Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:16 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

What a horrible accident. Beaches in Marin, SF and the East Bay report oil washing up in globs and clumps. Dead birds are washing ashore as well. The ecosystem of the Bay is already fragile.

Tragic.

abc7news.com: Oil spill takes hit on Bay Area wildlife
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 10:27 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Sadface

Old 11-08-2007, 11:07 PM

70 posts, read 375,152 times
Before the oil spill, was the Bay really clean? I just returned home from a 10 day trip to Marin County, but I never got a chance to find out these questions.

Do people fish the bay? Were the fish clean enough to eat? What kind of fish do they catch in the bay? What about shellfish, like Oysters, Crabs and Clams? Did people eat those form the bay before this oil spill?

I only got really close to the water briefly and it seemed extremely clear and clean. Whenever I drove over the Golden Gate my wife would comment on how Blue the water was, I couldn't look because of how narrow the lanes on the bridge are, and I was traveling fast with lots of cars around me. Is it really blue? Like the Caribbean or close to it? The East coast waters is nothing like that near the Middle Atlantic states where I am from.

Is the water always cold even in the summer and even in the shallows. My wife was theorizing that maybe in the shallow waters it would heat up, but I thought I heard otherwise that is always cold even in the shallow water. Who was correct?

Last edited by Hobart; 11-08-2007 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: Grammer

Old 11-08-2007, 11:13 PM

Well,
it was a body of water surrounded by millions of people, and with them comes commerce and the pollution associated with that.

As far as fishing...Ive never fished on the Bay but I know its done cause the Berkeley Pier always has folks with their fishing poles sitting on the dock waiting for a bite.

The problem with this spill from what I saw on the news is that it puts sea lions, birds and other animals at risk-even whales that are found just outside the Golden Gate are in a direct path of the spilled oil that now seems to be spreading out over the bay.

Just hope they clean it ASAP.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:15 AM

256 posts, read 1,403,458 times
baykeeper.org

sign up to be a volunteer when they start getting it together... I did and I don't volunteer for anything

Old 11-09-2007, 03:18 AM

358 posts, read 1,916,184 times
How often does this stuff happen?

If anyone is in a musical mood, Moon Over Marin by the Dead Kennedys:
YouTube - dead kennedys
A song about an oil spill in the Bay.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:41 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobart View Post
Before the oil spill, was the Bay really clean? I just returned home from a 10 day trip to Marin County, but I never got a chance to find out these questions.

Do people fish the bay? Were the fish clean enough to eat? What kind of fish do they catch in the bay? What about shellfish, like Oysters, Crabs and Clams? Did people eat those form the bay before this oil spill?

I only got really close to the water briefly and it seemed extremely clear and clean. Whenever I drove over the Golden Gate my wife would comment on how Blue the water was, I couldn't look because of how narrow the lanes on the bridge are, and I was traveling fast with lots of cars around me. Is it really blue? Like the Caribbean or close to it? The East coast waters is nothing like that near the Middle Atlantic states where I am from.

Is the water always cold even in the summer and even in the shallows. My wife was theorizing that maybe in the shallow waters it would heat up, but I thought I heard otherwise that is always cold even in the shallow water. Who was correct?
The Bay isn't as polluted as it once was but that isn't saying much. There's fairly high concentrations of mercury in the water/sediment as well as PCB's, DDT, and other nasty chemicals. The fish in some areas of the Bay are considered safe-ish to eat every once in awhile but in other areas like the Richmond harbor area (a super fund site) it's unsafe to eat any amount of fish. There are signs posted in most of the popular fishing areas that tell the public to limit their ingestion of fish and that pregnant women shouldn't eat any. Unfortunately, these signs often get torn down or graffitti covered. Personally, my desire to limit my mercury intake is enough to overwhelm my desire for cheap crab or other seafood. Add in all the other chemicals and it's a no-brainer, for me at least, not to eat anything caught in the Bay.

In answer to your question though, yes, people fish there and there's plenty of marine life: crabs, various shellfish, halibut, gobies, striped bass, sturgeon, sharks, perch, croakers, .... the list goes on and on.

The color of the Bay really depends on the sky and the tide. It can look anywhere from grey to green to blue all depending on cloud cover, time of day, and which way the tide is going.

As for temperature, your wife is correct. The Bay does warm up during late summer and especially in the shallow areas. Though what is "cold" and "warm" are relative.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthebay View Post
baykeeper.org

sign up to be a volunteer when they start getting it together... I did and I don't volunteer for anything
Awesome. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,231 times
which beaches were shutdown?

Old 05-04-2010, 06:08 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,332 times
Hopefully not beaches in santa cruz included in this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland