U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-09-2007, 04:59 PM

228 posts, read 975,642 times

Advertisements

Ok I am really confused here.

San Francisco comes off as this educated, progressive, clean, artsy european type city. Lots of money and lots of professionals it seems.

However.....right across the bay is Oakland. Oakland is ranked one of the most dangerous cities in the USA. Some people refer to it as a ghetto.

How is this possible!?!? It's suppost to be extremely expensive. Why in the world would anyone pay such a high price to live in a 'dangerous ghetto'???

I don't understand how Oakland can be as bad as people make it out to be

Old 11-09-2007, 05:16 PM

358 posts, read 1,424,184 times
Maybe those people aren't really paying such a high price. Was it expensive when they moved there? Generally poor people don't waste their money eating at expensive restaurants and the like.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:27 PM

14,199 posts, read 26,341,715 times
Default Most people judge how safe they feel by the Neighborhood they live in.

Oakland is a Dichotomy... there are very, very nice areas and very run down industrial areas. Public schools run the gamut from the bottom of the barrel to outstanding.

If anything, Oakland is a very difficult city to sum up in just a few words.

In size, Oakland is so large that the city of Piedmont is completely encircled by the city of Oakland. Piedmont has beautiful mansions and excellent public schools.

Looking at a crime map one can see that areas of crime are concentrated.

In Oakland's case perception often does not reflect reality.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:31 PM

78 posts, read 253,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanripe10 View Post

San Francisco comes off as this educated, progressive, clean, artsy european type city. Lots of money and lots of professionals it seems.

However.....right across the bay is Oakland. Oakland is ranked one of the most dangerous cities in the USA. Some people refer to it as a ghetto.

How is this possible!?!? It's suppost to be extremely expensive. Why in the world would anyone pay such a high price to live in a 'dangerous ghetto'???

Oakland is the biggest city in the Bay Area. Its land area is much bigger than San Francisco's land area. Not all of Oakland is the "Oak-town" referred to in rap songs. (forgive me if I got it wrong, I haven't listened to rap for about 20 years now) It really depends upon the neighborhood. There are nice places in Oakland are now nicer to live in, in particular, Claremont, Rockridge, Montclair. The area around Lake Merritt has cleaned up and been yuppified, too. Some of the most wonderful architectural treasures are in the Oakland and Berkeley Hills. Schools in some of those neighborhoods are decent up through jr. high.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:03 PM

228 posts, read 975,642 times
Is it nice in west oakland?? hows the area closer to san fran?

Old 11-09-2007, 06:17 PM
rah

3,102 posts, read 5,233,422 times
West Oakland is one of the more dangerous areas of Oakland. The safer parts of Oakland are in the east, especially in the hills. "East Oakland" is actually southeast of downtown, and is another part that would be considered dangerous. North Oakland, along the border with Berkeley is pretty bad too.

There are parts of SF that are just as bad though. I would even go as far to sa that innocent people are more likely to be victims in SF, whereas in Oakland most stuff is strictly gang/drug related.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:31 PM

25,291 posts, read 33,010,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I would even go as far to say that innocent people are more likely to be victims in SF, whereas in Oakland most stuff is strictly gang/drug related.
This is actually true.

I remember reading something a while back I think in the Chron, anyway, if you subtract the number of homicides in Oakland that are criminal on criminal, Oakland's homicide count goes down by 80% and San Francisco actually has much more innocents being killed.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:43 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,602,920 times
San Francisco is a tourist dependent city. Of course they will not tell you that most of the murders there are unsolved and that there are housing projects that are just as bad if not worse than anything in Oakland. Sunnydale, Potrero Hill, etc. I have seen people shot and killed in SF believe it or not. I have yet to witness this in Oakland. Thank god.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:45 PM

50,242 posts, read 47,554,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanripe10 View Post

i dont have to understand everything that happens all i got to do is duck.
mean streets buddy means streets

Old 11-09-2007, 07:34 PM

45 posts, read 7,654 times
Moderator cut: Insulting

Alot of cities are changing for the worse.

I hear alot of good about Oakland but bad also.

We can't excape the have nots who want to mess it up for everyone.

Look what happen to Detroit back in the 60's. as with many cities.

Moderator cut: Insulting

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-09-2007 at 08:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland