Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 07:45 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
who owes who the Clorox Field tickets? lol
If it actually happens, I will happily oblige:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 08:05 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
This is funny- Rhino in the same post says fans won't go to a bad ballpark, but that the fans in Oakland are hard-core supporters. That's two-faced double talk at its worst.

Every single baseball city has its hard-core fans; Oakland does too- just that there aren't enough of them and you can't run an MLB franchise on 10,000-15,000 on them.
That's pretty much the point of why the A's need a new stadium. The Giants were one foot out the door to Tamapa Bay because they were having trouble surviving here with a crappy stadium and low attendance.

Quote:
"When you get the Coliseum rocking, it's louder than any other place"? That's ridiculous. Not a single MLB player would agree with you. Acoustics and the Coliseum architecture alone make that an impossibility. Fenway, Yankee Stadium, Busch, anything with a roof, Coors, Citizens are all louder than Oakland.
How many games have you been to at the Coliseum? It's just as loud as AT&T with 10-15k less fans. When it's full it's is really loud.

Anibal Sanchez of the Tigers on playing a playoff game on Oakland:

"Detroit, they have very good fans. The fans really cheer for the team. They give you a loud ovation for everything," Sanchez said after the 2-0 loss. "But that, that is so loud."

It was loud enough that he said he couldn't hear his fielders, and it was going from the first pitch. It was a roar after two hits and a walk put the A's ahead three batters into Sanchez's outing and seemingly put Sanchez on the ropes."

"He never quieted the crowd, but he quieted Oakland's offense, giving the Tigers a fighting chance even after Seth Smith's solo homer in the fifth inning. "

Detroit's Anibal Sanchez pitched well in taking the loss in Game 3. | tigers.com: News

Just quiet down ready, you clearly have no clue what you're talking about here.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:16 AM

Tigers first base coach Tom Brookens on how loud the Coliseum was:

Oakland 2, Detroit 0: Athletics' home fans will be treated to Game 4 | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Old 06-27-2013, 08:26 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
So a Stanford instructor uses a ham-fisted baseball metaphor to describe a complex legal matter. It's an "awesome" article in that it says what you want to read. Dude not only contends that Reed should have handled it behind closed doors, despite explicitly stating that Selig continually refused to speak either in person or on the phone, but he suggests building a new stadium at the Coliseum site. ****ing seriously, what happened to your waterfront buzz? Stick to Howard Terminal and start actually moving forward.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:29 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,373 times
Compressing your data set to a single playoff game won't impress me. What about all those mid-week games where there are 6,000 people in the stands? The A's are 23rd in the league in attendance even with a good team.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:30 AM

I'm not sure what Oakland's plan(s) are. Knauss (whatever authority he has) is talking Howard Terminal. Quan is talking Coliseum City. People here are whining about Uptown. And everyone demands Wolff listen to this dissonance of BS.

Does anyone really believe Oakland has its act together on anything?

Old 06-27-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So true. It's definitely a trademark of the East Bay, we're hella loud.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
Compressing your data set to a single playoff game won't impress me. What about all those mid-week games where there are 6,000 people in the stands? The A's are 23rd in the league in attendance even with a good team.
I wasn't trying to impress you, just correcting your false statement that the Coliseum isn't loud and that no MLB player would agree it is. I've been to AT&T and it's not any louder than the Coliseum is with 20-25k fans. I've been to the new Yankee Stadium when they played the Red Sox, nothig particularly impressed me about their fans at all.
Also it was more than just ONE playoff game I provided examples of.

How many baseball games have you been to at the Coliseum?

Yes the A's have relatively low attendance which a good part is due to the Coliseum itself, that's been well established so I'm not sure what you're point is there.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:45 AM

What I said was no MLB player would agree that the Coliseum is louder than any other place.

I've probably been to 50 Coliseum games- really sucks how far away the field is from the stands.

Decibels is not a currency. Wolff and any other MLB owner would trade poor drum beating $15 ticket fans for the country club set anytime. That's why AT&T and Yankee Stadium are quieter than their predecessors. Saying the A's have great fans (but not enough of them) will not help keep the franchise in Oakland.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I wasn't trying to impress you, just correcting your false statement that the Coliseum isn't loud and that no MLB player would agree it is. I've been to AT&T and it's not any louder than the Coliseum is with 20-25k fans. I've been to the new Yankee Stadium when they played the Red Sox, nothig particularly impressed me about their fans at all.
Also it was more than just ONE playoff game I provided examples of.

How many baseball games have you been to at the Coliseum?

Yes the A's have relatively low attendance which a good part is due to the Coliseum itself, that's been well established so I'm not sure what you're point is there.
A new stadium would sell out and have the most raucous crowds perhaps in all of major league sports...lol

There's an online pledge site where fans can commit to season tickets at a new Oakland stadium and fans have already pledged $10 million.

Oakland Fan Pledge

Amazing what grassroots efforts can accomplish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland