Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where to move?
San Jose 0 0%
Santa Cruz 1 5.56%
Walnut Creek 2 11.11%
Concord 0 0%
Berkeley 3 16.67%
Livermore 1 5.56%
Oakland 9 50.00%
Other (please list!) 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,509 times

Advertisements

...outside of SF itself. Me and a fellow coworker (we're both pilots) are looking for a new place to live. We've both been out here for a year now, but both moved from the East Coast and had no idea where to look and needed to find a place quick, so I made the mistake of moving to the central valley, which has been beyond boring on my weeks off. I honestly look forward to work because it gets me out of the area.

We're both in our mid twenties and single, so what we're mainly looking for is somewhere with a great nightlife and social scene. Being able to walk to bars/clubs and restaurants would be awesome. We work a week on week off schedule so I'd like to have something to do during that week off..I like to stay active as much as possible on my weeks off so access to biking/hiking trails would also be nice. Somewhere that's easy to meet people also is a big plus, as we're both not from the area, which I'm sure isn't that hard to do in most of the Bay Area.

Right now he's talking about somewhere close to downtown San Jose, but after reading some stuff on here I haven't really made up my mind on SJ yet. So here's a list of the places I'm looking into at this point (I've looked at housing in each area and we can afford each place), let me know if there's anywhere else I need to look at...

• San Jose (close to downtown)
• Walnut Creek - I've heard it has a nice downtown with decent nightlife.
• Concord
• Oakland - any safe areas?
• Berkeley
• Livermore - recommended by this girl I met.
• Santa Cruz
• Others

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 07:09 PM

23,533 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Walnut Creek or Rockridge (Oakland)

Old 07-18-2013, 07:34 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
SF is the main place for clubs in SF, but I dunno if you'd like them. I never really found any I liked other than the Cat Club back in the day, and some pretty good old school soul dance places that would operate now and then at a restaurant. So if you don't like the clubs in SF then it might not really be worth it to pay the high price of rent there.

As for being able to walk to nice bars and restaurants, downtown Walnut Creek would be fine for that. It's definitely very middle aged and middle class though.

Berkeley has a lot going on but caters to the 21 to 25 college crowd. Might not be your scene. Elmwood is a bit more grown up but rents are really expensive there.

North Oakland has Rockridge and the Temescal which are both really great neighborhoods, lots of nice bars and restaurants, both old school and new school. Piedmont Avenue has a ton of stuff too. The Grand Lake area north of Lake Merritt is nice, and is near downtown Oakland which has a lot of nice up and coming bars and restaurants.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Since you have been here for a year where do you usually like to go for fun on your weeks off? You aren't starting from scratch at least, you should have some ideas of the areas you like. Any of the places you mentioned will be within striking distance of much of your wants but "great nightlife and social scene" is subjective. Fortunately if you stay near BART you can always get to SF in 45 minutes or less if you aren't finding what you want right outside your front door. And honestly, most of us don't. From your list I'd say Berkeley or Walnut Creek have the most potential for getting places you might want to be.

I don't know much about SJ except that don't go there often even though I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life. An occasional concert or sporting event, maybe a festival or two. Downtown looks nicer now than it ever did.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:26 PM

You wouldn't want to go clubbing in SF, leave at 2AM when the club closes, then have to rely on BART or a taxi to get home in the East Bay. Driving would be inconvenient too. IF "clubbing" is really that important, and IF he really likes the SF club scene which isn't for everyone, then living in SF would be best. If neighborhood bars and restaurants are enough, then the urban East Bay would be fine.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:39 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post

Berkeley has a lot going on but caters to the 21 to 25 college crowd. Might not be your scene. Elmwood is a bit more grown up but rents are really expensive there.

North Oakland has Rockridge and the Temescal which are both really great neighborhoods, lots of nice bars and restaurants, both old school and new school. Piedmont Avenue has a ton of stuff too. The Grand Lake area north of Lake Merritt is nice, and is near downtown Oakland which has a lot of nice up and coming bars and restaurants.
They're pilots, they can afford it.

I voted for Berkeley, but south Berkeley and north Oakland run into each other, so consider it one area--Elmwoood/Rockridge & Temescal. The other alternative is north Berkeley, around Solano Avenue.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:17 PM

143 posts, read 296,182 times
Oakland is your absolute best option.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They're pilots, they can afford it.
Depends on the airline!

Old 07-22-2013, 05:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Oakland is your best bet. Lots of good bars with difference scenes. You can live in Temescal, Rockridge, Piedmont Ave, Uptown or Grand Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland