The contract is between the city and the team, but MLB is acting as a single entity which oversees all such decisions and thus closes the free market. This line of thinking serves only to prove that Major League Baseball is a monopoly, and the applicability of their anti-trust exemption is questionable as baseball finances have changed dramatically since 1922.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
i can't think of a settlement that will not allow other small market teams to move and make the owners of the A's and san jose happy.
if they allow the A's to move into sf territory they are setting a precedent that will allow other owners to move.
the seattle and tampa lawsuits were related to expansion teams not an existing team moving into anothers territory
Wrong, guy. There is no precedent to be set that hasn't been already. MLB handled the Washington Nationals moving from another TV market into Orioles territory, but the A's cannot even move within the same market. The league actually worked to negotiate that resolution, not let it linger and fester into a lawsuit.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:22 AM

337 posts, read 733,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This needs to get resolved one way or the other, so I don't see the lawsuit as a bad thing, even for the pro-Oakland side of the issue.
This is exactly how I feel. Oakland has had years to get its act together and come up with a site and plan. Wolff is completely uninterested in Oakland period.

My guess is that if this case doesn't get dismissed, it will be settled. MLB would force the Giants to accept a check from Wolff for the territorial rights. MLB doesn't want to be dragged through a long trial where their anti-trust exemption is being put at risk (while putting Selig on the stand and opening up its books.)

Old 06-19-2013, 12:13 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athleticsfan72737489 View Post
. MLB would force the Giants to accept a check from Wolff for the territorial rights. MLB doesn't want to be dragged through a long trial where their anti-trust exemption is being put at risk (while putting Selig on the stand and opening up its books.)
so what would stop oakland from suing in this scenario of mlb writing a check to the giants. if losing their anti trust status is such a risk a lawsuit from oakland would have the same risk (possibly more because oakland has a business relationship with mlb/athletics and san jose does not)?

Old 06-19-2013, 02:14 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
so what would stop oakland from suing in this scenario of mlb writing a check to the giants. if losing their anti trust status is such a risk a lawsuit from oakland would have the same risk (possibly more because oakland has a business relationship with mlb/athletics and san jose does not)?
Excellent point.

Furthermore if San Jose apparently views having a baseball team as some sort of human or civil right( which is exactly how their lawyer came across on TV) then Oakland can sue to protect its right to keep the team it has and the Giants can certainly sue to protect their territory.

See, there's room for lawsuits all around.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Beyond that, the inability of the city to compete for business and tax base is the principle being questioned here. You boil it down to San Jose politicians just wanting a team, because you hope that makes the effort look more trivial than it is, but there would not be a law firm working on contingency if that were the essence of this case.
...and look who's still not paying attention...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Furthermore if San Jose apparently views having a baseball team as some sort of human or civil right( which is exactly how their lawyer came across on TV).
Get real.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:52 PM

Hahaha...its not my fault your lawyer sounded like he was fighting to end slavery. #drama

Old 06-19-2013, 04:34 PM

You're out of relevant points, I see.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
You're out of relevant points, I see.
Oh I didnt realize this thread was the actual court case.

I guess I could echo the MLBs sentiment that this lawsuit has no legal basis and seeks to undermine their policies and rules, but I wont.

Furthermore, we are polar opposites with respect to our opinions here. There is nothing either of us can say that will change opinions.

On the other hand, nothing spells doom to a potential business partnership quicker than a preemptive lawsuit...so thanks San Jose!

lol

Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 PM

And there is no way in hell owners would ever vote to force the Giants to give up their territory, because these billionaires know full well that they might find themselves in the same boat some day.

Which is why this hasnt happened yet. The Giants have flat out stated that Santa Clara County is 40% of their fan base. Period.

So whose supposed to replace those fans and corporate sponsors? The East Bay? I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland