Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:50 AM

582 posts, read 1,482,255 times

Advertisements

There are decent apartments in Richmond around the Hilltop Mall area, and some spilling into El Sobrante.

I lived in that area for a long time when I lived in The Bay Area, and liked it because it was kind of close to a lot of things. Rent is a little cheaper, it doesn't get as hot, it is not far from Oakland and San Francisco, a direct shot to get to Marin County, easy access via Hwy 4 or San Pablo Dam Rd to Central Contra Costa County, and close to the bridge for driving north to Sacramento.

Since you will be working in the area, that would eliminate any commute hassles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 11:50 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmt1111 View Post
Hello! I'm going to be relocating from Texas this December or January. I'd like to rent a place. I've spent a handful of weeks in the Bay Area over the last year and know a few areas that seem nice (Rockridge, select parts of Berkeley, Jack London District, and Point Richmond), but I don't know the feasibility of living in these areas. I'm 26 and would like an area with fellow young professionals. I'll be working in Richmond, would like to live fairly close to a BART station(not essential- just would be nice), not married, no kids, would like parking included, want a safe area, and would really like to keep rent for a 1 bed 1 bath to around $1500 with a max of $1800. I'd also like a place that is not a dump. Is this possible? Are there areas I'm not considering (San Rafael? Walnut Creek?). Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!
I saw my former apartment in Walnut Creek, 2br 1ba, for 1500. And it was 3 blocks from the BART. I think someone got it, but there are a lot of apartments in Walnut Creek, and it's a great town. You can transfer on the BART to get to Richmond.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Those are certainly interesting (and weird!) incidents, but I was wondering when a murder, rape, armed robbery, or car jacking took place here recently? Oakland has a really bad reputation for violent crime, so if that's spilling over into JLS, I'd really like to know when/where this has happened and where I can read about it in the news..
I have hear about apx 1-2 violent incidents per year in JLS over the past 3 years. Not much more. Rapes aren't well reported so it is hard to say

There was a movie theater incident over a year ago. And a few years ago a night club shooting. These things are anomalies. I can't say that I remember every incident, but I can't think of more than a dozen over the past 5-10 years.

I know that car break-ins do occasionally happen, but I think of that as urban crime.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,039 times
Thanks for all the replies!

Some quick points:
I'm willing to commute about 30 to 45 minutes (in average traffic) and will most likely be driving, unless I can find a place in Richmond. What is wrong with San Rafael? Is Walnut Creek over 45 minutes away with traffic?

The reason I want to live near a BART station is primarily because I would like easy access to SF, but it is not essential. Any strategies for apartment finding? I've browsed padmapper and craigslist (I know its early, but I was curious as the quality of apartments my money will get). Apartments seem to go very quickly, especially in Rockridge. Any other resources? A younger crowd is pretty important - not too young, though. young professions= great, Graduate students=okay, undergrads=not so much.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:06 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
It's a 12 min BART ride to SF from Lake Merritt BART, or a 15 min drive to downtown SF without traffic. It's about 35 mins from WC, or a 25 min drive without traffic. There's no BART stations in Marin Co. where San Rafael is, although it's a quick drive across the bridge ($5 toll) to Richmond.

I found my place in JLS using zillow/trulia. My complex posted an ad that morning for a vacancy, and I went in an hour later and rented it. Things move FAST here.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I live near Piedmont Ave area. BART from Macarthur is about 20 minutes to downtown SF. 19th is about 15 minutes. Driving is about 12-15 with no traffic. 30 with traffic. The bus to downtown SF is also about 20 minutes!

Old 08-12-2013, 10:24 AM

386 posts, read 797,519 times
Rockridge rents: there is/was a one bedroom on 63rd near College Ave as of last week. The price is $2300 per month. While I think that's higher that average, prices are definitely on the rise there.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:10 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
$2300 for a 1 BR? That's nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland