Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

I think some people actually think there is some sort of "walled garden" around the "haves" and the "have nots" in Oakland. Obviously there isn't. And there are plenty of people with plenty of money and options who happily live in Oakland. So what does that tell you about the quality of life?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:16 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The thing is, sometimes random crime happens. Like a few months ago someone got killed at the Great Mall in Milpitas. And of course there was the infamous German tourist in SF. The question that you really have to ask, what are the odds that random crime is going to happen to you. These random crimes get uber publicized when they happen in Oakland. But when you really look at the map, they are pretty rare.

According to popular opinion the odds of that happening in Oakland are really high. In reality, that isn't the case. I successfully go about my daily business in Oakland without incident. Today I walked around the Lake.

As someone mentioned, if this wasn't the case, Gentoo, 18Montclair, Mayorhaggar and I would all be ghosts.
I mentioned it and I am a ghost. Here to haunt the living sh*t out of certain posters

Old 07-30-2013, 09:20 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,598,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I mentioned it and I am a ghost. Here to haunt the living sh*t out of certain posters
I'm Stevenjuice, the Ghost with the Most.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:27 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
I'm Stevenjuice, the Ghost with the Most.
Wish I could stick around and haunt with you. Will be on my way to Washington on Thursday.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:05 AM

3 posts, read 2,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
Going through West Oakland in the day the only impression I ever get is that I am in a poor area. Doesn't feel particularly dangerous. I always see white hipsters riding bikes, not typical of a "dangerous" hood. Even at the Acorn projects, the area looks quiet and I see a lot of Asian families walking around. Some areas look worse, (the prostitutes on Market) but it looks and feels a lot safer than San Francisco's Tenderloin. Going through East Oakland, I get the impression that a lot more crime occurs. But I don't think I would feel unsafe out East either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
So the OP is saying essentially: 'It doesnt seem nearly as bad in person as I thought it would be, is that a true observation?'

And the answer is, it depends but general street smarts and awareness should suffice, which is true. The fastest growing demographic in Oakland is affluent families and hipsters---two of the most coveted groups.

Ironic that people who wouldnt know are so adamant in telling actual Oaklanders that we dont know what we're talking about.

This is so common only with Oakland threads...I dont understand why but whatever.
i interpreted it differently. it seems to me the op is saying: "if white hipsters are willing to live in a poor Black area then it can't be that bad. seeing hipsters make me feel safe,even though I'm afraid of Black people"
and
"Asian families live in the projects. Asians are non-threatening. Black people are dangerous,but the fact that Asians live there helps me feel safer"

no one else found this offensive that he injected race into the discussion?

Old 07-31-2013, 12:34 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Once again, per capita is misleading. It still does not tell you your chances of becoming a crime victim.
And "crimes per square mile" does?

Per capita crime rates are highly relevant - much moreso than looking at raw numbers or number per square mile. While they don't tell you your mathematical odds, it can be rationally inferred that higher per capita crime rate generally increases your odds vs. lower per capita crime rate. There is a reason why educated statisticians consistently use this as a general metric.

It's a big "politically correct" sport du jour around here to always defend and discount crime in Oakland (can almost get you censored), but it needs to be said that the statistics over time are pervasive and telling - Oakland is and has been less safe than San Francisco, and it's not even close. Furthermore, Oakland has steadily ranked as one of the most dangerous cities in the entire country, never mind just the Bay area. It's not to say that there aren't nice things and good areas in Oakland, but the numbers simply are what they are and do not lie - PERIOD. Not sure why it has become so trendy to lie about them when the data is so readily available to the public.

Last edited by ambient; 07-31-2013 at 12:43 AM..

Old 07-31-2013, 04:43 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,598,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And "crimes per square mile" does?

Per capita crime rates are highly relevant - much moreso than looking at raw numbers or number per square mile. While they don't tell you your mathematical odds, it can be rationally inferred that higher per capita crime rate generally increases your odds vs. lower per capita crime rate. There is a reason why educated statisticians consistently use this as a general metric.
I never said "crimes per square mile" did.

There is a reason why the FBI and criminologist point out that crime rates are misleading because it doesn't reveal your individual crime risk due to the fact it does not consider the many variables that affect the nature, extent, and volume of crime.

Quote:
It's a big "politically correct" sport du jour around here to always defend and discount crime in Oakland (can almost get you censored), but it needs to be said that the statistics over time are pervasive and telling - Oakland is and has been less safe than San Francisco, and it's not even close. Furthermore, Oakland has steadily ranked as one of the most dangerous cities in the entire country, never mind just the Bay area.
Crime rates are misleading, therefore crime rankings are misleading.

Quote:
It's not to say that there aren't nice things and good areas in Oakland, but the numbers simply are what they are and do not lie - PERIOD. Not sure why it has become so trendy to lie about them when the data is so readily available to the public.
Really? You are going to sit up here and say "it's not to say," but when it is said, we're discounting crime, cheerleaders, and lying. Look, a nonresident of Oakland can not tell me about this city. PERIOD

Old 07-31-2013, 05:45 AM

104 posts, read 190,257 times
Oakland has a high crime rate, but that is a result of a some sketchy neighborhoods. Oakland is hardly a scary place in general, it is a large city that covers more land area than San Francisco. Just use common sense and avoid the bad parts of town.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:43 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Look, a nonresident of Oakland can not tell me about this city. PERIOD

Old 07-31-2013, 09:29 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,906 times
Some little girl got killed recently.
Also an old lady was shot in her car. She lived in the neighborhood for a long time.
Very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland