U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:36 PM

951 posts, read 1,275,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine City View Post
You obviously gave them the License plate, which they can look up and probably saw you were registered to a nice part of town and then they can match 2 and 2. Trust me, if some poor person in West Oakland gets car jacked they are not sending out the chopper.
wrong.
the opd respond agressively to crimes in progess.
an active car jacking vs waking up in the morning and finding you car gone
intuder in house vs coming home from work and finding your house broken into and tv gone

it's not race it putting limited recourses were you get the best result

Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 PM

15 posts, read 3,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
wrong.
the opd respond agressively to crimes in progess.
an active car jacking vs waking up in the morning and finding you car gone
intuder in house vs coming home from work and finding your house broken into and tv gone

it's not race it putting limited recourses were you get the best result
It's not wrong, I own property in West & North Oakland and have seen car jackings and called 9-11. Not only was I on Hold for 15 minutes, after I gave them the location and license plate of the car I saw, the cops showed up 20 minutes later took the report and were not very concerned. In fact they went to another call before following up that one.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:53 PM

14,205 posts, read 26,395,221 times
Quote:
You obviously gave them the License plate, which they can look up and probably saw you were registered to a nice part of town and then they can match 2 and 2. Trust me, if some poor person in West Oakland gets car jacked they are not sending out the chopper.
No... Dad had just bought the car that morning and was having the brakes checked at the Union 76 station on the corner...

I doubt they sent out the helicopter... could have just been bad timing on the carjackers part that the helicopter was in the air as things unfolded...

Dad has never had a cell phone... someone at the shop called 911 and reporting a car jacking in progress.

My parents live near Foothill Square... not exactly the wealthy area of the city.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
It's not wrong, I own property in West & North Oakland and have seen car jackings and called 9-11. Not only was I on Hold for 15 minutes, after I gave them the location and license plate of the car I saw, the cops showed up 20 minutes later took the report and were not very concerned. In fact they went to another call before following up that one.
I think 911 is a poor second choice for anyone with a cell...

It can take precious minutes for the Highway Patrol to answer, take the report, transfer, wait for OPD to answer, take the report a second time, etc...

Old 02-11-2013, 12:56 PM

15 posts, read 3,933 times
Foothill square is pretty nice I own property over there near Julius St.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Foothill square is pretty nice I own property over there near Julius St.
94605 falls below the median of Oakland home sale prices...

The most important thing is to have good neighbors and they always have

Old 02-27-2013, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I think 911 is a poor second choice for anyone with a cell...
Wait a sec, so are you saying that 911 is too slow? That if it's an emergency you should not call 911? If so they need to update all their messaging about what 911 is for.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanilee View Post
Wait a sec, so are you saying that 911 is too slow? That if it's an emergency you should not call 911? If so they need to update all their messaging about what 911 is for.
OPD recommends calling OPD directly and avoiding 911... especially with a cell because those are first routed to the Highway Patrol and then redirected.

Looks like the order would be Oakland PD Emergency either cell or land-line followed by 911 land-line and last 911 cell...

Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,795,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanilee View Post
It's not just 911, it's all emergency calls in Oakland. Oakland has lost over 1/4 of it's "man" resources since 2010. It takes an "in-determinant" time to get a response from them now days according to one of their own officers. Could be 5 min, could be 60 min.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
It's not just 911, it's all emergency calls in Oakland. Oakland has lost over 1/4 of it's "man" resources since 2010. It takes an "in-determinant" time to get a response from them now days according to one of their own officers. Could be 5 min, could be 60 min.
Some calls receive no physical response and the caller has the option to go online or OPD will send out a form for the caller to fill out and return.

In the middle of the night... someone unloaded a pick-up full of trash in front of a property I manage... the residents had arranged for Bulky Pickup with Waste Management... everything over 3 yards is billed as excess.

I took pictures and called the police and was told to go online and fill out a report...

Waste Management came, removed all the trash, even though I had left a sign saying it was illegal dumped and reported to OPD

About a month later, I get a bill for several hundred dollars for excess trash... thankfully, I had my police report and the charge was dropped...

We didn't put out the trash and it wasn't on the property I managed... it was on the street...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland