Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 04:06 AM

4 posts, read 7,069 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a fairly safe neighborhood with a reasonable commute using public transportation to downtown (around 3rd and Market St). I'd prefer to be in the city of San Francisco. I'm going to have 2 roommates and we're looking for 3 bedroom houses to rent. Our budget will be < $4500 a month for rent ($1500 per person). 2 areas I've looked at so far are Inner Richmond and Inner Sunset, and the commute using MUNI seems to take around 30-40 minutes according to Google maps. I'm a little worried that this will be a little unbearable after awhile though. Is biking from these areas to downtown reasonable? Are there good streets to bike on?

Are there any other areas a little closer to downtown that are still fairly safe with good public transportation? A good, easy bike ride would be great too.

Last edited by gulprust; 07-08-2013 at 04:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 06:06 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
With that budget, I thought for sure that you guys could find something closer, and I'm shocked to see that there really is virtually nothing save for a handful of places.

Well, since you guys are fine with living in the western part of the city, why not look in places around the Daly City BART or Balboa BART (Daly City BART would be my choice)? BART ride is about 20 mins station to downtown station. Personally, I'd prefer to take the BART than Muni.

If you aren't using it already, Padmapper.com is a good place to see the rentals displayed on a map.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
With that budget, I thought for sure that you guys could find something closer, and I'm shocked to see that there really is virtually nothing save for a handful of places.

Well, since you guys are fine with living in the western part of the city, why not look in places around the Daly City BART or Balboa BART (Daly City BART would be my choice)? BART ride is about 20 mins station to downtown station. Personally, I'd prefer to take the BART than Muni.

If you aren't using it already, Padmapper.com is a good place to see the rentals displayed on a map.
I thought it would be better to live in the city of San Francisco itself rather than Daly City. I'm going to have a car also so it'd be nice to be a little closer to things within the city (I won't be driving to downtown for work though).

Are there any parts of town besides Richmond and Sunset that you'd recommend?

Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 PM

370 posts, read 863,077 times
For that budget you have alot of options. It depends on your priorities.

You could live in Noe Valley,Glen Park, Corona Heights, Duboce Triangle, West Portal, Castro, Cole Valley. You could easily bike from Noe and Duboce triangle to 3rd and market. Other parts may be a slightly more difficult to bike especially as you go up into hilly areas..

I assume you dont want the Mission which would be ideal for biking and public transit, but some people find it sketchy. Also Bart is preferable to Muni as its quicker and more reliable..

Quote:
Originally Posted by garsh0p View Post
I'm looking for a fairly safe neighborhood with a reasonable commute using public transportation to downtown (around 3rd and Market St). I'd prefer to be in the city of San Francisco. I'm going to have 2 roommates and we're looking for 3 bedroom houses to rent. Our budget will be < $4500 a month for rent ($1500 per person). 2 areas I've looked at so far are Inner Richmond and Inner Sunset, and the commute using MUNI seems to take around 30-40 minutes according to Google maps. I'm a little worried that this will be a little unbearable after awhile though. Is biking from these areas to downtown reasonable? Are there good streets to bike on?

Are there any other areas a little closer to downtown that are still fairly safe with good public transportation? A good, easy bike ride would be great too.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Well if you insist on a house then yeah the Richmond and Sunset Districts will be just about your only choices. For apartments you'd think you could find stuff closer. I'd check out Glen Park maybe.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Well if you insist on a house then yeah the Richmond and Sunset Districts will be just about your only choices. For apartments you'd think you could find stuff closer. I'd check out Glen Park maybe.
Oh, I guess my post was a little misleading. I don't mind either a house or an apartment; I've just seen to have had trouble finding 3 bedroom apartments in San Francisco.

I'll check out Glen Park, thanks!

Old 07-09-2013, 12:26 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garsh0p View Post
I thought it would be better to live in the city of San Francisco itself rather than Daly City. I'm going to have a car also so it'd be nice to be a little closer to things within the city (I won't be driving to downtown for work though).

Are there any parts of town besides Richmond and Sunset that you'd recommend?
Yes, it's definitely better to be in the city of SF in terms of lifestyle, I should have added that the Daly City BART is actually right next to SF, so it's possible to live in SF and walk to Daly City BART. That's just one option though.

Glen Park is nice, but I don't see any 3-bedroom within your price range there, ditto for the other areas mentioned by other posters.

Just a few blocks south of Glen Park is Monterey Heights, there is one 3-bedroom apt, maybe you guys can check it out. Charming 3 bed/1 bath house w/ laundry

On the whole, inventory for 3-bedroom within your price range is low. There are only a few outside of Richmond/Sunset. Competition is fierce this time of year so be prepared to pounce on a listing as soon as it appears on craigslist (don't wait!).

As far as neighborhood goes, it's probably easier to list the ones you should stay away from, there are only a handful: Tenderloin, south of 280, 6th St and Market, and not next to a housing project (housing project map). That's it. All other areas should be fine. Note that there are some nice family neighborhood south of 280 but it doesn't sound like that's what you guys want.

If you want some names, the neighborhoods that I'd suggest are:
Bernal Heights, Potrero Hill, Mission District (the nice part), SOMA (the nice part), Lower Nob Hill, Nob Hill, Mission Dolores, Castro, Noe Valley, Glen Park, Lone Mountain, Laurel, anywhere north of California St., most places north of Geary St., etc, etc.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:06 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
If you're really just priced out of SF (big apartments can definitely be a bit rare in SF) then I'd look into Oakland. Rockridge in Oakland is really nice and is 20 minutes from downtown SF on BART, so it's closer than a lot of areas in the Richmond and the Sunset. Yeah it's not the same as being in SF, but the SF market is pretty ridiculous now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland