U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2010, 07:14 PM
rah

3,102 posts, read 5,233,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Wow, thats horrible. Hope your mom is ok. Seriously why does it take 5 guys to jump a single person (woman no less)? Not only are they criminal scum they are cowards.
Yeah she was okay, lost her backpack and got a giant bruise on her leg when they knocked her over (this was in 2006 or 2007. She was mid 50's when it happened, and the dudes were teenagers to early 20's). I mentioned it in another post awhile back, but my mom actually recognized two of the guys who jumped her a year or two later, after they followed a SF store owner to his home in Novato and executed him there, because he had witnessed them robbing his store earlier, and was cooperating with police. She saw their pics in the newspaper after that murder, and instantly recognized them. They were some cold people, and i'm glad all they did was knock her over and take her bag.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:27 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,746,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The world is coming to an end. A baydude post I actually agree with.
Lol I was just thinking the same thing! Its nice to see that once a topic is presented that we're all stand on the same side of, we don't have to be at each others' throats.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:29 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,746,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Yeah she was okay, lost her backpack and got a giant bruise on her leg when they knocked her over (this was in 2006 or 2007. She was mid 50's when it happened, and the dudes were teenagers to early 20's). I mentioned it in another post awhile back, but my mom actually recognized two of the guys who jumped her a year or two later, after they followed a SF store owner to his home in Novato and executed him there, because he had witnessed them robbing his store earlier, and was cooperating with police. She saw their pics in the newspaper after that murder, and instantly recognized them. They were some cold people, and i'm glad all they did was knock her over and take her bag.
That makes two of us. I'm glad to hear they caught those pricks!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:22 PM

941 posts, read 1,271,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The world is coming to an end. A baydude post I actually agree with.
I think we can all agree that criminals suck.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:09 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,250,520 times
Downtown Oakland at night can be a little intimidating at first, but that's mainly because the place empties out so much after the sun goes down. After a few times here, you realize there's not much to be afraid of; still keep your wits about you of course! It's always kind of weird taking BART from Powell station in busy/loud/crowded downtown SF, and then reemerging in downtown Oakland with hardly anybody around unless there's a show going on at the Fox or Paramount.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:14 AM

3,633 posts, read 2,810,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanripe10 View Post
Ok I am really confused here.

San Francisco comes off as this educated, progressive, clean, artsy european type city. Lots of money and lots of professionals it seems.

However.....right across the bay is Oakland. Oakland is ranked one of the most dangerous cities in the USA. Some people refer to it as a ghetto.

How is this possible!?!? It's suppost to be extremely expensive. Why in the world would anyone pay such a high price to live in a 'dangerous ghetto'???

I don't understand how Oakland can be as bad as people make it out to be

maybe it's possible because in most U.S. cities there used to be segregation and train tracks separated the upper-class neighborhoods from the poverty level class and most U.S. cities had train tracks that marked the separation but Oakland had a big gap called a bay in between instead...now I know SF has it's bad parts too but u feel me on my theory right?

Old 03-14-2010, 01:20 AM

390 posts, read 895,038 times
The Oakland hills are nice, pricey but nice. Amazing views.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:50 AM

12,922 posts, read 11,114,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Downtown Oakland at night can be a little intimidating at first, but that's mainly because the place empties out so much after the sun goes down. After a few times here, you realize there's not much to be afraid of; still keep your wits about you of course! It's always kind of weird taking BART from Powell station in busy/loud/crowded downtown SF, and then reemerging in downtown Oakland with hardly anybody around unless there's a show going on at the Fox or Paramount.
Yep, that's exactly how it is. I go from the Powell BART to 19th street, or on my recent trip to 12th street.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,914 times
Yeah, I happen to have lived (and still live) in the Crocker Highlands, one of the most expensive areas in Oakland, since I was born. Although I've never seen so much as a drive-by there, I have seen someone shot and killed in San Francisco one New Year's Eve. I admit, there are places I wouldn't go in Oakland, but the same can be said of SF.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:00 PM

2,352 posts, read 3,020,942 times
Oakland has a bad rap because people get shot in the streets and raped on a somewhat regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland