Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbard53 View Post
considering it's nearly impossible to go anywhere after work, or on saturday, i'd say there is a definite need for more freeway capacity
me me me

now now now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I like the idea of better coordination between the current balkanized mess of transportation agencies. However when I see "Smart Growth" I read it as anti growth. It surely is not pro-growth. While pro-growth may have seemed like a bad idea back when the US natural growth rate was above replacement and so called developing countries way above it, now, things have changed. The US is below replacement and most so called developing countries will fall below it soon. Different metros will have to compete in order to attract people, it will be below-zero sum. Places with an anti growth mentality will lose.
You've said before that you live up in a quiet hilly area, I think in San Mateo Co. I guarantee you that you'd complain if all the trees were torn up and you were surrounded by condo high-rises. For one thing, it would mean several years of loud construction noise.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:06 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
You've said before that you live up in a quiet hilly area, I think in San Mateo Co. I guarantee you that you'd complain if all the trees were torn up and you were surrounded by condo high-rises. For one thing, it would mean several years of loud construction noise.
Think about how things are in the Bay Area "Progressives'" beloved European benchmark.

Not everyone can afford to live in Paris or even its banlieus. They recognize the reality. They make it easy for people to get there from exurbs or even the nearest other metros. Massive infrastructure including rail and autoroutes are in place to accommodate this reality.

Meanwhile in the Formerly Golden State .... choke points and bottle necks.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:19 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
Quote:
I like the idea of better coordination between the current balkanized mess of transportation agencies. However when I see "Smart Growth" I read it as anti growth. It surely is not pro-growth. While pro-growth may have seemed like a bad idea back when the US natural growth rate was above replacement and so called developing countries way above it, now, things have changed. The US is below replacement and most so called developing countries will fall below it soon. Different metros will have to compete in order to attract people, it will be below-zero sum. Places with an anti growth mentality will lose.
The anti-growth reality comes from extreme environmentalists on one side and NIMBYs on the other.

The NIMBYs shout against any kind of densification anywhere, even when it's not nearby to them, blends with the community or when the alternative (and our reality) is absurd real estate prices. See the fight against BRT on the El Camino Real as an example.

The enviros fight against any kind of expansion beyond the UGBs, even if that growth would balance with open and natural space and relies on public, not private, transit. For this, just check out the dust-binned Coyote Valley plan in south San Jose.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:31 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbard53 View Post
Considering it's nearly impossible to go anywhere after work, or on Saturday, I'd say there is a definite need for more freeway capacity
Adding freeway capacity doesn't reduce congestion except in the super-short run. In just the short run, more locals simply do more freeway driving at times that are more convenient; before, they chose alternative routes, alternative times, or not to drive at all. In the long run, added capacity induces more people choose to drive longer distances; before, some jobs were too far from home and some homes were too far from work.

Congestion isn't bad any more than the price of gold is bad. Congestion is simply how we "pay" for driving at peak hours. If a person cannot "afford" that price, paid in time, then that person doesn't drive that route at that time. There cannot be no traffic in an urban area during peak hours any more realistically than gold can be free and desirable at the same time.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:52 PM

272 posts, read 322,495 times
there is a much simpler solution here

double existing income and property taxes and there is no congestion anymore

Old 07-23-2013, 06:07 PM

119 posts, read 233,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Adding freeway capacity doesn't reduce congestion except in the super-short run. In just the short run, more locals simply do more freeway driving at times that are more convenient; before, they chose alternative routes, alternative times, or not to drive at all. In the long run, added capacity induces more people choose to drive longer distances; before, some jobs were too far from home and some homes were too far from work.

Congestion isn't bad any more than the price of gold is bad. Congestion is simply how we "pay" for driving at peak hours. If a person cannot "afford" that price, paid in time, then that person doesn't drive that route at that time. There cannot be no traffic in an urban area during peak hours any more realistically than gold can be free and desirable at the same time.
That's just silly. I "pay" through taxes (gasoline) and tolls to drive - I should be able to travel more than 5 miles within a reasonable amount of time. Anyway, not sure people think that Congestion is "just the price you pay" b/c I for one have no idea what I'm "paying" for.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:57 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
Think about how things are in the Bay Area "Progressives'" beloved European benchmark.

Not everyone can afford to live in Paris or even its banlieus. They recognize the reality. They make it easy for people to get there from exurbs or even the nearest other metros. Massive infrastructure including rail and autoroutes are in place to accommodate this reality.

Meanwhile in the Formerly Golden State .... choke points and bottle necks.
Not really a great comparison, Paris is flat, not organized around a Bay, and has been lived in for thousands of years. Caltrain sucks for what it is but BART does a decent job of tying the East Bay and SF together. The mountains and the Bay really balkanize the Bay Area, especially because there's so many independent towns.

I'm not sure what you're calling for, you're fussing about "progressives" laying down mandates from above about a regional building/transit plan, then asking why the Bay Area can't be like Paris and have a regional building/transit plan.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Not really a great comparison, Paris is flat, not organized around a Bay, and has been lived in for thousands of years. Caltrain sucks for what it is but BART does a decent job of tying the East Bay and SF together. The mountains and the Bay really balkanize the Bay Area, especially because there's so many independent towns.

I'm not sure what you're calling for, you're fussing about "progressives" laying down mandates from above about a regional building/transit plan, then asking why the Bay Area can't be like Paris and have a regional building/transit plan.
Bay area building plan is a joke. When was the last time bay area built any significant highway or public transit infrastructure? The whole area suffers a moronic, self-infected, paralysis when it comes to expand infrastructure to accomodate population growth. When I lived in Dallas, the city was adding light rail and freeway expansion at an insane pace to accomodate growth. Not here! The highway infrastrcuture and massive traffic choke point that exists once you get off of bay bridge in SF will be upgraded and rebuilt in a matter of couple of years in TX or anywhere else in the world. Bay area planners want to build an expensive slum and nothing else!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:59 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Bay area building plan is a joke. When was the last time bay area built any significant highway or public transit infrastructure? The whole area suffers a moronic, self-infected, paralysis when it comes to expand infrastructure to accomodate population growth. When I lived in Dallas, the city was adding light rail and freeway expansion at an insane pace to accomodate growth. Not here! The highway infrastrcuture and massive traffic choke point that exists once you get off of bay bridge in SF will be upgraded and rebuilt in a matter of couple of years in TX or anywhere else in the world. Bay area planners want to build an expensive slum and nothing else!
So, why did you leave, andy? You're clearly not happy in the Bay Area. Have you considered moving back to TX? You might be a lot happier.

Anyway, it seems to me that A plan is better than No plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland